Thread: Titan

Titan

Finding (or developing) the first real World of Warcraft-killer is something of a holy grail for MMO fans and developers alike. The extraordinary success of Blizzard's fantasy title has set the company and its flagship product on a seemingly unreachable pedestal in terms of financial success and subscriber numbers.

Conventional wisdom says that's unlikely to be duplicated any time soon, if ever, but Blizzard COO Paul Sams isn't so sure. In a new interview with Gamasutra, he talks a bit about Titan, the code name for the as-yet-unannounced followup to World of Warcraft. "I believe [it's] the most ambitious thing we've ever attempted," Sams told Gamasutra. "And I feel like we have set our company up to succeed on that. We have some of our most talented and most experienced developers on that team. Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team."

Will WoW's 12 million subscribers jump ship and make Titan the raging success that its predecessor was? "The thing that we hope will happen is that it will not stop World of Warcraft but we believe it will eclipse it," Sams said, before adding that he expects Titan to be an industry force over the next two decades.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03...ng-in-20-years

This thread is made to discuss, what would happen to Warcraft let's say if Titan did eclipse it? wouldn't that mean generally that Titan would have to have more of wow's fan base. As I am reading I see no mention of warcraft in the article, also I have not heard of any expansions. Do you believe that the Blizzard devs will stop with the expansions of Warcraft?

It only shows that the main team that built warcraft are working on titan while still working full time at warcraft. So in closing, could titan mmo and warcraft mmo co exist? clearly they stated titan is meant to be in it for the long run. However they made no mention of how long they expected warcraft to play out. I assume it will still be out there as long as fans support it like EQ1, but they may not provide any addtional content/expansions

Thoughts, concerns, comments?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Finding (or developing) the first real World of Warcraft-killer is something of a holy grail for MMO fans and developers alike. The extraordinary success of Blizzard's fantasy title has set the company and its flagship product on a seemingly unreachable pedestal in terms of financial success and subscriber numbers.

Conventional wisdom says that's unlikely to be duplicated any time soon, if ever, but Blizzard COO Paul Sams isn't so sure. In a new interview with Gamasutra, he talks a bit about Titan, the code name for the as-yet-unannounced followup to World of Warcraft. "I believe [it's] the most ambitious thing we've ever attempted," Sams told Gamasutra. "And I feel like we have set our company up to succeed on that. We have some of our most talented and most experienced developers on that team. Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team."

Will WoW's 12 million subscribers jump ship and make Titan the raging success that its predecessor was? "The thing that we hope will happen is that it will not stop World of Warcraft but we believe it will eclipse it," Sams said, before adding that he expects Titan to be an industry force over the next two decades.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03...ng-in-20-years

This thread is made to discuss, what would happen to Warcraft let's say if Titan did eclipse it? wouldn't that mean generally that Titan would have to have more of wow's fan base. As I am reading I see no mention of warcraft in the article, also I have not heard of any expansions. Do you believe that the Blizzard devs will stop with the expansions of Warcraft?

It only shows that the main team that built warcraft are working on titan while still working full time at warcraft. So in closing, could titan mmo and warcraft mmo co exist? clearly they stated titan is meant to be in it for the long run. However they made no mention of how long they expected warcraft to play out. I assume it will still be out there as long as fans support it like EQ1, but they may not provide any addtional content/expansions

Thoughts, concerns, comments?
    Titan is just going to be another Blizzard game, top of the line, people flock to blizzards game so since blizzard will only be releasing 1 more expansion for wow (after titans release) it will utterly eclipse WoW, people will be dieing for something new, and since its Blizzard new, people are going to go ape wild over it.

The game is over 3 years and we know nothing about it. It could be a farmville MMO for all we know.

time will tell. and Aerisot, 1 more expansion? they stated they got ideas for 3-4 more. i doubt Blizzard will ever fully drop WoW, with all that lore.

Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team.
    I was deeply saddened when I read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    time will tell. and Aerisot, 1 more expansion? they stated they got ideas for 3-4 more. i doubt Blizzard will ever fully drop WoW, with all that lore.
    We don't know if it will be last expansion but it seems that to the end of year 2015..there will be only 2 additional expansion for WoW.. first in the middle of next year..and second in th end of year 2014..(at the same time Titan will be released).. for the year 2015 there is planned only game..and it's 2nd expansion for Diablo 3...we have no idea what Blizzard will do after that point.