Prot Pally Basics

Hi all,
    I currently main spec PvE as a ret paladin, with my OS being just another ret PvP spec. However, with the current changes, and nerfs if you will, upcoming to WoG and such, I feel its time to scrap my PvP spec and bust out my prot set I've been collecting for some time now, but just never socketed or enchanted it.
    That being said, I was wondering if I could get a very brief rundown on stat priorities and socketing methods for a prot pally. I'm sure there are many threads on this exact topic, but I'd rather get some updated information (or links) that anyone would be able to provide.
    I'm good with basic rotation and such (I think), I'm just more concerned with what I should be socketing for (including bonuses) and my priority stats as I have not tanked since pre-Cata. I remember socketing +30 stamina was the way to go, but I'm pretty sure that's not the way to go anymore with the implementation of mastery and certain talent changes. Then it comes down to which evasive stat I should be more concerned with (dodge/parry/block) and what I should look for when choosing between two pieces of similar gear.
    Any basic information that I can gather would be highly appreciated. I will just be starting out with heroics, so crazy in depth tank discussion is not necessary - but if your into it, by all means....
    Thanks.

Since you'll be starting out in heroics and not high-end tanking, i suggest you go look at http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewforum

I find it funny that you were playing ret prior to the mastery change as well :P.

Having said that, I can tell you what I currently prioritize.

Stamina>Mastery>Dodge=Parry

Personally that has been the rule that I have gone by for several patches now. Generally if I had to make a choice whether to put dodge or parry on top by a marginal percent it would be Dodge>Parry for the mana return.

Generally I find avoidance gemming more effective than stam stacking. Im not afraid of being a victim of a one or two shot attack as they rarely happens.

So when you look at a piece of gear, you want to prioritize mastery, followed by other tanking stats.

Deleted
    Use sockets with mastery.
    So, yellow: pure mastery ; red: mastery + parry ; blue: mastery + stamina. Nearly all bonuses are good enough to take them.
    Mastery is really good in terms of damage reduction.
    Dodge = Parry -> Look at the ratings of the both and try to get them close together so there isn't much you lose to diminishing returns.

Hit and Expertise aren't really important since they are only threat stats and this shouldn't be a problem (vengeance ftw) but if you want to tank heroic inis only then don't hesitate to pick a bit of them on your gear, will make it easier if you get good geared dps who don't look on omen etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enchants:
    Earthen Ring Head Glyph, Therazane Shoulder Glyph, Protection to Cloak, Stam to Chest, Dodge to Bracers, Mastery to Gloves and Boots, Belt Buckle/Leg kit Obviously
    Gems:
    Stam/Increased Armor meta until your avoidance is at least 35% (dodge and parry added together), and your mitigation is at least 60%(block) then you switch to Shield block meta. at that time stack mastery gems, but make sure you are using stam/mastery x3 in your gear somewhere(aim for mastery/stam socket bonus first) to proc the meta.
    Fractured Amberjewels everywhere get as close to block capped as u can,(you do this with mastery), since you get parry from strength, all of your gear with Mastery/Parry you will be reforging your parry into dodge. Anything with hit or expertise, you reforge it to mastery, if it has mastery, you reforge it to dodge. In most cases with reforging your dodge will be a lot lower then your parry, hence why you're reforging so they're as even as possible. Gear with Mastery/Dodge already are golden such as Rep cloak from Hyjal, and justice points tanking neck.
    Stat Priority - Mastery > Dodge/Parry > Stamina, your health will increase with gear, aim for a good stam trinket, with on use increase dodge, for an extra CD and the Tol Barad Mirror Trinket for about 5% block and a nice resistance CD for tanking.
    Last edited by KoolKidKaos; 2011-03-22 at 04:54 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Posts 4 and 5 nailed everything for a shield tank. Do what they say and profit.
    Warrior: Darkmourn - US Cenarius
    Shaman: Darkshocks - US Cenarius
    Rogue: Darkmorn - US Cenarius

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolKidKaos View Post
    Enchants:
    Earthen Ring Head Glyph, Therazane Shoulder Glyph, Protection to Cloak, Stam to Chest, Dodge to Bracers, Mastery to Gloves and Boots, Belt Buckle/Leg kit Obviously
    Gems:
    Stam/Increased Armor meta until your avoidance is at least 35% (dodge and parry added together), and your mitigation is at least 60%(block) then you switch to Shield block meta. at that time stack mastery gems, but make sure you are using stam/mastery x3 in your gear somewhere(aim for mastery/stam socket bonus first) to proc the meta.
    Fractured Amberjewels everywhere get as close to block capped as u can,(you do this with mastery), since you get parry from strength, all of your gear with Mastery/Parry you will be reforging your parry into dodge. Anything with hit or expertise, you reforge it to mastery, if it has mastery, you reforge it to dodge. In most cases with reforging your dodge will be a lot lower then your parry, hence why you're reforging so they're as even as possible. Gear with Mastery/Dodge already are golden such as Rep cloak from Hyjal, and justice points tanking neck.
    Stat Priority - Mastery > Dodge/Parry > Stamina, your health will increase with gear, aim for a good stam trinket, with on use increase dodge, for an extra CD and the Tol Barad Mirror Trinket for about 5% block and a nice resistance CD for tanking.
    Note that Socket Bonuses such as +10 Parry and +10 Dodge only increase your parry/dodge by .10% for each +10 to the stat, so Pure Mastery in a red socket with a socket bonus of +10 dodge is worth it because +40 Mastery > +20 Mastery + 20 Parry + 10 Dodge. Only reason being, the closer to the block cap the better. With full 359 or lower, you are going to be far far from block cap, BUT getting as close to it as you can, can only make healers love you more and more. Also hit and expertise the only reason you aren't worrying about them atm, is because they are strictly for threat purposes, and atm Prot Paladins, need no help in this department, so get it all out your mind for this current tier of raiding.
    Last edited by KoolKidKaos; 2011-03-22 at 05:02 PM.

thx guys, appreciated

Go to Elitist Jerks and look at the Protection Field Manual in the Paladin section of the forums.

That thread has EVERYTHING you need to know. It includes rotations, priority queues, best enchant choices and really good gem choices also, plus stat weights, how to reforge, and what stats to reforge first. I refer to it every time I have a question with my tanking and I always find the answer. I recommend you read through most of it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolKidKaos View Post
    Enchants:
    Gems:
    Im sorry but can you provide a link to one pally with those stats mentioned? My prot is ilevel 357 and is at 27% parry/dodge and 51% block. Unless you are rocking full heroic gear those numbers are not attainable, so therefore useless.