Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Starting on 10 man Nef, any tips?

My guild is 10/12 normal right now, going to start working on 10 man nefarian. So far we are 2 tanking, 3 healing, with 2 melee and 3 ranged dps (2 pally tanks, pally/priest/druid heals, 2 hunters/mage, rogue/enchane shammy) and they want me (hunter) and the other hunter to kite the adds in the first phase. Usually I wouldn't have a problem with this, but most video's I've seen they have had a tank just hold the adds and kite them, and I feel that would be easier than them sticking their 2 highest dps on the adds (I'm 1st by several thousand dps over the next highest in the group). What is your opinion on this and do you guys have any other opinions on the matter?

Phase 1:
    Kite the adds. Keep em out of the breath's of both dragons. The less you get hit the better and the more stacked the pile when they deactivate, the better.

The adds cannot be "Killed" and any DPS on them is effectively wasted. Hunters have alot of kiting ability with your slow traps and snares.

If theres a class that can "getto" off tank then they could kite the adds with your assistance VIA misdirect and traps. My group does this and it works well.

Phase 2:
    Kill 2 of the pillar adds while leaving 1 just about dead. Interupts are absolutely essential to this phase. At least 2 crackles are IDEAL for the next phase to progress. As a hunter you can either hit nef or kill your pillar add.

Phase 3:
    Not a DPS race. All about control over the adds. Keeping them out of fire so they deactivate is more important than killing nef faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Blada View Post
    My guild is 10/12 normal right now, going to start working on 10 man nefarian. So far we are 2 tanking, 3 healing, with 2 melee and 3 ranged dps (2 pally tanks, pally/priest/druid heals, 2 hunters/mage, rogue/enchane shammy) and they want me (hunter) and the other hunter to kite the adds in the first phase. Usually I wouldn't have a problem with this, but most video's I've seen they have had a tank just hold the adds and kite them, and I feel that would be easier than them sticking their 2 highest dps on the adds (I'm 1st by several thousand dps over the next highest in the group). What is your opinion on this and do you guys have any other opinions on the matter?
    At a guess I'd say most of those videos are of the 25 man version where you can afford a 3rd tank without gimping your setup too much, in 10 man it's pretty common practice to have a DPS kite. Hunters probably do this with the lowest overall DPS penalty at least compared to say our mage who has to spec frost for the sake of 50 seconds worth of kiting.

We are just starting on Nef as well, and I can tell you right now that you can't have too many dps focus on the adds in p1, you have to defeat Onyxia in a resonable amount of time and you want to push at least two crackles before p2.

I honestly think it would be more efficicient to have a plate dps tank Onyxia and have your OT tank the adds instead of her until they die, and then he can taunt off. This way all your dps is on one of the two dragons, and if your OT is kiting the adds. Nefarian hits like a beast but Onyxia, not so much by our logs, and again, the actual OT can tank her for the second half of her uptime anyways.

Very good advice: you need to lay adds on 1st phase in 1 spot. It`s make your p3 kiting MUCH easier. Best way - pala healer with rightneous fury agroing adds and anyone who can control them as they can.
    P2 just learn to swim, p3 is all about use of saves and good kiting. If you can kite adds and they day once - you are on right way. If you do it twice - nef is yours. But mostly 1 kill of adds is enought

Oh, and the best way to end p1 is to burn nef below 70% and kill ony same time. So 3 explosions on p1, 0 on p2 and rest on p3

---------- Post added 2011-03-13 at 11:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    I honestly think it would be more efficicient to have a plate dps tank Onyxia
    Absolutely impossible.

We're slowly making progress at this point, made it into phase 2, without explaining it, got raped due to lack of interrupts. What we are doing for adds is just cc'ing them all (freezing traps/roots/etc) so then I only have to kite 1-2 of them

P1 is pretty straight forward, Kite the adds till they die and push Nef twice before killing ony. In p2 you want to divide your raid up in groups like the following, 3 3 4, have a healer on each platform and make sure each platform has a interupter. Now most people here will tell you to just kill all 3 adds and push in p3 with no crackles durring p2 which is a terrible idea and strat. Durring p2 have the 2 platforms of 3 kill their add then in staggered formation have both swim to the main platform that has 4 people on it. Place dks and hunters on the platforms that have to swim due to them being able to cross half or all of the lava with no damage. Make sure everyone is topped before swimming and have the healer on the main platform help as they get into range. with this everyone will make it to the main platform and be able to use aoe heals to better keep the raid up. This allows for 2 or 3 crackles durring the air phase making p3 last just that much shorter. For p3 you can tank nef in the middle or north position and kit the adds around the entire area if in middle or in a half circle arrangement if at the north point, have your add tank keep moving and not run through fire and dps just burn nef and game over.

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post

I honestly think it would be more efficicient to have a plate dps tank Onyxia and have your OT tank the adds instead of her until they die
    No, just no. Even if your dps survives somehow, it will severely cripple your healers' mana, which is really not recommended as the healing intensive part doesn't start until phase 2.

Use 3 tanks and 3 healers when we do this in the alt run, dps isn't an issue .

You should be able to pet tank it as a hunter with a turtle.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Use 3 tanks and 3 healers when we do this in the alt run, dps isn't an issue .
    Why? My retarded ass can kite the adds in p1 and youv killed heroic nef and your telling me no one in your raid can kite the adds?

A tactic that worked for us was to have our resto druid go bear and just pick up all the adds and drag them to one spot. Pushing two crackles before killing Ony is a good idea. In phase two for the love of god make sure you have the interrupts sorted, make sure that everyone (including tanks if needed) have the required 5% hit to never miss an interrupt. On pushing crackles in phase 2 my guild never really bothered, if your healers can handle it go for it but it's not the end of the world if you dont. If you push the crackles phase 3 is faster nothing more, just make sure your add tank knows how to kite them and nuke him down, if you pushed crackles it should only take ~3-4 mins to nuke him down, otherwise ~6 mins.

prepare to wipe a lot the first couple of nights trying to get the hang of the fight. our best try so far is 8%, first night, 11th try. planning on bringing him down by progression night #3

Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    Why? My retarded ass can kite the adds in p1 and youv killed heroic nef and your telling me no one in your raid can kite the adds?
    No need to, it's an alt run and the 3rd tank helps picking any loose adds in p3. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's actually really nice to have hunters kite it with a tank pet and glyph of MD. When the hunter(s) fail, I have to do it as the holy paladin, and that makes me sad.

Mages are great for it too. A skilled mage can solo kite them. And really, DPS isn't much of an issue, this fight is all about survival. His enrage timer is fairly lenient, but hoo boy those adds start to hit hard after a bit if you let them sneak up on you.

As others have pointed out, there are multiple ways to handle adds.

My guild used to have a hunter + moonkin kite the adds with mushrooms and traps, with help from a beetle pet, but recently we've switched to having our fury warrior just put a shield on and tank them. I understand this isnt really viable for your group, so I'll try to help with some input.

I myself kite the adds for our alt runs, and I know it can be a bitch. We wiped 3 times initially because the kiting really has to be controlled and done spot on. It doesn't help that im not the best hunter, but thats besides the point.

Since you have 2 hunters AND a mage AND a priest, this should be easier for your group. When the first adds start spawning, have your pet sit on one of your traps and spam misdirect to it(use the glyph). Have the other hunter do the same with adds on the other side of the room. Once the adds are clumped up have your pet tank them with your healers throwing some HoTs on them, and using mend pet yourself. If your pets are REALLY in danger, you can have your mage use ring of frost, which helps IMMENSELY.

Another mention - for your pets I recommend taking thunderclap and last stand. Put Last Stand, Cower, and Shield wall on your pet bar. Once the adds are alive for 25 seconds or so they start to hit very hard and you'll need to use your pets cooldowns or they may be gibbed. Ive had my pet die a few times from bad RNG once the adds get really big, but it isnt an issue after most of them are down.

Yeah, its a lot of work, yes, it can get frustrating, but hopefully it'll pay off in the end. I personally hate the fight on my hunter, but your group shouldn't have much trouble. Its harder on the healers than anything else.

Deleted
    Kite with the frostmage, so facerolling, he can also get alot of lances off to hit the boss.

Deleted
    We just downed Nef 10man today and did like this:

Setup:
    2 tanks (warriors)
    3 healers (pally, druid, priest)
    5 dps(2 rogues, hunter, DK, warlock).

Phase1:
    DK kites the adds with me healing him as disc, no troubles at all keeping him up without CDs even though he is dps. He uses icebound after his freeze drops to mitigate the dmg from 6 adds pounding him in the face. Then I just make sure to barrier/shield the people that cant mitigate dmg and p1 goes smoothly.

Phase2:
    Take one crackle to make p3 easier, uses PI/barrier to make sure we survive the crackle and constant nuking.

Phase3:
    One warrior kites the adds with the druid healing him, the rest burn the boss. MT making sure to turn the boss so that nefs face or tail never fucks up the add tank.

Overall not a hard fight, p2 is crazy mana intensive until you learn how to heal it, barrier makes crackles in p2 a joke while shield makes the squishies not die horribly from crackle.

Right now adds are a little bit retarded and stop running each 1sec for 1sec so anybody can kite them without any slowing effect.
    The best would be to make the mage on them. He'll can keep DPS'ing the boss while the 5 adds runs after him. With blink + frostnova he,ll never have trouble.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ_NawUD6j8&hd=1

This is a video from a "rival" guild on my server and their strategy. It absolutely CLICKED for us and after a week of early p3 wipes, 2 attempts later Nefarian was dead. We one shot him again this week using the same strategy.

I advise a look at it, it depends on your group comp, but it helped us out A LOT.