Page 7 of 266 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I wish HBO would pick a different subject from a fantasy genre, but I must admit, it pinned me for the whole hour, and I'm eagerly waiting for the next episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowee View Post
    I wish HBO would pick a different subject from a fantasy genre, but I must admit, it pinned me for the whole hour, and I'm eagerly waiting for the next episode.
    It's not the fantasy genre that they really picked though, it was the incredibly broad large scale source material.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

The fantasy in this series is rare, so even people who don't like fantasy should appreciate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    am I the only one hoping that between this and the upcoming Dark Tower Movie/TV series combo, there will be a wave of Fantasy book based TV shows? (I'm pointedly ignoring Legend of the Seeker, because it was a fucking abomination, and everyone who worked on it, up to and including Terry Goodkind needs a serious kicking)

so place your bets, what will be next!

dunno about Y'all, but I'm kinda hoping for a series based off of the Belgariad :P mostly because it's the first real fantasy I ever read when I was a boy, and as such it still hold a special place in my heart. Also it would suitable for a wider audience, due to the total lack of swearing/violance/bewbs, leading to them placing it in a more 'family friendly' slot, and hopfully introducing a WHOLE new generation to the wonders of fantasy novels

also although I know it will NEVER happen, seriously want to fucking buy a Malazan book of the Fallen series although tbh given how GRIM it is, especially the second book, I can't see that ever happening
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    am I the only one hoping that between this and the upcoming Dark Tower Movie/TV series combo, there will be a wave of Fantasy book based TV shows? (I'm pointedly ignoring Legend of the Seeker, because it was a fucking abomination, and everyone who worked on it, up to and including Terry Goodkind needs a serious kicking)
    am I the only one hoping that between this and the upcoming Dark Tower Movie/TV series combo
    Dark Tower Movie/TV series combo
    ?!WHAT!? *Hits up google*
    They got the dude from "A Beautiful Mind" to direct!?
    *HEAD ASPLODE*

Also: I hate Terry Goodkind. Why can't we have ONE famous Objectivist who isnt an overbearing hypocrtical-douchebag.
    Individuals are not simple. They cannot be defined for easy reference in the manner of:The elves are a lithe, pointy-eared people who excel at poverty.

10+ Year Old Account
    American Gods is the talk for the next one.http://www.ugo.com/tv/hbo-american-gods

I don't see Malazan happening either. lol Belgariad could be done though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I don't see Malazan happening either. lol Belgariad could be done though.
    I could see any of Edding's works (except for the abomination that was the younger gods) being turned into a TV series, I myself would watch it as long as they stick to the book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay, one more day till Episode 2!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been wondering this. Is the setting of the show set on Earth with just fictional characters? or in a completely different planet with nothing really in common?

Cuz when i was watching it, the "werebear" thing, i was wondering if it was just a huge bear and they called it a werebear, or actually a mythical creature.

It's face didnt look normal, but i didnt really get a good look at it, and it was chopped to hell by the barbarian people.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no name given for the planet. It's not Earth, though it is Earth like. Think, Tolkien's Middle Earth. Though dire wolves did actually exist here on Earth thousands of years ago.

Direwolves in the series can grow as large as ponies and the one on the show was killed by the stag they saw earlier. And when they found the direwolf, Ned pulled the antlers from it's throat.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Direwolf

10+ Year Old Account
    My one disappointment is what they did to the opening scene with the three rangers north of the Wall, encountering the Others. (And how they're simply calling them the "White Walkers" instead of Others)

It's still a very good opening, but ya know.

Also: Dany ain't that attractive. She's hot, but she's not all that amazing up top, if you catch my drift. People are only going nuts over her because she had a scene of full nudity in the first episode.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    There is no name given for the planet. It's not Earth, though it is Earth like. Think, Tolkien's Middle Earth. Though dire wolves did actually exist here on Earth thousands of years ago.

Direwolves in the series can grow as large as ponies and the one on the show was killed by the stag they saw earlier. And when they found the direwolf, Ned pulled the antlers from it's throat.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Direwolf
    ah yea, i remember the antlers now. but thanks for clearing that up, i was a bit confused. and, with this planet, the "winter" they keep talking about, they last like hundreds of years right? seasons are all fucked on the planet they are on right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    My one disappointment is what they did to the opening scene with the three rangers north of the Wall, encountering the Others. (And how they're simply calling them the "White Walkers" instead of Others)
    Those were White Walkers. They are called both White walkers and Others. They are the same.
    Wights are the reincarnated dead people. The little girl was a Wight. White walkers carry crystalline blades of ice. The reason you couldn't tell they were white was because of the night time shadows. Otherwise (unless they change it for the show) They are a dull white color). Also, White Walkers talking sounds like crackling ice. If you were to rewatch the intro, you could hear this throughout the entire time they were in the forest. Kinda creepy. =)

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Others

---------- Post added 2011-04-23 at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carmakazie View Post
    ah yea, i remember the antlers now. but thanks for clearing that up, i was a bit confused. and, with this planet, the "winter" they keep talking about, they last like hundreds of years right? seasons are all fucked on the planet they are on right?
    Yeah, seasons are not set year to year. There is no real set time. The summer they are in now has lasted about 9 years.
    IIRC, the winter associated with "the long night" lasted about 25 years, and that was 8000 years ago when the Others were out and about.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-04-24 at 02:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    and i guess the white walkers aren't even human right? Like, if Ned sliced one in half with that massive claymore, would their blood be blue or something?

lol, and i had no idea those cracking noises were them talking. i thought it was the noise they made when they moved since they were covered in ice

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I was most disappointed with the exclusions of: Drogo's riders offering the wedding gifts to Dany, and her cerimonial refusal and that they should go to Drogo. And Theon kicking the deserter's head after the beheading. Though I understand the time restraints.

Also, in the Book, Dany isn't raped. When she gets the horse, they ride and she feels wonderful with the winds rushing against her. When they are doing the talk and Drogo keeps saying no, in the book he grabs her and asks, "No?" And Dany replies with, "Yes". But withought her inner monologue throughout the episode, it would have been hard to convinvce viewers that she would go along with it. The scared little girl was more believable.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-04-24 at 03:11 AM.

and i guess the white walkers aren't even human right? Like, if Ned sliced one in half with that massive claymore, would their blood be blue or something?
    You will learn about the white walkers in depth in the third season (if there is one). 3rd book. I would highly recommend going to the library and checking the books, or at least the first one out for now and reading them, it will fill you in on a lot of info.

10+ Year Old Account

lol, and i had no idea those cracking noises were them talking. i thought it was the noise they made when they moved since they were covered in ice
    No one knows what the Others are. There is only speculation. =)

btw, the reason that DrakeWurrum said he was disappointed with the people refering to them as White Walkers is because in the book, the Westeros people call them Others, and the Wildlings (the people that live beyond the wall) call them White Walkers. I wasn't clear about that in my last post.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-04-24 at 03:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMG episode 2 is tonight can't wait

just for the lolz, to all you NONBOOK PEOPLE, just for the TV show types, who is your Fave/Least fave character so far, just based on the first two episodes? Or for the book people, who do you like so far, purely based on them in the show.

for Me it's Eddard FTW and Jaime FTL, how can he do that to poor Bran
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Purely based on the show's first 2 episodes, my favorites are... Ah fuck it. I've re-written this list 5 times already. Lol

When Summer killed the cutthroat, I got teary eyed happy. Lol

---------- Post added 2011-04-24 at 06:59 PM ----------

I loved that episode!

There was a certain line that Catelyn said to Jon Snow in the books that didn't happen in that episode. I was kind of disappointed. Anyway, pretty good episode. I'd say my favorite character just from the TV series has been Tyrion. In the books it's Jon Snow although I like Daenerys as well.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2011-04-25 at 02:40 AM.