Should I buy this laptop

I have the option of buying this PC for 600€, on the forum people say it's really a good buy since you can't build similar for less than 1500€ I think it's a bit exagerated and since I can't find the individual prices of the components there's no way to evaluate the laptop in the right way.

QX9100 @ 3.066 Ghz 12MB Cache, 1066 bus.
    2x2GB DDR3
    320GB 7200 RPM Sata
    Dual lamp screen 1680x1050.
    4.1 sound + subwoofer
    2x 9800M GTS, 256 bits each, (60GB/s bandwith x2)- what is this?

sm2.0 score 5455
    hdr/sm3.0 6414´
    CPU score 4313

Is it a good buy for me afterall?
    Last edited by revodka; 2011-03-13 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    Its not bad, but nowhere near 1500. If its not new, I wouldnt even spend 600 on it.

That's a killer deal in my opinion. Even though that laptop is fairly old tech, the graphics cards on it are still very high end for a laptop. Only thing that sucks about it is the lack of DX11 support but it shouldn't really matter that much since you are getting it for so cheap.

Pros:
    -3GHz quad core extreme... you won't find this on many laptops, especially not in that price range
    -2x9800m GTS SLI... will give you kick ass performance, especially in games that support/utilize SLI which most (new games) do nowadays
    -4.1 sound + sub on a laptop?
    -7.2k rpm HDD

Cons:
    -320GB is low for today's standards, but that's nothing that an external USB drive can't fix
    -Outdated graphics card(s), lack of DX11 support
    -Old generation quad core, would probably get outperformed by a 2GHz sandy bridge i7, but a setup with that sandy bridge CPU alone would cost you at least double in Europe
    -Zero mobility due to high power consumption and low battery life

Overall I think that laptop is a steal for 600 euro. Make sure it is in good shape, doesn't have a dead battery (not that it matters since you're probably not going to get more than an hour of battery life) and that both graphics cards are working without artifacts.

Edit: If you're looking for a rough price of individual parts (which is hard to determine on a laptop), those two graphics cards and CPU alone would equal out to 600 euro.
    Last edited by nwo; 2011-03-13 at 12:21 PM.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

THanks for your oppinion NWO really apreciate it

To the above poster the PC is like 2 years old, but totally moding, on top of that it has 3M Di-Noc Carbon "covering the pc" - vendor says it costs around 75€

On his screens he shows this pc "beating" a i7-740QM and the grapphic ati hd 5870.

---------- Post added 2011-03-13 at 01:05 PM ----------

vendor say since it should last 40 min at full performance.

but you can turn on economic mode which engage onboard graphic Nvidia 9300m, and with programThrottleStop turn the processor into a 1.6ghz to last longer. Not really looking into save energy with this PC I think, but I understand your "concern"..
    It's a cosmio btw, never heard of it is it any good in general compared with other more popular like asus,toshiba and so on ?

here is a photos:

---------- Post added 2011-03-13 at 01:19 PM ----------

this system of merging posts is bad, cant bump

Mod Edit: That's because bumping is not allowed
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-03-13 at 02:52 PM.

Overall = terrible.
    You cant build similar for 1500? Yes, ofc you can't, it will be roughly 20 times better.
    Outdated cpu/gpu. 2 years old laptop = needs new battery in 99%.

Random laptop for 600 euros from HP
    Microprocessor 2.26 GHz Intel Core i3-350M Processor
    Microprocessor Cache Level 3 cache 3 MB
    Memory 4 GB DDR3 (1 x 4096 MB)
    Memory Max Supports up to 4 GB DDR3 memory
    Video Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 Graphics
    Video Memory up to 2234 MB total graphics memory with 512 MB DDR3 dedicated
    Display 39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display (1366 x 768)
    Hard Drive 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 5400 rpm
    Multimedia Drive SATA optical drive: LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
    Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN
    Wireless Connectivity Bluetooth wireless networking

802.11 b/g/n
    Sound Altec Lansing speakers
    Keyboard Full size keyboard with One touch launch keys and Action keys
    Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and 2-way Scroll pad support
    PC Card Slots 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro or xD Picture cards
    External Ports
    1 VGA port
    1 stereo headphone-out
    1 microphone-in
    3 USB 2.0 ports
    1 RJ45 ethernet port
    Dimensions 24.6 cm (L) x 37.4 cm (W) x 3.18 cm (min H) / 3.68 cm (max H)
    Weight Starting at 2.50 kg
    Power 90 W AC Power Adapter

6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery

DiNet, please do not post random crap setups that don't even possess 1/100th of the gaming power that the OP's laptop in question has.

Back at you rev, Qosmio is Toshiba, it's just one of their laptop lines, like Dell XPS or Lenovo Thinkpad/Ideapad. It's a relief to hear that you can switch to the onboard graphics and downclock the CPU to conserve power. And yes, that CPU will outperform an i7 740QM and the 5870 graphics card. But, it wouldn't outperform a sandy bridge i7 2630QM with a GTX 460m. A setup like that costs around $1,200 in the US, so probably at least 1,200 euro.

Bottom line is that yes, that laptop is 2 years old and uses old generation CPU & graphics but the fact is that it has more gaming power than any new laptop under $1,200 or 1,200 euro.
    Last edited by nwo; 2011-03-13 at 05:59 PM. Reason: doh, it's a Toshiba!
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Ok, lolwut, must be inserted here as a response to your very useful and right post.

I could only recommend to post at least on overclock net before you make this deal. Unless you're gaming in 2009.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiNet View Post
    Ok, lolwut, must be inserted here as a response to your very useful and right post.
    You suggested a build with a 6370 - which is a low end non-discrete card. This is also known as an integrated GPU. Its very likely it lacks its own graphics memory and instead uses the RAM for that. OPs machine uses a proper, and as far as I recall, pretty good graphics solution; it very much has its own dedicated video memory.

Likewise, while it doesn't have an as modern CPU - it still outperforms just about all Arrandale processors, though even the most basic Clarksdale will beat it - especially in low-threaded uses due to their Turbo boost (which the Core2 series lack). Upper range 35W Arrandales (generally the i5s rebranded as i7s) should beat it on low threaded programs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Upper range 35W Arrandales (generally the i5s rebranded as i7s) may have a chance against it in low threaded apps though.
    You mean i3? Or otherwise, I don't see why :x i5s are 2c with HT, i7 are 4c with HT, no?

Deleted
    You suggested a build with a 6370 - which is a low end non-discrete card. This is also known as an integrated GPU. Its very likely it lacks its own graphics memory and instead uses the RAM for that. OPs machine uses a proper, and as far as I recall, pretty good graphics solution; it very much has its own dedicated video memory.

Likewise, while it doesn't have an as modern CPU - it still outperforms just about all Arrandale processors, though even the most basic Clarksdale will beat it - especially in low-threaded uses due to their Turbo boost (which the Core2 series lack). Upper range 35W Arrandales (generally the i5s rebranded as i7s) should beat it on low threaded programs as well.
    Integrated Graph Card = NO NO NO NO!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    You mean i3? Or otherwise, I don't see why :x i5s are 2c with HT, i7 are 4c with HT, no?
    No, there are two i7 branded processesors that are dual-core part of the Arrandale architecture.

However, Apple is almost the only OEM that uses them. They were the most expensive choice for the 17inch (and 15) Macbook Pro.

Yes, that meant the last gen macbooks did not actually have a proper i7. They were all i5s.

No, there are two i7 branded processesors that are dual-core part of the Arrandale architecture.

However, Apple is almost the only OEM that uses them. They were the most expensive choice for the 17inch (and 15) Macbook Pro.

Yes, that meant the last gen macbooks did not actually have a proper i7. They were all i5s.
    Ah, I see. You are always a resource of quaint knowledge *tips hat*