10+ Year Old Account

LotR War in the North

How do you think you guys will like this game? Here are a few videos:

I am pretty excited. I am a HUGE fan of LotR. I have high hopes for this game.

Judging from the art, this game is done under movie license, which pretty much means it's doomed. I'm also sick and tired of LOTR action games. I think it's basically the worst possible genre to set in Middle Earth setting.

Middle Earth is crying for a well-written CRPG. Someone should be daring enough to stop abusing that poor movie license and actually make something fresh. Kinda like BioWare did with Knights of the Old Republic - a Star Wars game with zero tie-ins to the movies, yet one of the best CRPGs out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is what I am worried about. 99% of games from movies are terrible.

However, there have been a few excellent LotR games (BFME and BFME 2 are considered amazing RTS's, possibly even the best...). But, that goes with your theory of not incorporating the movie (at least in BFME 2 when none of the characters were from the movie).

Never played KotOR, was it any good?

KoTOR was one of the best games of the last decade, imho.

War in the North looks really good, and being so long after the movies, it shouldn't have the same kind of "Movie game" stigma that most of the other games have had.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeash.... another crappy LoTR tie in seriously when are they going to just stop it?

there has only been two decent LoTR tie ins BFME2 which was insanely good, and LoTR: The Third Age (also known as Final Fantasy: LoTR)

PLEASE if you're going to make another LoTR game, make it in the style of Third Age, it was an amazing game that had real potential, I'd LOVE to see what you could do with that system, but for 360/PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    Never played KotOR, was it any good?
    it was frakkin AMAZING dude :P probably one of the best WRPG's of all time, if you like things like Dragon Age you will LOVE Kotor.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Meh, the trailer didn't impress me in the slightest. Especially because there was a mage. People are trying to fit that kind of crap in the million LOTR games that are out. It really doesn't work, as it is specifically stated in the books that the only wizards are a small council.

This is easily the most laughably stupid marketing decision since Dante's Inferno sex strategy, which unfortunately was not long ago.
    Seriously. How far do they need to push the idiot-envelope before they figure out these approaches won't work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorllin View Post
    Meh, the trailer didn't impress me in the slightest. Especially because there was a mage. People are trying to fit that kind of crap in the million LOTR games that are out. It really doesn't work, as it is specifically stated in the books that the only wizards are a small council.
    The Wizard thing bothers me as well, and was one of the reasons I disliked Conquest. BFME 2 stayed true to it and did not allow you to make wizards (only Gandalf) which is why it still is one of the best LOTR games.

Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    The Wizard thing bothers me as well, and was one of the reasons I disliked Conquest. BFME 2 stayed true to it and did not allow you to make wizards (only Gandalf) which is why it still is one of the best LOTR games.
    That really shouldn't be a reason for a game to be fun. IT could have Dark Lord as a class and I wouldn't care as long as the game was fun, and emanates the essence and adventure of LOTR.
    The game will mot likely suck, and so far it's given absolutely no reason for anybody to think otherwise.

I used to be the biggest BFME fan in the world six years ago, but looking back it seems pretty bad. Fun for single player I guess, but not many real strategy elements imo. Anyway, I'm surprised they're still making movie-based LotR games (same music and design, even if the characters are new).
    I won't be getting it but the co op elements look cool.