Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Advice of Pet Attacking other target Omnitron. Vid inside

Hi,

I'm having a slight problem with my pet attacking not what I'm currently attacking at times. I'm not sure whether this is because of a macro I use or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm thinking it could also be bane of havoc. Below is a vid (and aside from messing up on Arcane Genrators) I messed up with my pet attacking shielded targets ;s.

Once again, any help would be appreciated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfoXPD9rQL4

Macro I use for pet:

#showtooltip Immolate
    /cast [@pettarget, exists] Firebolt
    /cast Immolate

Thanks alot , help here has been great.

There was a blue post that stated pet attacks would not damage shields or cause them to gain stacks through pet attacks. It sounds like your pet is on aggressive.

That macro would acctualy target your pets target for your pet to cast Fireball. I think you need to change @pettarget to @target for your pet to cast at your current target that you are casting Immolation on.
    Retired WoW player - Active as a casual in Vanilla, raider in 3.0 and 3.1 and casual from 3.2 and forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    There was a blue post that stated pet attacks would not damage shields or cause them to gain stacks through pet attacks. It sounds like your pet is on aggressive.
    Pets generally don't trigger the Omnotron shields no. The exception being Magmatron: His shield is an absorption effect that will, if it absorbs the maximum amount of damage it can, explode for a large amount of damage.

Also your pet is on defensive, default behavior for defensive mobs is to attack the first mob you attack, and then keep attacking that mob until it does, if you're worried about that I'd recommend using him on passive instead for the Omnotron fight. You'll have to remember to manually tell him to attack each of the 'trons though, but you'll never have to worry about him attacking the wrong target.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyad View Post
    That macro would acctualy target your pets target for your pet to cast Fireball. I think you need to change @pettarget to @target for your pet to cast at your current target that you are casting Immolation on.
    This is correct, @pettarget will just make your pet attack its current target (again).

just change your pets target manually imo. you have plenty of time from 50 to 35 energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Control-1 (default) works wonders.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

all that macro does is tells your pet to cast firebolt on its own target.

for omnitron you'd want something like this.

#showtooltip Immolate
    /cast Firebolt
    /cast Immolate

This will cause your pet to attack whatever you cast Immolate on. Hope this helps ya
    Devils used to be gods, angels that fell from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by M_10
    I once said "brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]." That group was probably confused.

Yes the original macro won't make your pet change targets, it's designed to 1.) make your pet start attacking if you keep it on passive and 2.) maximize the Imp's Firebolt DPS to make it cast more often. You will have to change targets manually. Once you switch though, your Imp will stick to it until you switch him.
    BigCrits.com - real people conquering a virtual world!

Deleted
    #showtooltip immolate
    /petattack
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /cast immolate

this is what i use for my lock, so my pet will alwayst attack the mob im attacking.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    #showtooltip
    /cast Immolate
    /petattack

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damni View Post
    #showtooltip
    /cast Immolate
    /petattack
    Thanks for help guys, the above macro worked the best for me I found

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damni View Post
    #showtooltip
    /cast Immolate
    /petattack
    I was moments from suggesting this. I use this kind of thing for my hunter because I definitely embarrassed myself with an exuberant pet pulling trash one too many times. lol

That's a terrible macro for a Destruction Warlock. Every time you use /petattack it forces the Imp to reset his cast. Go try it. It's a huge loss in DPS when if you just stop being lazy, you can get around by using the macro in the OP and making your imp switch targets manually.
    BigCrits.com - real people conquering a virtual world!

I... I've always just pressed ctrl1 for petattack and let my pet fire away. Press it again when I change target. But seriously, people still raid with their pets on defensive?

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    That's a terrible macro for a Destruction Warlock. Every time you use /petattack it forces the Imp to reset his cast. Go try it. It's a huge loss in DPS when if you just stop being lazy, you can get around by using the macro in the OP and making your imp switch targets manually.
    I've been using that macro for a while now and have never noticed my imp's cast bar resetting, so i just now tried it and it seems that if you hit the macro more then once your imp will start recasting. If you only hit it once even in the middle of his cast bar he will continue casting as usual.
    So the macro isn't bad if you don't spam immolate which i don't really have a problem with considering that i don't have to worry about my pet attacking anything but my current target. I wouldn't put this macro into anything else but CoE or Immolate after finding this out however.
    It's not always about being lazy and not wanting to hit Ctrl+1 but more about forgetting in the middle of a boss fight with lots of other things going on.

Also for those of you who are using or want to use /cast firebolt in any of your macros. It does not make your pet continually attack the target. As soon as you stop hitting the marco key your pet will stop attacking that target if he was not set to attack the target with /petattack or crtl+1 already. I believe the main use for /cast firebolt being marcoed into your abilities is to make up for latency so that you pet does not pause between casts.
    Last edited by Thellamat; 2011-03-13 at 06:52 AM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Thellamat View Post
    . I believe the main use for /cast firebolt being marcoed into your abilities is to make up for latency so that you pet does not pause between casts.
    This isn't needed anymore according to my tests at 60ms latency, the damage on 500 imp attacks with or without macro are residual differences from rng, I believe pets use the casting queue aswell and don't suffer latency now.

Also I had those macros from wotlk macroed to all my destro abilities and after I got rid of spamming them, my game felt much more smooth, I believe those macros were client side lagging me slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    This isn't needed anymore according to my tests at 60ms latency, the damage on 500 imp attacks with or without macro are residual differences from rng, I believe pets use the casting queue aswell and don't suffer latency now.

Also I had those macros from wotlk macroed to all my destro abilities and after I got rid of spamming them, my game felt much more smooth, I believe those macros were client side lagging me slightly.
    I get this feeling also that when using my macros it seems like the response time is a little slower then if i used a regular spell. Maybe because the macro is trying to perform 2 or more actions at the same time?

15+ Year Old Account
    What am I meant to have my pet on; aggressive/passive?

---------- Post added 2011-03-14 at 12:24 AM ----------

Latency sure ain't good. ctrl-1 is a bit of stretch for my fingers and I don't really want to dedicate or have to press another keybinding when I'm trying to cast other spells. Unless it's a dps loss I'd be hesitant to change it to default Blizzard UI commands. Cheers

Deleted
    I play a hunter, and have had one or two pet....erm....issues!! The safest method I've come across is to keep your pet on Passive and macro your spells with the following line:
    /petattack
    That way your pet, demon etc etc will always be attacking whatever it is you're attacking. I've not come across too many situations where I want my pet to be on something that I'm not attacking (in a PVE context).
    Last edited by mmocfe4ad8b417; 2011-03-14 at 12:39 AM. Reason: caught a typo