New monitor, new fps problem.

Hiya, I just got a new monitor with a higher resolution than my old one. My new resolution is 1920x1080 and the old one was 1650x1050. Everything look beautiful untill I started playing games.

When playing WoW, I used to get around 60fps with all settings on ultra while questing. Now with the new monitor I get about 3fps with all settings on ultra and 24fps with all settings on low. I can understand a little drop in fps, but this is insane.

Any ideas on what may be going on? Monitor is HP S2331a.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here's my graphics card: nvidia GeForce GTX 465 - and replaced the 8 with a 2
    Last edited by FourDoorsDown; 2011-03-12 at 11:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    "Imba"
    I literally want to Kitten Filled Hugs people in face and smack a Soft Swan-dive Pillow up their little bottoms when they use that word. It sounds just rather weird.

Fixed that for you. Please refrain from going a bit "too far" with your language.
    I love mods

10+ Year Old Account
    helps if you tell us your graphics card and what not...

Ya what are your specs on the system?

10+ Year Old Account
    1980x1080 is a pretty graphic-intensive resolution. You really need a great rig to be able to run game maxed out at that resolution.

I'll add that to the original post, one sec.
    "Imba"
    I literally want to Kitten Filled Hugs people in face and smack a Soft Swan-dive Pillow up their little bottoms when they use that word. It sounds just rather weird.

Fixed that for you. Please refrain from going a bit "too far" with your language.
    I love mods

Deleted
    1680 x 1050 = 1764000 pixels to maintain.
    1920 x 1080 = 2073600 pixels to maintain.
    -------------------------------------------------
    difference = 309600 pixels... that's a pretty big gain right there.

Also I took 1920 x 1080 resolution cause I never heard of 1980 x 1080 before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandurin View Post
    1680 x 1050 = 1764000 pixels to maintain.
    1920 x 1080 = 2073600 pixels to maintain.
    -------------------------------------------------
    difference = 309600 pixels... that's a pretty big gain right there.

Also I took 1920 x 1080 resolution cause I never heard of 1980 x 1080 before.
    +1, I didn't have to.

Also, the game is rather CPU-intensive.
    However, with a GTX465, it SHOULD be better.
    Tell your CPU.

most likely you have an outdated video driver, as you only gain 15% more pixels, and thus, should see around a 20% drop in your frame rate.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ret was broken. If you don’t see eye to eye with us on that, then it’s understandable why the degree of change might be surprising to you
    i7 920@ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, 6GB Ram Triple Channel OCZ @ 1900Mhz, CrossFire HD 5850 1Gb, Vertex 3 240Gb, BenQ M2700HD. G15 Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    +1, I didn't have to.

Also, the game is rather CPU-intensive.
    However, with a GTX465, it SHOULD be better.
    Tell your CPU.
    It's not just WoW, it's other games like TF2 also. And such a drastic shift leads me to believe that it's not my CPU either.
    "Imba"

I love mods

10+ Year Old Account
    it would help if you would not say its not one thing, when you are begging for help. beggars cant be choosers.

also have you cleaned out your computer lately? i used to crash trying to watch 1080P video and once i cleaned everything out, including voiding my PSU's warrenty to open it and clean it, i have had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDoorsDown View Post
    Hiya, I just got a new monitor with a higher resolution than my old one. My new resolution is 1920x1080 and the old one was 1650x1050. Everything look beautiful untill I started playing games.

When playing WoW, I used to get around 60fps with all settings on ultra while questing. Now with the new monitor I get about 3fps with all settings on ultra and 24fps with all settings on low. I can understand a little drop in fps, but this is insane.

Any ideas on what may be going on? Monitor is HP S2331a.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here's my graphics card: nvidia GeForce GTX 465 - and replaced the 8 with a 2
    It would also help to know the CPU if it isn't listed somewhere in here, but if you're running a GTX465 I'll assume it isn't some old 2ghz processor. Have you tried hooking the old monitor back up just to see if something didn't coincidentally happen since the swap? Also do what that noob Sizz-who I assume plays on Gnomeregan-says, and clean everything out. Video card, PSU (with a static-free vac), CPU, etc. Maybe new thermal paste as well for good measure. Not the cheap stuff.

Back again, sorry for the delay, was trying some stuff and I got it working.

Turns out it was something to do with the cable I was using. Swapped it out with my older computer and now it's working, with an oddly higher FPS.

Thanks for all your help, sorry for any trouble.
    "Imba"

I love mods