Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cooling Suggestions for I5 2500k

Just looking for some suggestions on cooling for the I5 chip. It should be delivered shortly. I have a corsair H50 in my case on my AMD CPU, but then realized when I checked by drawers that I tossed the brackets for the intel boards. When I checked the corsair site, looks like they are out of stock for the replacements.

So I'm up in the air between air and water cooling at this time. I will be OC'ing the bajeeze out of this chip, probably pushing for 4.5. I've seen videos where 4.5 is achievable with the stock cooler, but I know there will be a a flurry of posts saying the stock cooler sucks.

I'm looking for a cooler around the $100.00 range, less would be preferable. Should I go with the H70? Another H50? Air? Water cooling kit? Help!

I would always recommend Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme - only one of the best heatsinks I've ever used.

I'm fond of the Corsair H70 myself. Easy to use water cooling for moderate OCing.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...181013&Tpk=h70
    Made from:
    50% Win, 50% LOL, 50% Legend... That is 150% mother*(#^$*!!!

What size restrictions, if any, are you looking at? E.g. what case are you using?
    Super casual.

---------- Post added 2011-03-17 at 12:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    What size restrictions, if any, are you looking at? E.g. what case are you using?
    No size restrictions. Coolermaster HAF X Full tower

Most people have been going with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...olmaster%20212. They have been taking to it ~4.8 ghz overclock with that, with absolutely no heat issues.
    But, if you have the extra cash, I'd go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608018. Tad more pricey, but you get more performance.
    Either will suit your needs perfectly :]

The dual fan option, does that make the PC sound like a shuttle launch? I have some goals:

1. Reduce overall noise. My PC isn't overly loud right now. I used to run 2 vid cards, but with my modded 6950 and the H50 all is quiet.
    2. Reduce how much heat is going into my office. Granted, I understand the better circulation my case has, the more hot my room will be.

I know it seems contradictory when I ask if air would be good and then compare that to my 2 goals, so as a note, I'm just looking at options.

EDIT: Nice fan btw and nice reviews, thanks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...olmaster%20212

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    The dual fan option, does that make the PC sound like a shuttle launch? I have some goals:

1. Reduce overall noise. My PC isn't overly loud right now. I used to run 2 vid cards, but with my modded 6950 and the H50 all is quiet.
    2. Reduce how much heat is going into my office. Granted, I understand the better circulation my case has, the more hot my room will be.

I know it seems contradictory when I ask if air would be good and then compare that to my 2 goals, so as a note, I'm just looking at options.

EDIT: Nice fan btw and nice reviews, thanks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...olmaster%20212
    Both fans aren't loud at all. And right now, that coolmaster is the best "Bang for your buck" out there.

this: (arrrg mmo champ wont let me post links yet) but i found the h50 mounting brackets on corsairs website for $5, its under the cooling accessories section
    and then keep the h50 because it will kick the pants off the air coolers your going to get for under $50

if you have a clear panel side, and want it to look good this is the one that I got to go with my rig
    newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106123
    can't post full links because I'm new'ish, but it works great, I have my 2500k clocked to 4.5, just got some higher quality thermal paste and this went on pretty easily, my temperatures stay pretty low at all times and it looks pretty damn sick when it is lit up / in action.
    it is pretty tall though /pretty damn bulky, but most air solutions are if you want good cooling, but I think it's definitely worth it
    Last edited by Khanso; 2011-03-17 at 06:50 PM.

i cant post a link buy a new bracket set for the h50 is on corsiars web shop for $5.00 and it doesnt look like its out of stock, its under the cooling accessories section.

http://www.corsair.com/cooling/cooli...0-brktkit.html

unfortunately when you click add to cart, they are out of stock. I believe they have been out of stock for some time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    I'm fond of the Corsair H70 myself. Easy to use water cooling for moderate OCing.

I bought the H50 just before this one came out and it is also very good, and i have only read good things about the H70 being slightly better.

I would reccomend either of these.

Deleted
    +1 vote for noctua nh-d14
    Noctua NH-D14 beats the Corsair H70 both in sound and cooling performance. The only reason to get the H70 is if you can't fit the NH-D14 in your case and you got ram with oversized heatsinks

If you have the money, definitely the Noctua NH-D14, Noctua fans move a ton of air and are SILENT. However, you can pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus then grab two Noctua NF-P12 fans and put those on in push-pull. It puts the price up around the D-14, but it's still an excellent cooling solution. Or, you can just grab a second Blade Master fan (the same kind it comes with) for better cooling as well.

You can't go wrong with either.

Deleted
    I dont want to make a new topic but i see newegg.com lot lately.Do they sell any Desktop package rdy or u have to build it alone.Also is there any feature in their site that u can select the parts by urself and make a custom PC?

Noctua NH-D14 with two Gentle Typhoons from Scythe.
    Either 1450RPM or 1850RPM.
    I went 1850, and PWM-control it :P

H50 and H70 are overrated and loud.
    CM212+ is decent. But not in range of the NH-D14.

(Thermalright Silver Arrow is better yet, but not availible anywhere)

I have the h50 in a push pull config with 2x 2000RPM CoolerMaster fans running at 1000RPM, and its pretty quiet.

Deleted
    Consider the Prolimatech Genesis. One of the best out there atm.
    Last edited by mmocd6ec2cafc0; 2011-03-18 at 02:46 AM.