Thread: Hacked.. again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz0r View Post
    True its really good but you need a legit copy of windows that some ppls dont have for some strange reason
    these days you dont need a legit copy to get it working, just need a good "cracked" w7..

Deleted
    there are virus's that hide n the boot sector of your hard drive and can manipulate your system to avoid detection from most antivirus software, so they wouldn't show up on a scan. Avast can detect them but can not destroy all of them. The only thing I've found to be effect against rootkit virus's is TDSS killer from Kaspersky, you can download it seperately to the actual full antivirus program and I think its free.

Quote Originally Posted by Heket View Post
    a-u-t-h-e-n-t-i-c-a-t-o-r
    ^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    You'd make a horrible computer repair person. =\ Reformatting should be the last thing he does, especially since it's most likely a simple keylogger.
    Disagree, some times when it's been years on the same OS it's trashed pretty much. Or it takes less time to rebuild the OS then it does to clean it. Malewarebytes wasn't mentioned and is pretty good about finding those keyloggers. Changing the password on your accounts using the same computer that is comprimised is dumb.
    A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
    is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Should've gotten an authenticator earlier mate.
    You can never be sure what gives you keyloggers (except the obvious ones) so better safe than sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochglen View Post
    I am wondering if Blizzard are going to give the Alliance the 5 mounts because the worgen have running wild, the horde have 5 new mounts , i just think they should balance it out, how say you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    hows about you give half your money to africa because you have more than them, and it's not balanced
    no? didn't think so

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonystark View Post
    Disagree, some times when it's been years on the same OS it's trashed pretty much. Or it takes less time to rebuild the OS then it does to clean it. Malewarebytes wasn't mentioned and is pretty good about finding those keyloggers. Changing the password on your accounts using the same computer that is comprimised is dumb.
    Sure a reformat is fast - I can completely wipe this system and get Windows up and running again (start IE) in less than 10 minutes on this machine - but thats not the point.

As a repairman, people expect all their personal files and data to be intact. Now one thing I'm in the habit of doing is making a complete drive backup when dealing with more serious problems. This gives me the safety of being able to be a lot more aggressive with my work since if something does end up backfiring, I can always either restore the backup, or at the least still have access to those files in the event that the workload is unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    Depends how you define "easy". The attacker still needs to observe you typing in the code, stop your client from sending the code to the server, and use that code himself. All within the 30-60 second window that the token is valid.
    No, not really. The only thing the attacker needs to do is to change the game's config files, so the user information is sent to a fake server who only collects information.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-03-20 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    No, not really. The only thing the attacker needs to do is to change the game's config files, so the user information is sent to a fake server who only collects information.
    No. Authenticator code is never sent on the wire. You would have to modify the executable to achieve that (which was how the one known authenticator attack did it).

No. Authenticator code is never sent on the wire. You would have to modify the executable to achieve that (which was how the one known authenticator attack did it).
    And a virus can do that without a problem (replace the executable with a hacked one).

10+ Year Old Account
    To be completely honest, you've got no room to ask for constructive criticism in any sort when you're getting hacked without an Authenticator. Blizzard pushed the Authenticator out so that people would stop getting hacked. If you get hacked and you're without an authenticator, you deserve to be hacked. I see that you had one on the way, and that's good, but that should have been taken care of a long time ago.

And a virus can do that without a problem (replace the executable with a hacked one).
    Yes of course, if you get rooted there's nothing you can do. However, I still wouldn't call it "easy" considering all the effort that would go into executing such attack, as evidenced by the fact that there has been one such attack in the past while countless WoW accounts are compromised through other means daily. So even if you get yourself rooted it doesn't mean authenticator is useless.

Yes of course, if you get rooted there's nothing you can do. However, I still wouldn't call it "easy" considering all the effort that would go into executing such attack, as evidenced by the fact that there has been one such attack in the past while countless WoW accounts are compromised through other means daily. So even if you get yourself rooted it doesn't mean authenticator is useless.
    The only reason this isn't happening is because the majority of players don't have authenticators and because the people who "hack" WoW accounts are more like script kiddies and not real hackers.
    The authenticator will increase security, but it's not 100% secure as some people think. And that applies only to the WoW accounts. An infected computer can be used for a lot of other bad things like a botnet.

The only reason this isn't happening is because the majority of players don't have authenticators and because the people who "hack" WoW accounts are more like script kiddies and not real hackers.
    The authenticator will increase security, but it's not 100% secure as some people think. And that applies only to the WoW accounts. An infected computer can be used for a lot of other bad things like a botnet.
    To add to this: If you get hacked, your wow account is the least of your worries. Chances are you have a keylogger.

If this is the case, that also means anything you've typed could've been logged. Done any online shopping / job applications / online banking / etc... lately?

If so, I would be more worried about my personal info / bank accounts / credit cards than I would my wow account.

Deleted
    Change Email/password + Get a authenticator = win

Only retards get hacked! Some of these who click links in these "pls send us your login and password"-mails. Get a brain and start over again!

Deleted
    You might want to consider getting an Authenticator. It's a great thing, I must say ;D

Almost everyone that gets hacked knows exactly why they got hacked and where they picked up the keylogger/virus. And despite running anti-virus and firewalls, they still get through. Everyone should either invest in an authenticator or use the free mobile authenticator that will block anyone trying to connect to your account from a different IP address. Blizzard has gone to great lengths to help players protect their accounts. At this point in time it's unacceptable if you get hacked.