Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I think my video card is slagging out on me

I have a Radeon HD 4850 that i have had for about 2 years now. Im running a 550 watt PSU 4 gigs of ram windows xp pro and 2.7 black edition amd. What has been happening is lately iv been seeing red lines appear on the screen or sometimes if i run wow my pc will crash or i will get an error from Catalyst.

That definitely sounds like the video card is dying. What make is it? If it's XFX, it should still be under their lifetime warranty (especially if you registered it two years ago). If it is, then get the RMA and they'll replace it with a modern-day equivalent.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try cleaning the card. Then, try ramping up the fan speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    That definitely sounds like the video card is dying. What make is it? If it's XFX, it should still be under their lifetime warranty (especially if you registered it two years ago). If it is, then get the RMA and they'll replace it with a modern-day equivalent.
    The video card is an HIS

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by qw4 View Post
    Try cleaning the card. Then, try ramping up the fan speed.
    Will try that and see if it works.

HIS should have a 3 year warranty, so try to contact their RMA department.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    HIS should have a 3 year warranty, so try to contact their RMA department.
    It is a 2 year and of course i am like 3 months out of it. Well I guess this gives me an excuse to upgrade maybe a HD 5770 or something like that.

if your PSU is any good, go for a 6870 or GTX 460 or something similar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    if your PSU is any good, go for a 6870 or GTX 460 or something similar
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-521-_-Product
    would be nice but i would have to upgrade my PSU probably a 700 and buy another fan to keep it cooler.

10+ Year Old Account
    I registered just to advise against the 5770, I've had the 5770 for roughly one year and myself and several people I know have had nothing but problems with freezing and crashing with this card.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-521-_-Product
    would be nice but i would have to upgrade my PSU probably a 700 and buy another fan to keep it cooler.
    You can run a 6870 on a good 650W PSU, easily. That's a good model, too, as the XFX dual fan cooler is pretty damn good. You can overclock it to Black Edition speeds as well (940MHz core clock, 1150MHz memory clock).

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharias View Post
    I registered just to advise against the 5770, I've had the 5770 for roughly one year and myself and several people I know have had nothing but problems with freezing and crashing with this card.

Uhhh what? Thousands of people tend to disagree with you.

Have you tried, you know, exchanging it under the warranty because it's obviously defective? 5770 is a fantastic card, you and your friends must have some seriously bad luck, and that's IF you even tried exchanging the obviously defective video card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hum since i don't think I can pry my wife out of a video card and PSU any time soon Cantii what do u think my best choice video card for a 550 watt psu would be. I prefer Ati and would be willing to spend around 100-200 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharias View Post
    And several people I know, including myself, have had no issues at all with their 5770's and are quite happy with them. I still have an 8800gts going strong, as wellt: never had a problem with it. But I personally know 4 people who had the same card die on them. Conclusion: your individual experience doesn't speak for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Hum since i don't think I can pry my wife out of a video card and PSU any time soon Cantii what do u think my best choice video card for a 550 watt psu would be. I prefer Ati and would be willing to spend around 100-200 dollars.
    Considering that the 4850 has a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, you could probably get away with a 6850. Something like the XFX HD 6850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-505-_-Product) or the ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-419-_-Product). Both are the same price, though XFX does have the better warranty.

Who cares about warranty when customer support is crap. I advice against XFX as they are a horrible brand. Their RMA service is nothing but ridiculously poor and treats their customers like trash. Please, do not go for XFX.

I've heard only good thing about EVGA, I got burned by BFG, as they liquidated their Graphics Card Department.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
    Who cares about warranty when customer support is crap. I advice against XFX as they are a horrible brand. Their RMA service is nothing but ridiculously poor and treats their customers like trash. Please, do not go for XFX.
    What do you expect when people don't register their product and the 2-year manufacturer warranty expires? Of course they won't replace it. I've had nothing but awesome come from XFX. Hell, they even allowed me to trade my reference 6870 Black Edition for the dual-fan Black Edition, just so I could overclock it without having to worry about it hitting 90C. XFX is a great company.