Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by achaeon View Post
    WoW's hodge podge of trying to appeal to every possible player base is in fact what made me dislike it in the first place, their unending hunger to grow subscriptions and appeal to the masses rather than take a concept that was good and perfect it. Now they're in a constant struggle to balance the monster they created instead.
    Verbally orgasmic.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

http://www.brighthub.com/video-games...les/35992.aspx
    from Feb 3, 2011

* World of Warcraft – 12,000,000
    * Aion - 3,500,000
    * Runescape – 1,300,000
    * Lineage – 1,000,000
    * Lineage II – 1,000,000
    * Dofus – 540,000
    * Final Fantasy XI – 350,000
    * Eve Online – 325,000
    * Lord of the Rings Online – 210,000
    * City of Heroes/Villains - 125,000
    * Age of Conan – 120,000
    * Ultima Online - 100,000
    * Everquest - 100,000
    * Warhammer Online – 80,000

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Rift will lose half of the subscribers after couple months anyway
    Wrong. Trion is the younger brother of Blizzard in most regards. Rift will not be another WAR, STO or APB.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Please dont turn this into a wow vs rift thread. I think we've had enough of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    ok what the hell?? What is Lineage!?
    That's the first thing I thought when I saw it xD

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Rift will lose half of the subscribers after couple months anyway
    I feel like this will happen, it seems to happen with every game (including WoW, specially when expansions are released), always happens when I try to play a new MMO. Its exciting to begin with but then it just gets boring or I have a moment where I realize it wasn't as fun as I thought it was. There hasn't been a game that keeps me in, even WoW makes me have this moment every few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Punky View Post
    You realize that site is a fraud right? None of those numbers are even remotely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Except blizzard don't do this and it has been said many times by many people (Including blizzard themselves). There was a blue post explaining the accounts that they take into account. Its pretty much just anyone who has a subscription (explanation: anyone who has their card on their account with a subscription plan).

Trials, Non Subscribed, Banned etc. DO-NOT-COUNT.
    Blizzard counts the free month with their initial sale as an active subscription. The notion that an active subscription begins on the 31st day of playing world of warcraft is false.

Thus people buying and not playing past the first month attribute to the numbers on all of these games.

There was a panel at 2009 GDC where they showed extensive figures comparing units shipped, units sold, and accounts retained into first paying month for the mmo's of the moment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PkPhuoko View Post
    Blizzard counts the free month with their initial sale as an active subscription. The notion that an active subscription begins on the 31st day of playing world of warcraft is false.

Thus people buying and not playing past the first month attribute to the numbers on all of these games.

There was a panel at 2009 GDC where they showed extensive figures comparing units shipped, units sold, and accounts retained into first paying month for the mmo's of the moment.
    Ofcourse that counts. When you buy the game you get a free month. Why would you not a subscriber if you BOUGHT the game to play it? The free month counts as a current subscription. I believe you even need to enter you bank details when you create a new account (with the game) but no money is taken off until the free month wears off.

Deleted
    lol...Yeah, I'm pretty sure we won't see a WoW killer for at least another century.

Quote Originally Posted by Castia View Post
    Rift doesnt have a million players

It has 1 million registered accounts,lots of people including myself have an account but didnt buy the game.
    Rift had 1million "head start" digital collectors edition pre-orders.
    a week later the normal hardcopy was released in stores and numbers hav gone up by a hell of a lot more.

How many of them wil stay subscribed is a different story, but yes, comfortably they have more than 1 million suscribtions at the moment, with a Lot of end game content already available and the next teirs already on beta testing.

Well we still haven't seen a Everquest killer. It is still very much alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Emias View Post
    lol...Yeah, I'm pretty sure we won't see a WoW killer for at least another century.
    One day people will realize that there is no such thing as a WoW killer and stop using the phrase. I still don't understand why people keep looking for a so called "WoW killer." If an mmo is good, and has enough people playing it that the gameplay isn't effected by the population, isn't that good enough. Also going by which game has more subscriptions alone is a terrible way to judge it. Think about it, in WoW the only people you really play with are those on your server. If WoW suddenly lost 5 million subscriptions, would it make any real difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DotDotDot View Post
    Rift had 1million "head start" digital collectors edition pre-orders.
    a week later the normal hardcopy was released in stores and numbers hav gone up by a hell of a lot more.

How many of them wil stay subscribed is a different story, but yes, comfortably they have more than 1 million suscribtions at the moment, with a Lot of end game content already available and the next teirs already on beta testing.
    Actually when they announced the 1 million number, it was for Forum accounts, not pre-orders. Anyone who was in the beta was allowed to have a forum account up until the headstart, so that number really means nothing. I'm guessing most of those 1 million accounts are not allowed to post on the forums anymore because they don't have a valid subscription. I know my husband and I have two accounts from beta, but don't own the game or a sub for it.

If you consult VGChartz, as of a week before release, the number or preorders they have is 59,000ish, which is no where near a million. I assume most of their sales will come from box sales or digital after release, not pre-orders. So, saying they had 1 million digital pre-orders is WAY off.

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php?date=40601

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    WoW's subscriber count hasn't really changed much at all the last few years. It was 11.5million subscriptions(not players. Probably closer to 7 million) in 2008. It reached 12 million before Cataclysm, but it probably has dropped off a lot recently. There is more talk of being bored than ever. It is only natural for anything this old.
    There's nothing other than your highly subjective anecdotal evidence to support that, though. As Herecius says, there's no real reason that subscription numbers for WoW should be taking a dive like you seem to hope they are.

Just look at the charts and data posted in the thread. Aside from the blip that was the brief ban of WoW over a legal dispute in China (and thus an unavoidable and totally temporary loss of subscriptions), WoW's subscriber base has done nothing but climb upwards.

Cooking the Stats

The majority count anyone who is paying for a subscription, anyone in a free trial period or anyone who has been active on an account within the last month. They make no distinction for users with multiple accounts so they will be counted separately. Clearly the figures will not be representative of the number of users you can expect to find online within a game world at any given time – that number will be much lower.

Gold sellers named afdfasfasd count in wow. I also find it amusing how they have a flat 12 million subs. Definitly cooked.