I was always under the impression that Ned was more of a battlefield brawler (though not literally) who thrived more in the chaos of battle, whereas Jaime was more of a one-on-one, precision+power+finesse type fighter. I mean, what battles did he fight in? The Whispering Wood, Robb and his men capture him, essentially. Didn't he also lose some fights back in the day of Arthur Dayne as well?

Oberyn Martell, I say no more. Have not read any chapters of him in the books, only read the first two, but gods I hope he have alot of them. That whorehouse scene with the Lannister boys and the talk with Tyrion after, damnnnn this is going to get interesting. And the last scene with Arya, she's just getting better and better, and she started out good, and combined with The Hounds awsome quotes, its just golden.

Its a no spoilers thread, but Im guessing discussing aired episodes is a-okey? But spoiler marking it just in case.

Seeing Ice getting melted and made into new swords, was really fucking sad...

Oberyn is in ASOS, which is the third book so that's why you haven't read anything with him. But he isn't a POV character either.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Oberyn is in ASOS, which is the third book so that's why you haven't read anything with him. But he isn't a POV character either.
    Aye I knew that, did think he was a PoW characther tho, since I got the other 3 aswell, and have like scrolled through them some time ago(just to mini spoil myself on PoW chars, could not help it), and thought I remember reading "The Red Viper" or "Viper" or something in one of them as a PoW, could have been someone or something else, as the title of some of the chapters was the only thing I read. But I may be completely wrong on both parts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunken View Post
    This was something the show took liberties with. In the book Jaime simply commands them to kill everyone but Ned and leaves. Ned's an above average fighter but nothing close to Jaime.
    Didn't Ned Stark take out Arthur Dayne? I mean they never flat out SAY it. But the build up is Ned Stark and Howland Reed and a few others go against three of the Kingsguard and it's heavily implied (at least it was in my mind) that Ned took out Arthur Dayne.

Also Doesn't Jaime REALLY want a duel with Ned, specifically to see who is the better of the two of them?

On the subject of the three people Jaime thinks would have a chance, I always figured it was The Hound (he says in DWD, that when he had two hands he would have considered the hound an even fight), Barristan Selmy and a third unknown.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Didn't Ned Stark take out Arthur Dayne? I mean they never flat out SAY it. But the build up is Ned Stark and Howland Reed and a few others go against three of the Kingsguard and it's heavily implied (at least it was in my mind) that Ned took out Arthur Dayne.

Also Doesn't Jaime REALLY want a duel with Ned, specifically to see who is the better of the two of them?

On the subject of the three people Jaime thinks would have a chance, I always figured it was The Hound (he says in DWD, that when he had two hands he would have considered the hound an even fight), Barristan Selmy and a third unknown.
    Ned remembers that fight (it was something like 7 of Ned's guys against 3 Kingsguard, and only 2 walked away) and thinks that Arthur Dayne would surely have killed him if not for Howland Reed. Makes me think Reed intervened before Dayne could administer the killing blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    The quote is more along the lines of "he [Dayne] would have killed me [Ned] if not for Howland Reed." More likely Reed killed Dayne while he was fighting Ned, or at least gave Ned the opportunity to take the final blow.

- - - Updated - - -

Even people that are up to date on the books want Howland to make his appearance. He's the key to several mysteries.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for who is better or at least equal to (a whole) Jaime, I do remember him specifically thinking he wouldn't want to tangle with the Hound. He didn't seem too worried about the Mountain despite his enormous strength. But the Hound? Great strength AND speed... and a relentless fierce fighter with no fear. He considers Barristan Selmy one of the finest swordsmen he ever saw. And Dayne was considered better than Selmy.

But for living swordsmen, the Hound. The Mountain maybe (mostly due to sheer size and strength and the fact that he can wield a broadsword like most men wield longswords).

More telling is that most of the realm considers Jaime to be among the best. So he's not just stroking his own ego.

But I'm not sure a sword was ever Oberyn's primary weapon. Oberyn is deadly... to anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I was always under the impression that Ned was more of a battlefield brawler (though not literally) who thrived more in the chaos of battle, whereas Jaime was more of a one-on-one, precision+power+finesse type fighter. I mean, what battles did he fight in? The Whispering Wood, Robb and his men capture him, essentially. Didn't he also lose some fights back in the day of Arthur Dayne as well?
    Well, if you're unhorsed and surrounded by 20+ men, you either surrender (be captured) or die. I don't care how good you are.

Jaime had a good showing as a young teen fighting against the Brotherhood in the Kingswood (it got him knighted after all). Dayne surely would have bested him back then. But Dayne also had 15-20 years experience on him. Otherwise, I agree with your overall assessment.

Ned was no slouch by any means, even if he was humble about it.

Renewed for two more seasons.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    This might be the best commercial ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    I feel bad the Joffrey kid is saying hes gonna stop acting after the show, I imagine cause of how much he gets harassed in real life
    That's too bad, he really acts the part well. I was hoping to see him in some more roles, at least it would shut the "hard to play a spoiled brat" crowd up.

I know 9gag is not usually accepted on here, but...

Does anyone have some theories on whats the deal with Brann and his crew. I still have no idea wtf theyre trying to do exactly. Theyre going to the wall to see Jon (I think?) to stop the white walkers... how? Brann can access peoples brains which is neat but whats that gonna do. Go into every white walker til he forces them to all kill each other? I dont get what their plan is, maybe im missing something. It makes it harder for me to really get behind their story arch when compared to people like Arya, Tyrion, Jon, Daenerys etc

Does anyone have some theories on whats the deal with Brann and his crew. I still have no idea wtf theyre trying to do exactly. Theyre going to the wall to see Jon (I think?) to stop the white walkers... how? Brann can access peoples brains which is neat but whats that gonna do. Go into every white walker til he forces them to all kill each other? I dont get what their plan is, maybe im missing something. It makes it harder for me to really get behind their story arch when compared to people like Arya, Tyrion, Jon, Daenerys etc
    This is the no spoiler thread. That question is explained in the books. If you really want to know, then ask in the spoilers thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunken View Post
    This was something the show took liberties with. In the book Jaime simply commands them to kill everyone but Ned and leaves. Ned's an above average fighter but nothing close to Jaime.
    The scene in the show is significantly different from the book but 10x better in my opinion.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    The scene in the show is significantly different from the book but 10x better in my opinion.
    Pretty sure it was raining (with lightning/thunder?) in the book's version. I like that atmosphere more for a gritty brawl.

But yeah, I preferred the show's Jaime vs Ned/Jory fight too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so excited for next episode.

I can't wait to see the reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post

Probably: "AWWW FYEAH!!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post

I can't wait for the reaction videos.

If you really want to know, go to the spoiler thread. From what I know, just watching, they are not on the way to the wall, last season they went north off the wall. So they are not going to Caste Black to see Jon, atleast not yet. But a good explanation of why they had to go north of the wall I did not catch. My guess is it has something to do with ehh.. his "powers" beeing stronger, or more frequent north of the wall, and thus he can learn how to use it more properly if he goes there or some shit, atleast thats my guess.

Guess the story of why he have to go there is beeing told kinda like Ramsay Snow's story in last season, we did not get his name until the 10th episode, and my brain was too fucking slow to catch it before that.