Xbox 360 RROD (Red ring of death)

So, yesterday was my 21st birthday and had a great time untill i went to my friends place to play some xbox 360 because we had just recently got the new Fight Night Champion and Marvel Vs. Capcom game. Guess what.. that damn thing was showing 3 red lights and i was demoralized, i searched online for possible solutions and i was just reading that it was a hardware problem. My 1st guess was to assume it was a HEAT issue. I told my friends online and my buddy told me his friend fixes RROD problems w/ ease. This may sound retarded and stupid but i went and did this anyway because my warrenty is well over with.

1st thing i did was place it in the freezer for 30 mins.

2nd thing i did was wrap a towel around it and flipped it upside down for 30 mins.

then i replugged it in and the son of a bitch worked. I'm happy now but i know this has to be a temporary fix so i plan on opening it and dusting it.

how have you fixed your RROD problems?

I've never gotten one.. thankfully. But yeah, that IS how most people fix theirs, at least from what my friends have told me.

Had mine since 05 or 06, the closest thing to RRoD I've had is when the power cuts off while it's on and it shows the red lights. However once you turn it off and back on it works fine. As for some of the quick fixes, they say they are temporary, and every time you use one the problem comes back quicker. That might just be rumor though.

what i did was that towel trick but then traded it in for a brand new one you may have to pay a bit for it but atleast you get half of a brand new one for a broken one at eb games or gamestop

Deleted
    Never... buy... an... xbox... evahr

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Video Games subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    Moved to Video Games subforum.
    You don't like cats but you are a kingdom hearts fan...I am torn between like and dislike of you >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soradakey View Post
    You don't like cats but you are a kingdom hearts fan...I am torn between like and dislike of you >.>
    For what its worth, I like you!

Now back on topic of the X-box RROD.

Deleted
    the problem with RROD is that the wires detach within the system cause of the heat, the attach points melt. The towel trick mostly helps 2-3 days. Best option u have is contact the company, send your xbox for repair and pay around 80 euro's.

Not sure if opening up the Xbox is the best idea, if you are on the warranty i wouldnt. Ship it to MS let them handle it. If you open it the warranty is void so...

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Not sure if opening up the Xbox is the best idea, if you are on the warranty i wouldnt. Ship it to MS let them handle it. If you open it the warranty is void so...
    Its only void if you break the sticker. Just be very careful. At least that is how it was on my copy.

You can also buy a new one off some sites and just replace it if you rip it.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Even if you void the warranty you can still cough up some cash, buy one from [insert mass retail wholesale store], swap the cases and serial sticker and return your faulty box to the said store and get your money back. Yes, its morally wrong but it beats having to pay Microsoft for a product they shipped faulty.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't read anything because my ADHD focus's too much on pickley's signature... but anways, when i got red ring of death, i boxed up my xbox for a month, came back to it later and it worked fine. IMO freezer sounds really dumb, just because making something really really cold won't solve anything.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

As someone stated, the towel trick is a horrible idea. The old xbox basically had really cheap solder on the boards, and the towel trick is supposed to overheat the console, to the point where the solder starts to melt and ultimately reattaches to the chips. It's a terrible, terrible idea, and not a really long term solution. There are better ways when out of warranty to do it, involving opening the console, that won't end in as much failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    NEVER NEVER do the towel thing thats not a fix(its part of it tho cause overheating can cause the thermal compound to create a good seal again but this does far from always work).

Ot there are great guides out there that teach you step for step how to fix your rrod: http://www.squidoo.com/xbox_360_red_...ow_to_guide123
    I did this one when my old xbox that i had since release got it worked like a charm. And keept working untill i sold it and replaced it with a xbox 360 slim.
    Only one edit to the guide: after you have done everything dont screw it together leave the wires for the cooler out of the plug and let it overheat (you will see 4 red lights instead of 3). After that let it cool down (30-60 mins) place the wire back in the plug and try it out.

Keep in mind only do this if you dont have any warranty left.
    Last edited by schippie; 2011-03-11 at 06:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How long ago did you get your Xbox? When the problem happened 4 years ago, they extended the warranty to 3 years for the RROD, but some of the problem hardware was still out there. The turn around time on mine was about 7 business days total, which included sending a box with a shipping label. Otherwise check the above poster's link. A friend of mine took his apart and fixed his just fine.