Deleted

Change sound of spell

Hello, I sorry to have to post but I searched cannot find answer.

I want change spell of Mind Flay on my priest. I found old post on how to do it, but it not working now. I think changes of WoW have changed spell name maybe.

First I created folders so I have World of Warcraft\Data\Sound\Spells

Then I placed in a .wav file with same name I searched for and found Mind Flay to be called as described here

mmo-champion.com/threads/678346-Mind-Flay-soundeffect-problem

Put in folder with new .wav sound renamed to HolyMissileLoop.wav

Start Wow but still in game wow play same sound.

Help if possible, i think lots of people must want change spell sounds that are horrible a lot so this might help lots of people.

Thanks you.

Sorry for bad english.

Make another subfolder...

World of Warcraft\Data\Sound\Spells\Missile\HolyMissileLoop.wav

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Deleted
    Thank you very much!

I wonder is there a list any place shows names of all spells sound files.

ty again

Deleted
    Off-topic, sorry.

How is altering what sounds play when you cast spells allowed, but altering how you perceive you see your character (skin mods) not?

I know the effect is very different, but the reason had been the same, altering game files.

Yeah these are the contents of the Sound.MPQ file in your data folder.

http://pastey.net/148091-17ia

They are mostly character sounds and spell sounds. Any speech files or boss speeches are in completely seperate MPQs.

The method for adding .wav files into your data folder and having the game play those instead of the ones in your MPQ is the way Blizzard decided to make their game. I'm not too sure on model editing but I believe that involves going into the MPQs themselves and reverse engineering and changing them which is what they are against.
    Last edited by lawomous; 2011-03-24 at 05:00 PM.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Model edits require the use of a custom MPQ - and the exact same process was used to do such things as make herbalism/mining nodes enormous - so they render from farther away, and are MUCH easier to see (not click, but see).

Sound and artwork replacement, however, cannot be gamed to give one player a measurable advantage. Sure, you can make small sound cues easier to hear (here's looking at you, fishing bobber!), or whatnot, but it doesn't actually confer any real advantages in pvp, pve, or farming.

That's why one is allowed and one is not - whether or not the process can be used to give one player a real, measurable, and unfair advantage over another.

Also, no, the software that detects custom MPQ's can't tell what's being modified - just that a custom MPQ is in use, and that's all they need to know to decide the question of whether to ban or not to ban.

Deleted
    I´ve heard that changing sounds etc is agianst the terms

Deleted
    Thanks for the help lawomous. I was thinking of using loops from trance music with some drum loops too, so when i cast my spells I will be making music. I did it with a couple of spells and it works/sounds good. only cannot find all the other spells as they not using the spells actual name in game. made boss fights lot more fun, even more fun with all spells playing loops , guess it is just bit too much time to find every shadow priest spell though. as it just guess and test.

ty

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garsha View Post
    I´ve heard that changing sounds etc is agianst the terms
    It is not against the terms. This type of modification has been around since Vanilla - changing the sounds of Hunter gunshots - and BC - changing the sound of the engineering flying mount. If they didn't like it, they'd just make it not read the sound files - they did this in early Wrath with custom cursors.