Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Raiding without DBM (not on purpose)

Since DBM came out, i have been a devout user of it for all our raid encounters.
    But a few weeks ago i had to do a complete reinstall of WoW and subsequently my addons. Somehow i forgot to install DBM and went into the Maloriak HC fight (down this week btw ).

First thing i noticed was alot less spam going on, 2nd thing i saw is that Blizzard already has alot of emotes in place for boss fights.
    For example the Maloriak HC fight:
    Almost everything is already emoted an animated (like the charge buildup before he casts Arcane Storm)
    And like i said, alot less spamming info wise and made it a more relaxed fight for me at least (healer)

Have noticed the same on other raid bosses. Just keep boss targeted and you'll see pretty much everthing.

Now this is from my perspective and i still love DBM, just wont be using it as much anymore.
    Anyone else had the same experience? I would think that its easier for healers to run without it then other classes.
    But will gladly her from them too.

note: this is NOT a DBM rules / sucks / for newbs / for elites post.

As a healer I can say that a boss mod really helps me understand who and when someone takes damage. Having ability cd timers helps me make the best use of my power word barrier and other various uses. I'd prefer to keep raiding with a bossmod timer.

"Gearscore is like a bikini, what it shows is suggestive, what it hides is far more important!"

I agree with Memoryz... Having the timers helps a ton and for more than just the reason he/she mentioned. If you don't have them, then you will most likely lose some throughput/efficiency because you are trying to hard to pay attention to when the boss is going to use a certain ability. (For example, early on, DBM wasn't working right on Magmaw for me and I lost a lot of time/focus because I was distracted watching for the Flame Pillar graphic)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have actually raided for awhile without DBM (I think since ToC) Alot of the fight mechanics are shown in game and for timers I like to work them with my GC's like Heroic Throw for 1 minute, ect.

Ofc, but like i said: For anything special like the Flame Breath the boss has "tells" about when he is going todo it.
    So i just made the target castbar slightly bigger and read emotes "boss x is growing in size" ect ect.
    As for being to focused, i noticed the opposite and that i'm more aware of my surroundings and the fight.

Also, again repeating: Asking for experience from ppl running without DBM. not why DMB is needed / not needed.
    Last edited by Dujith; 2011-03-16 at 01:21 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep! Everyone has a different play style and as long as everyone doesn't stand in the fire and does what they're supposed to I don't care how they do it. (Coming from Raid leader that is ^_^ )

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to not use DBM or your preferred mod because you think there is too much spam. You should be going through the options and making it display only what you need to know, that way its a lot easier to track.

For example on on Maloriak as a DPS I don't need to be alerted on how many adds have spawned, or who has consuming flames. All I need to know is when the phase is going to change and when I get hit by an ability.

Customizing boss mods to suite your needs on a fight is something I think a lot of players don't do and it distracts some players more then you would think.

15+ Year Old Account
    Word. On encounters like the Ascendant Council there are close to 30 notifications. Depending on your guilds strategy you can turn a ton of them off. If you're a dps you can turn even more off. Same thing happened when I used DXE. It had a lot more timers than DBM and each one had a unique sound. About a minute per boss fixed it all.

As a dps having a timer for specific things like P2 on Atramedes it can mean the difference between re-applying my dots early as he flies or missing the boat completely. Sure you can guess (golf clap) but why bother when there's tools to improve your gameplay.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

guess? you do realize that everything gets emoted / animated

Deleted
    Sure you know that it is now popped (The ability) but you didn't have 10 seconds to move into positions, charge up a big heal, build up a new rotation, build up for that CD etc. etc.

DBM/BigWigs should still be a must if you're a serious raider.

I didnt ask for why u need it. Just wanted to ask if anyone else does raiding without dbm orso.
    Besides, every raid boss fight is a fixed set of events. no suprises tbh.

Alot of your "spam" on DBM is built in, you can turn everything off using DBM, or only leave up the timers that you NEED so you don't have stuff cluttering your screen.

You can do any fight without, but timers are a must, especially as our DK found out on heroic alakir over a month ago, timing Acid rain I was using my phone as a stop watch so i could tell him when to AMS next so his stacks would drop rofl

I didn't raid with it for long just to test it. On some fights it may not be "a must", but it really does help a lot.
    Fx, the stuff that blows you up in the air on Magmaw can be fairly hard to spot, but with DBM its easy as fuck.

Just wanted to ask if anyone else does raiding without dbm orso
    only idiots or casualbads raid without dbm

anyone whos serious about raiding has dbm or some add on like it(dues vox,etc).im assuming your raid leader eather failed to check and see if everyone had dbm,or is a complete idiot since i dont see how they let you raid heroic blackwing descent without dbm

User was infracted for this post, because he missed his interrupt when he got confused with all of his DBM timers. - Herecius
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-03-16 at 09:51 PM.

I don't really notice much of the "spam" because I don't spend much of a fight paying attention to my chat log. The raid warning type messages only happen for important things and don't bother me. The timers are absolutely amazing. I don't think I'd choose to not raid with DBM, I need to be able to know exactly how long until xyz happens without someone dictating the entire fight for me over vent. For instance, you just can't know how long until the next Maloriak fire blast to use a raid cooldown without a timer. You need to be ready to immediately switch dps to adds as green phase hits - if you wait until the boss emote, you're already loosing time if you have any ramp up or have to run to the adds.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who insist on raiding without addons should insist on not raiding. Blizzard balances their mechanics around players having boss mods like DBM. Otherwise this game would be much, much more random and unpredictable.
    Last edited by Hybred; 2011-03-16 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    only idiots or casualbads raid without dbm

anyone whos serious about raiding has dbm or some add on like it(dues vox,etc).im assuming your raid leader eather failed to check and see if everyone had dbm,or is a complete idiot since i dont see how they let you raid heroic blackwing descent without dbm
    im currently 10/13 heroic and i forgot to reinstall my DBM until we were 9/13 heroic... kthxbai

I personally enjoy the rare times during a patch or expansion even when dbm is outdated and everyone realizes how dependent they were on it. It does make the game a lil tougher but also more fun. Imagine if dbm was broken forever! Could be alot more fun if you're playin with people who don't mind. I heal and use dbm, but maybe I'll try without for a refresher haha.

I raided without DBM until we were 10/12 or so, I was just too lazy to update it. The only thing that I REALLY need a timer for is Searing Flame on Atramedes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    you don't need add-ons to raid properly...