Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joben View Post
    I don't have a problem with RP, unless it interferes with my play experience. If I'm in a random and I say to sheep the moon and the response I get is "Avast, ye old magi doth not understand."
    Quote Originally Posted by MagusUnion View Post
    Basically, yeah.... RP, in some cases, devolved into this twisted form of fantasy sex fetish due to the idea of 'hey, this is a time where are normal laws/values don't matter... let's go bat-shit crazy...'

I'm met quite a few LARPer's at my college as well... Made the mistake of being a 'monster' in one of their events, and I had 40 yr old men bitch at me about hitting them too hard, despite the fact that they were wearing padded armor, and all I had was a long green shirt to indicate that I was the 'bad guy'....

Needless to say, I can't respect them because of that..
    Thank you, these two posts made me laugh for the better part of 5 minutes. Especially the polymorph one :P

In general, actual roleplaying takes a lot more time and dedication to a fictional character than most people are willing to give. And people naturally ostracize those that differ from the majority. Its a holdover from natural selection where the creatures with undesirable traits were shunned and excluded from the gene pool.

Also, those who mock roleplayers tend not to have as well defined an imagination and find it hard to understand a roleplayer.
    My allies are my sword; I am their shield.

I took part in the RP Invasion, May 15, 2010

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethermal View Post
    Pretty much that. i find it kind of odd myself but hey, whatever floats your boat
    what he said, in the same boat :P
    Lokann ogar!
    /brofist
    lotharion: "inserting the Lich King as a scooby doo villain didn't exactly make him scary in the slightest."

10+ Year Old Account
    OMG! I LARP'd once when I was a while back with a friend of mine who does it regularly. "wanna kick ass with a foam sword?" he asks. SURE! I show up to is a battle of Death Knights, Samurais, and Spartans clashing in a giant field. While im in some gym clothes. I beat some ass and had some old guy try to fight me cuz I beat him in a "duel" he said I was unsporting by raging in. lol
    Survival is Key

I have no problems with RPers. Just don't mess with my gameplay by RPing in dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just the same old worthless people that basically encompass everything that's wrong with the world. Don't understand something? Insult, fear, judge and mock it - that's the best way to deal with it. Oh, and when in doubt, consult popular opinion - because as we all know, popular opinion is infallible.

"HOW CAN ANYONE HAVE DIFFERENT INTERESTS TO ME?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!" - It's ok Johnny, you just need to either grow a brain, or shut up, don't worry about the rest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majobu View Post
    I generally think of RPers as people who goes to deep into the game. Kinda replacing their real lifes with the RP ones.
    RPers don't stay in-character 24-7...

We will RP in /say whilst having fun out-of-character banter in channels. We don't log off pretending to be our character

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think its bad and I don't pick on people that do it, but there is a time and place, they both happy to be labeled RP server. I pay on PvP servers so I hope I don't have to see it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieEater View Post
    Cybersex and LARP ruined the image of Role-Playing for the next decades.
    LARP? What is that? O_o
    Don't try to fix what's not broken~

Deleted
    People who roleplay as Female Draenei with 6 Penises all bigger than the Goldshire Inn Itself ruined it for everyone else. That or people who roleplay as the secret Son of Sylvannas and Kael'thas who could defeat the Burning Legion and Deathwing single-handedly with the Glaives of Azzinoth that he supercharged using The Sunwell and shards of Frostmourne, if we wasn't so busy brooding over his dark and tortured past.

'Normal' RP can be quite engaging and fun to watch unfold, if it's done right. I don't do it myself, however.
    Last edited by mmoc350bad3c21; 2011-03-19 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xegor View Post
    LARP? What is that? O_o
    Live Action Role-Play

Quote Originally Posted by Xegor View Post
    LARP? What is that? O_o
    I *think* it's Live-Action Role-Playing. As in people act like different characters in real life. Most of the time, it's kinda sad.

Anyway, I don't have anything against RP in general, but when people fail at it, I get a bit disappointed. That's all, though.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Why do so many hate/mock RPers?

It's not that far off from writing fan-fiction, and isn't it kinda ironic calling someone a nerd for it when you yourself are an MMORPG player and probably play heavy raiding/pvping. As far as RP is to me it's simply an outlet for the creativity of players, and I believe creativity and imagination should be praised NOT mocked.
    Not actively hating on RPing here, but using the excuse that it's not far off from fan-fiction doesn't really help it's case, since the same people who make fun of RPing make fun of fan fiction too.

(I personally do find fan fiction a tad ridiculous)

10+ Year Old Account
    haters gonna hate simple as that its a fantasy RPG so it allows people to dive into the lore and at some level for all players i think it it makes them want to be part of the story hence RPers i for one just think their nerds but then again i play a real nerdy game so i have no room to judge anyone and so i just let them do their own thing. and why RPing isn't enforced on RP servers kind of blows my mind that blizz and the community would let that happen.

I guess the haters want to play among people named xxxdeathknightx and use bad terms in /s, i prefer my world abit more "alive"

My guild requires an RP section for our applications, its also a great way to find out if players are willing to do something out of the ordinary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    Not actively hating on RPing here, but using the excuse that it's not far off from fan-fiction doesn't really help it's case, since the same people who make fun of RPing make fun of fan fiction too.

(I personally do find fan fiction a tad ridiculous)
    What's ridiculous about fan-fiction if it has vast story behind it?

I honestly have been wanting to try RP servers, but the one time I DID go to an RP server, it didn't seem any different at all. I didn't see anyone RPing or like any of that. I went and walked around in the main cities but yeah, didn't see anything.

I think it's the few people who DO take RP'ing too far- those who use it for fantasy cybering- who create the negative perception, just like in almost anything else. The FEW WoW gamers who have hurt or killed themselves from playing too much have given the rest of us a bad name.

The "one bad apple spoils the bushel" saying and whatnot.
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyistheguy View Post
    I honestly have been wanting to try RP servers, but the one time I DID go to an RP server, it didn't seem any different at all. I didn't see anyone RPing or like any of that. I went and walked around in the main cities but yeah, didn't see anything.
    Unfortunately due to the mass of 'I JOINED RP SERVER FOR MATES' it's hard to find unless you know the spots

I love RPing, and I've been wanting to try it in WoW for the longest time. I love my characters, and I think it would be really fun, but I don't know how it works on WoW, and I'm afraid of being yelled at or something. xD;

I used to RP with friends over MSN and such. I have a plethora of characters that are my own, that I made from scratch. It is different though because it's all text-based and doesn't have any sort of graphics. I loved RPing through MSN, and I feel like I'd have a lot of fun with it on WoW as long as people weren't mean about it.

Oh, and also, as someone said above, the people who play Mary Sues/Gary Stus and weird ass shit that make no sense ruin it for everyone else. There's a livejournal community dedicated to bad FlagRSP's and I have read some of them, most of which are just awful. To me, cybering is perfectly fine as long as it's in private. If it's in public, that's a bit over the top. :/

Oh and yeah, the one time I did go on an RP server to see what it was like, no one was RPing. It made me sad.