Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Loot Drop Conspiracy

OK

I know that other people have noticed this before

When you are in an instance and the number of greens goes up almost rapidly.

What is the one thing you notice.

What I notice is that everyone in the group seems to be doing really well. This is the first thing. The amount broken CC, the general destruction and well playing people who are in the instance TO ME, determines the likelihood of getting luckier drops.

I would not post this if I didn't think it made sense.

This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: Other things of note, patterns are more likely, rare drops like blues. Sometimes we would get the same blue three times in a row.
    etc

I believe, the higher geared the group members are, the more Uncommon drops the group will see.

Or it could all be random.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Random is random. There is no conspiracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no conspiracy, there is no difference in group composition or skill.

This is 100% Fact

Loot is determined as soon as you step foot into the instance, per lockout, meaning if someone joins after a few bosses die, the loot won't change.

I disagree.

I also have been seeing gear drop consistently for people who are performing better in groups than others.

What we are told to be factual and if it actually is, this is a completely valid question.

I have NO doubts that the game has certain intricacies that determine the level of play of people in a raid or group

You're saying in every dungeon there is something monitoring performance, and then actively editing the mobs loot drop files according to pre-defined rules on the fly? 0_o

This system also reboots the entire instance server each time the group changes a "tier of good or badness" (bearing in mind most loot tables need a server side reset from what I can remember?

People who perform better generally loot the kills, knowing that there is quite a chance of rare drops these days. This is most likely what you are seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhunt View Post
    You're saying in every dungeon there is something monitoring performance, and then actively editing the mobs loot drop files according to pre-defined rules on the fly? 0_o

This system also reboots the entire instance server each time the group changes a "tier of good or badness" (bearing in mind most loot tables need a server side reset from what I can remember?

People who perform better generally loot the kills, knowing that there is quite a chance of rare drops these days. This is most likely what you are seeing.
    This isn't what Im saying at all

Imagine a rolling system that detects your gear level and knows if you need upgrades or not.
    Imagine that the system has pre defined coefficients to certain gear, but has a multiplying variable that corrects to your output.

DPS doing great dps ahead of heals or ccing or w.e you want, their performing variable will be increased and have a higher chance at looting things for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    This isn't what Im saying at all

Imagine a rolling system that detects your gear level and knows if you need upgrades or not.
    Imagine that the system has pre defined coefficients to certain gear, but has a multiplying variable that corrects to your output.

DPS doing great dps ahead of heals or ccing or w.e you want, their performing variable will be increased and have a higher chance at looting things for themselves.
    And the server reboot for chnaging the drop files?

Quote Originally Posted by Warhunt View Post
    And the server reboot for chnaging the drop files?
    It doesn't need to get changed because it is already worked into the code.

Try to keep up

Also, jumping 5 times on a corpse before looting it will increase the chance of good loot dropping. That may be due to squishing the body so flat the loot has nowhere left to hide, though.

It wouldn't need a server reboot, "give this item to them if" algorithms with weighted averages and such could easily be built into the loot table when the instance is generated.

Random, loot is random.

10+ Year Old Account
    loot is predestined by the gods...aka devs

how about this:
    u get greens more often in good grps cuz u kill more mobs?

dunno if im just stupid, but it sounds pretty logical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DariusMDeV View Post
    It wouldn't need a server reboot, "give this item to them if" algorithms with weighted averages and such could easily be built into the loot table when the instance is generated.
    This is along the lines with which I am talking about

How else do you think the game eventually separates people with skill and those that are not. I have noticed that very rarely I am getting paired up with people that do not know what they are doing. It almost no longer exists. If the condition that no one knows how to play this game, then why am I getting paired with skilled people.

There must be some form of built in code that determines your level of skill, keeps track of it, rewards you, and pairs you with people of equal skill.

I also believe that there are times that you are paired with those of lesser skill to provide insight to them, in a way to teach them to be better. But this of course would require open minds as well. I hope you came prepared

10+ Year Old Account
    performing better- faster kills- more loot chances - more loots

It would not be possible for Blizzard to hide stuff like this from the data miners and the people that run private servers. Now for some anecdotal evidence: I have done runs with my guild, where we clear cataclysm heroics in about 10-15 minutes. No Deaths, no broken CC, and 15k dps minimum per person. We pretty much have 5 mans down to an art, so why the hell aren't we rolling in greens?

On the other hand, i've been in terrible pugs, and gotten 5 greens from 1 pull. So as others have said, random is random.

I'm not saying any of this is happening, but just that you wouldn't need some kind of heroic coder make it happen.

If anything I thought there was an irony algorithm built into the game that would let you win your tier piece (the very next run) after you broke down and bought a superior crafted piece cause you couldn't get the tier piece after 100 tries, (happened with my Tier 0 pants on my Warrior). This algorithm also drops nothing but mail in groups lacking hunters and shaman.

Back in Vanilla, it LOVED to drop Shammy mail for alliance groups in Scholo and UBRS.