Thread: PSU issue

PSU issue

recently assembled a new pc. Hooray.
    Then earlier today the power just died.
    Boom.
    Unhooked everything - figured maybe overheating? There was the smell of melting plastic... but running similar tests since I haven't been able to push the PC past 45 degrees - really not an overheating situation.
    hooked it all back up and it starts up... only the PSU is really loud.
    Now if I have my tower on its side, the PSU is silent and works perfectly. But if I have it upright there is a loud noise, like something is obstructing the fan.

The PSU is a Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W.

I checked to make sure it wasn't vibrating against anything... I see, nor feel, any real reason for that noise.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Anyone have a magical solution?
    I'd rather not send it back and get it replaced if I can avoid it, but the noise is rather loud and annoying - and I don't like the idea of laying my PC horizontally.
    'Cause what the world needs now
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the bearing in the fan went.

RMA or return the power supply. Only other option is to replace the fan yourself voiding your warranty on the PSU.
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-03-22 at 03:49 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have that exact same PSU. Have had it for a few days now, it being loud is probably a sign of something wrong with it because it made less noise than the stock one I was using.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Okay... this is... kind of embarrassing. I should have checked all my bases first.
    Remember how I said that it sounds like the fan is being obstructed?
    Guess what?
    It was.

The little plastic stabilizer (I'm guessing that's what they are made for) at the bottom of the case below the PSU...
    well, apparently one had gotten sucked up into the fan.
    My guess is it probably got sucked up and stopped the fan - hence the initial shut down. When I was unhooking and shaking the PC around, it came mostly out... but enough was in that it still would create that god awful clicking noise.

Removed it, stuck it back in its hole, booted up and now I have my nice quiet PC back.

Let this be a lesson to everyone - check all your work.

Edit: however, it did finally give me a chance to install the onboard speaker. Not that the beeps are the best, but it's nice to have.
    'Cause what the world needs now
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.