10+ Year Old Account

Improving internet speeds

Here's my situation, I have wide open west as my internet provider with their 15 mbps internet. I'm wireless downstairs in my house and our router is on our upstairs computer. My mom and sister both have laptops they use pretty frequently for petty shit. My problem is my internet is fairly mediocre(200ms+ in wow with big, frequent spikes) and I would like it to be a lot better. I'm the only person in the house who would even fully utilize a 15 mbps connection. I don't have any phone jacks in my room or cable outlets, but my sisters room next to mine has a phone jack. There's also the option of installing one in my room which will cost like $50 or less if I do it myself. My computer itself is fine, my lag isn't fps lag or anything like that, it's the internet. I don't know much about bandwidth and how all of the distribution of the internet works within a household with a router etc... So my question is pretty much, what can I do to maximize my internet speed, in my situation? Thanks a lot in advanced for any non-troll responses.

You could recrimp the phone line into RJ45 Cat6, or you could run a Ethernet over power, Ethernet over phone. Or you could just buy Cat6 cable for a few dollars and tape it to the ceiling and masking tape it to your room. Since my current residence was not completely pre wired, I ran the wires through the air duct system.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    I'm wireless downstairs in my house and our router is on our upstairs computer.
    Depending on how your house is set up, this is probably the biggest issue causing spikes. Since you mentioned phone jacks, I assume this is DSL of some kind?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    Depending on how your house is set up, this is probably the biggest issue causing spikes. Since you mentioned phone jacks, I assume this is DSL of some kind?
    My computer is in the bottom front-right corner of the house and the router is on the upper back-right corner, approx 50ft diagonally. I'm pretty sure this is a cable internet connection, for the router anyways.

A problem that I used to have was the microwave. It sat between me and our wireless router, and every time the microwave was turned on, my internet lagged out.

10+ Year Old Account
    So after doing a bit more research and looking at threads on this forum I found the one about WLAN Optimizer since after pinging google I noticed large spikes. After I installed that there wasn't really a change. So I tried it on my laptop, the same large spikes showed to be prevalent. Now I just figured for the fuck of it to check our main computer with the router, and it runs into the bottlenecks too. So is this a problem with my ISP?