Boss fights in MMOs

I have noticed in each instance I have done on Rift that there is at least one to two bosses that are exactly like World of Warcraft bosses.

For example.

One boss you need to kite from spores before they explode. Another boss webs you and players have to kill the person webbed then the boss summons adds. A boss in high level instance reminds me of that last boss all the way up on Kara where he summons those demon things that AOE. Well, same concept in this instance only graphics are different.

If you have been playing Rift you would find some of these fights exact copies from WoW but only with different graphics.

The whole point of this topic is to ask why can't MMOs come up with their own ideas for boss fights rather then stealing them from another game? Rift is the only game that I have played that made it obvious they stole things from WoW.

So, how would you like a fight to be?

Everyone has to run a maze and you defeat the boss or what? Would be pretty cool tho xD
    When I want to log out, where's the save button? I can't find it anywhere, been logged in for three years now.

I want a boss fight that is unique and not an exact copy from another game.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    You're playing the wrong genre then, because everything you see now has already been done.

WoW's bosses aren't all original.

It's not easy making something new, there's a limit to people, once they break it, they make something new.... then they wait until something new comes out.

Indeed what Paladinwtf says. Its not like WOW is the first MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    You're playing the wrong genre then, because everything you see now has already been done.
    It's a totally different thing when the boss is an exact copy from another game.. I mean EXACT copy... It does not bother me so much that they take some mechanics.. It bothers me that they use those mechanics that copy the same thing the boss they took em from does.. At least make it unique and do it in a different way.

ok, good luck then, your gonna wanna go and play.

hmm everquest, because wow guildwars, and all the other "new" mmo copy mechanics from those previous games.

Deleted
    Boss fights should be epic!
    - Change of scenery throughout the fight
    - Mini-bosses during the boss fight
    - Boss transforming (like in DBZ ,transforming into a higher being always makes things more epic!)

As for mechanics,an idea would be :

Imagine a fight agaisn't a big boss like Cho'gall,except aside from your raid you're actually part of the alliance(or horde) army and you're fighting Cho'gall with tons of npcs,soldiers,healers.
    The fight is not a classical fight,you arrive on the spot and everybody is already fighting Cho'gall,you receive quests from the ''Commander'' like destroy Cho'galls minions,heal soldiers or deal dmg on Cho'gall,and once you finish the quest you would go through phasing,its hard to explain but it would be like an encounter divided up in several phased quests at raid difficulty.

And here is a video I found of one of those bosses that are pretty much exact copies from WoW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJ4z...eature=related

And here is a video I found of one of those bosses that are pretty much exact copies from WoW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJ4z...eature=related
    lol that fight is an exact copy of the Fungal Giant boss in Underbog.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychos View Post
    Hungarfen (The "Fungal Giant boss in underbog")
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Hungarfen
    Wormwood, the "copy":
    -url removed-
    "Wormwood

Wormwood is a fun fight that requires a lot of movement. If you have a build that uses more instants than not, use it. Wormwood has only two abilities, Fierce Stomp, which is usually used on the tank, that does a knockback. The second is called Fungul Blossom. What this does is spawn a large Rotting Blossom on top of the target. It cast's Unstable Spores which is a short ranged PBAOE damaging ability.

There are two phases, where the second phase triggers at 50% health. In the first phase Wormwood will randomly target someone and cast Fungul Blossom. Players will have to watch where they are standing. In the second phase, when Wormwood casts Fungul Blossom it is targeted on everyone so with five people five blossoms will appear. The Blossoms despawn quickly, but make sure you're constantly aware of what is around you.

When Wormwood is at low health he gets a buff called Blood Frenzy, which can be purged, that increases damage.

If you can avoid the Blossoms, the fight is easy to win.
    "
    Yep, they're exactly the same, right?
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-04-16 at 07:43 AM. Reason: url removed

Maybe it's time to switch games to the "World of Tanks" that has a big ad being advertised on MMO-Champion...I'm sure boss fights in that game are awesome!

that really isn't even possible at this point

wow took from EQ and i'm sure EQ took from something, there just isn't much you can do

---------- Post added 2011-03-12 at 02:46 PM ----------

and that's something that may set GW2 apart, there are no tanks/healers/dps, there is no way to guarantee the boss will hit one person, it's a dynamic and fluid encounter where people kite/root/stun the boss to prevent him from nailing the weakest link in the group, while some people pewpew/off heal and others mostly heal/off dps

it's different because it isn't structured and some won't like it, but you also have to manually dodge attacks, standing there and tanking it = death

that will have a MUCH different feel but even that will use "old mechanics" i'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by Psychos View Post
    And believe me, it is like that in pretty much all the instances in Rift.

If you played WoW you will be all "LOL That is just like that boss from WoW"

---------- Post added 2011-03-12 at 04:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ferron View Post
    ok, good luck then, your gonna wanna go and play.

hmm everquest, because wow guildwars, and all the other "new" mmo copy mechanics from those previous games.
    You can't claim Guild Wars 2 has copied boss mechanics from other MMOs because of the fact that you only saw one boss and that was in a demo last year. And even that boss looked unique.