New Druid shapeshifting idea

The new ToL form made me think of a new approach to to shapeshifting i think would make gameplay more interesting. Before you say this would be OP realize I'm not posting any numbers and the ones i do (CDs and such) are placeholders.

Ok, so first make all forms baseline (including ToL and moonkin) and have a shared cooldown. Travel form would be off this cooldown. So now thats a druid can turn into any form this would mean a feral druid could turn into a tree for a small boost in healing. A moonkin could turn into a tree for the same effect or turn into a bear for some extra defense. A resto druid could choose between going moonkin for some quick burst damage or going tree for better more efficient healing. If you spec balance you get permanent moonkin form off of the cooldown and feral gets bear and cat form in the same respect. Resto would still always have a CD on its form except travel form.

This would make the jack of all trades class better fit that mold for a obviously short time. I was thinking the CD could be between 3-5 min and last 15-30 seconds.
    After writing it all down i kinda like the idea less, but would still be fun, maybe just needs some tweaking to the idea.

im a druid and i dont like the idea at alll

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting idea but not plausible. Blizzard seems to be desperately wanting to move away from concepts like 'jack of all trades master of none'. It just does not fit into todays gaming mechanics anymore.

I would like to elaborate further on this subject but I am running out of time. Besides, I think it has been said often enough in other related discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Blizzard seems to be desperately wanting to move away from concepts like 'jack of all trades master of none'. It just does not fit into todays gaming mechanics anymore.
    Yeah blizzard is, but I don't like all the class homogenizing which is prob why i like ideas like this.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, no, and no. There's a reason Feral heals are so gimp.

no. just... no

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    No, no, and no. There's a reason Feral heals are so gimp.
    I'm not saying make it so feral can become super healer for a few seconds, just a little better.
    Along the same lines im not saying resto should be able to do tons of damage, just make it a little better and hopefully more fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veritasxsaint View Post
    Yeah blizzard is, but I don't like all the class homogenizing which is prob why i like ideas like this.
    I don't like the homogenizing either but trying to change Blizzards mind on that is impossible. It does make balancing for them easier, which seems to be a major issue for them. Especially seeing as it still is fucked up, for PvP that is.

Eternalwhite:
    If the OP his idea would be realized the whole druid mechanics would have to be different to not speak about the rebalancing. But yeah..

I agree. This isn't a good idea and it doesn't even really sound fun. We don't need more ppl QQing about druids are OP!
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I see your idea, and thought process of how that would work, whether or not you articulated it. It would be interesting, no doubt, but it would be a complete overhaul to druids how they are now, and a complete overhaul to how roles/specs work in WoW. Sounds Rift-ish, to be honest, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just throwing that out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand your idea, but I think its not that good of an idea, people would just complain and QQ about how druids get to do everything and how we're op blah blah blah.

I just miss being a perma Tree. It sounds interesting though. But Blizzard would never want to redo an entire class, (albeit a little broken in a few specs) because it would either drive away the existing players because of the overhaul and/or drive away propective new players to the class. I personally would just like to be in a permanent ToL form for the look of it. I feel very un-Druid like with the loss of the look. I don't know how they would fix it, except for maybe giving the healing boost on a CD.

Probably not the place for it, but in pvp, anytime I go into ToL, I just get CC'd and nuked because I look different and the other side can pick me out from anywhere. Just a thought
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

I saw a similar idea that I liked much more.

I can't find the thread but it was centered around Druids having more baseline abilities.
    Forms would still be only be for their respective specs but certain abilities would become baseline to make Druids more hybrid.

Just some examples:

Mangle could be baseline so that both resto and balance druids could deal some bleed damage by starting off in cat form, getting mangle up and stacking bleeds.

Swiftmend could be baseline so that both feral and balance druids would have a more viable self heal.

Starsurge could be baseline and scale with SP/AP (whichever is higher) so that feral and resto druids also had a Ranged burst ability on a small CD.

These are just some random examples and I am thinking from a pvp perspective.

Offcourse Resto/Boomkins shouldn't be able to kill you with bleeds but it should be enough to be worth using.
    Swiftmend shouldn't make boomkins/ferals able to outheal damage taken but rather give them a small self heal on a small CD.
    Starsurge shouldn't hit for ridicilous numbers as resto/feral but be more like a finisher if for example you play feral, get someone low and then you get rooted and they run away, or if you play resto in arena and your teammates get someone low and then they get CCed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still waiting for them to fix the Troll Druid cat for back right leg................