Just sharing my story

So. Amongst all the "new computer" thread, i though i'd just share my story with buying my new computer, since i'm bored and frustrated:

It all began with me workin my ass off to get the money for building a new computer that'd replace my now almost 6 years old computer (BTX case = no upgrading motherboard).
    I then started researching, and ended up buying a rig with MSI P67 GD65A mobo, i5-2500K etc etc. I got the email confirming my order and the long wait started.
    The time finally come for my new toy to arrive, and this is the first thing i see: A big hole in the side of the box. "Crap - alright, i'll see if it has taken any damage" i say to myself, and start unboxing. Firs, i notice there's a small crack in the top of the case, but since it's nothing big at all, i decide to proceed checking the computer for proper wiring etc, and to plug in the PSU (long story short: Ordered it with small PSU, upgrading with my own 750W PSU). When i open the case, every nerds nightmare appears: The brand new GTX 570 is hanging only by the 3 screws in the expansion slots! The PCIe slot isn't plugged in, and i silently cry inside myself, thinking "what kind of monster would do this?". I plug in the GFX card, and boot up the computer, ready to install windows and to see if the GFX card has been damaged. ARTIFACTS!!!! And they are everywhere, even in the BIOS. At this point, i'm still in the denial state, so i desperately flash BIOS to latest version and install the newest drivers, hoping that it will fix it. Needless to say that it didn't. I've now RMA'ed the entire computer (after waisting half a tank of gas, driving to the manufacturer to have them fix it, all just to hear them say: This is something that happened in the mail, you have to ship it back as a transport damage) and i'm waiting very unpatiently to get a call from the shipping company, telling me if it ends up in a totaled computer and me getting my money back, or if the manufacturer will be fixing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to hear that. You seem to have the knowledge in you to build PC's yourself, though. Why did you order some kind of pre-built? Get it all in separate boxes ftw.

Believe it or not, this was actually the cheapest way to get it =/

Quote Originally Posted by Mestofiles View Post
    cheap mostly != good.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    cheap mostly != good.
    This is indeed very true, but with MSI Mobo, Asus GFX card etc. the hardware is by all means great. My friend ordered form there without trouble, and it is actually a well known commpany.. Bad luck ftw

10+ Year Old Account
    I never trust other people with my builds - even if they're Dell. If you can't see the part before it comes out of the anti-static packaging then there is no proving that you didn't cause the damage. Also, I'm just way better than those companies and their automated production lines - goddamn it, computers need loving tenderness before being put together. Otherwise they will curse you by making their existence as difficult for you as possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    You made the mistake of opening to box instead of just taking pictures and returning it, sorry to hear about that though
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

It's another lesson learned the hard way =/ It's now on the way to the shipping company's "transport damage" department, where they'll confirm the hole and send it to the manufacturer to have them repair it and the shipping company will cover the damage. Now it's just a loooooong wait before my new toy gets here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man thats sucks dude hope you can get this problem resolved quickly

After talking to both the shipping company and the manufacturer today, it's starting to look bright again, although i'll never get to sleep well until my new rig is sitting comfortably on my desk

Where did you order it from? a big pre-made company like CyberPower? or a NewEgg-esque site that offers prebuilt computers to build off of?

To me that shouldn't matter as from what described it sounds like it was clearly damaged during shipping, if it suffered enough damage to tear a hole in the box / container AND crack the case, then it must have been dropped somewhere by some handler which must have unseated the video card. I hate hearing stories about UPS / FedEx employees that toss around packages without knowing what's inside, I guess I've always been lucky when I've ordered big / expensive things I have it sent to my mom's house since it's a short drive away, but I know the guy who always has us on his route, and he handles everything like a professional.

Hope you get it resolved man, glad to hear you're making progress.

I ordered it from Føniks Computer which is a very big computer company in Denmark. They've been on the market since the first computers came to Denmark and have always had a good reputation. As it stands right now, i'll get everything covered. The shipping company is Post Denmark which is probably the largest shipping company here in DK, and although they often treat the packages like trash, it's not a problem to get them to cover any damage.

I'll be updating the thread when i hear more

Update:
    The shipping company just called me. They have acknowledged the damage and will be shipping the computer to the store for repair today The shipping company will cover any damage

lucker, hehe. but how can anyone come to the idea to actually flash the bios of a pc that came in a damaged package, with a broken case and graphic artifacts?

I was desperate tbh... I've been waiting 4 months to get a new computer to replace my 5 years old computer (one of my tires decided to blow during Christmas, forcing me to blow my beginning computer budget on 4 new tires.) and refused to believe that the GFX card was broken. I probably thought something along the lines of: This is a new generation motherboard with 1.0 BIOS. Maybe that's a problem, let's flash it.
    As for the case, it was merely a small crack. It wasn't even the size on my thumb and on a plastic part of the case, hardly noticeable.

Update: The manufacturer sent me an email this Wednesday (didn't notice until today, i know, me = bad bad person) and it's ready to be picked up I immediately called them to have them upgrade the PSU to a Corsair 750TX, and the second i'm off school today, i will be driving to the shop to pick it up

Update: The manufacturer sent me an email this Wednesday (didn't notice until today, i know, me = bad bad person) and it's ready to be picked up I immediately called them to have them upgrade the PSU to a Corsair 750TX, and the second i'm off school today, i will be driving to the shop to pick it up
    Glad it all worked out for you and good choice on the psu got the same myself.
    Ain't no chuch when you're living in the wild

I've just returned home with my new toy (after driving for 2½ hours to get it, but 2 cans of Redbull and the excitement kept me awake), and Windows is installing as i type this (while writing a chemestry report about strong and weak acids). So far, everything seems to work as it should, although they really fail at cable management. I'll probably redo it tonight after raid and upload a nice little picture of the final looks

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Congrats on getting this horrifying story turned around into a very positive story! Great PSU too, I have a Corsair 650TX that I've had almost a year and everything runs perfect.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water