Thread: dell screen?

dell screen?

so i'm in the process of getting a new gaming computer, and one of my buddies offered me his old screen. I plugged it into my laptop just to make sure everything is rolling, but i dont know anything about screen compatibility or if it would hurt my performance. the make is a dell E228WFP (dont even know if that means anything!), and it says in its menu that the optimum resolution is 1680*1050 with 60 Hz.
    Is this a solid screen, or will it hurt my computers performance? I'm not 100% sure on the screen size, but actually just googled it, so its 22 inches i believe
    it also comes with two cables...ones blue and ones white....does it make a difference which one i use?
    thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    VGA is blue, DVI is white. generally DVI is better as the single doesnt convert to analog from digital, but i highly doubt you'd notice a difference (i never have)

is he offering you the screen for free?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

hes already given it to me...i just dont know how good it is...i dont know much if you havent realized by now :P otherwise was gonna buy a new one

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    so i'm in the process of getting a new gaming computer, and one of my buddies offered me his old screen. I plugged it into my laptop just to make sure everything is rolling, but i dont know anything about screen compatibility or if it would hurt my performance. the make is a dell E228WFP (dont even know if that means anything!), and it says in its menu that the optimum resolution is 1680*1050 with 60 Hz.
    Is this a solid screen, or will it hurt my computers performance? I'm not 100% sure on the screen size, but actually just googled it, so its 22 inches i believe
    it also comes with two cables...ones blue and ones white....does it make a difference which one i use?
    thanks!
    I have a Gateway HDMI 22" 1680x1050 which is probably almost the exact same as your Dell. Let me just say, I love it. It is beautiful, crisp, and gets the job done. Probably 60 Hz too. And yes, use DVI over VGA, ALWAYS. As ||Demon|| said, VGA is blue and DVI is white, opt for DVI. It gives better performance. Chances are that monitor will be great.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

awesome! didn't realize it'd work out so great, thx for the quick replies

No monitor is going to impact your computer's performance. As for its quality, reviews on Amazon are overall positive so I guess it's cool.

well i've heard older comps with lower resolutions can hurt performance....right? so wasn't sure how old this one really was

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    well i've heard older comps with lower resolutions can hurt performance....right? so wasn't sure how old this one really was
    Its not inherently older computers.

Running at a higher resolution simply is more demanding, therefore requiring better hardware. Think of it like running more programs at the same time. The GPU simply has to manage more pixels, and thus it takes more time to complete each frame.

Older computers may not have the power necessary to maintain a pleasurable framerate if set too high in graphically intensive games.

ah ok, got it, thanks a lot for the help