Thread: XLDR ATA Error

XLDR ATA Error

I just now removed spyware from a heavily infected system (not mine), and rebooted it. This was done using Spybot S&D. Upon rebooting the machine the first time, i got a black screen saying "[XLDR] ATA Error". I rebooted it again from their and it booted into Windows XP, only now it is showing the desktop (minus any icons or the windows bar) and keeps flashing the command prompt on and off. I did not delete any system files or anything. What is XLDR ATA Error??

Edit: The only thing i can figure is that Spybot could not delete some of the various spyware, so it needed to reboot and run at startup, it rebooted and began flashing the cmd. This may have been spybot attempting to start and failing over and over? idk, i just did a dell diagnostic and everything passed but the harddrive..... Not being my machine this could be very bad

Edit 2: It has booted to windows and spybot is attempting to run in the middle of the startup process as i had originally told it to. At this point i just want to skip the scan, i have a feeling that this machine is like a game of Jenga just waiting to collapse. As this is a friend of a relatives laptop, im reccomending the obvious to her, time for a new laptop (as this one is about 6 years old...).

Again, my main question, XLDR ATA Error? Sounds like a HDD issue to me (ATA is just the younger brother of SATA yes?), is it something thats fixable?
    Last edited by TheGiant89; 2011-03-22 at 02:58 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    This might work:

Boot from install Windows CD and run Recovery Console. In Recovery Console you should use command “fixmbr” to restore standard Windows MBR record and command “fixboot” to restore standard Windows boot sector.

Use command “exit” to exit from Recovery Console.

http://fdiskmbr.com/fixmbr/fixmbr/