Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Pretty sure its an april fools joke
    Agreed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Lol i gotta agree with this one. Duke 3d wasn't even 3d. Here im gonna put the geek glasses on for a sec...duke 3d and quake came out the same year. Quake was the first fps to use a floating point processor, making it a truly 3d game. Quake was also the first fps to have tcp/ip native, and allow up to 16 players, which was a huge number for the time as we were all used to 4player max. Quakeworld later came out and basically put in the foundation for how fps netcode would be built from that point forward, balancing the tables between "LPB's" and HPB's" (if you don't know those acronyms you're too young to know wtf im talking about in this post).

Quake was also the first game to really support and encourage modding, allowing people to make addons of all kinds via "quakec". CTF, Team Fortress, and other widly popular fps mods had their start in Quake. Modding went to the next level with the quake 2 engine, which the half life engine was built upon and ultimately produced counter strike.

Further to this Quake was the first to run in OpenGL, and later D3D, which basically was the birth of 3d accelerated graphics.

Quake overshadowed duke 3d in every single aspect except single player / storyline. It was the biggest leap forward in technology the fps genre ever saw and probably ever will see, and in my opinion the best/fastest multiplayer fps experience the genre has ever had.

To me, duke3d was just a fun little 2d game where you could go to a strip bar, and after 10 or 15 minutes of that it was enough. Duke nukem forever can take forever, im not in a rush to play it.
    I'm going to quote Tycho wholesale to slap you, and the other haters, down.

Consider that "Quake," a game which came after Duke and was considered to be the primary competitor to Duke at that time, did away with manual interactions altogether. You progressed through the game largely via frottage; you simply rubbed yourself against walls and doors until they gave way, either by a scripted trigger or simply through vigorous abrasion. Duke could have been made as a response to Quake, even though it came out before: it had world as tangible, or more tangible, than many shooters today.

Things get more complicated when you start thinking about QuakeC, or native IP support, and then all bets are truly off the first time you entered +mlook at the console. I mean, that's when you knew. But as a design - as a place? For all its interdimensional chaos, you could eat off of Quake. Every molecule was clean. Duke, on the other hand, was filthy with ambiguities.

Jetpacks. Tricksy holograms. Shrink-rays. I mean, there are entire games based on individual Duke features. Timed detonators! It's like they had access to a different alphabet, and somewhere they are still hoarding those secret letters. Why are all of those ideas in the same game? It's from 1996, and it still comes up in conversation. The Subway. The Bank. Virtually unlimited levels to play on, 20k or less in most cases. I shot Gabriel once with a shrink ray, and he used his jetpack to fly out the window like an insect. Fifteen years ago. Still talking about it, about scenarios that to this day no game has managed to top.

Deleted
    They may aswell just release it now, Gearbox love releasing buggy games

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Lol i gotta agree with this one. Duke 3d wasn't even 3d. Here im gonna put the geek glasses on for a sec...duke 3d and quake came out the same year. Quake was the first fps to use a floating point processor, making it a truly 3d game. Quake was also the first fps to have tcp/ip native, and allow up to 16 players, which was a huge number for the time as we were all used to 4player max. Quakeworld later came out and basically put in the foundation for how fps netcode would be built from that point forward, balancing the tables between "LPB's" and HPB's" (if you don't know those acronyms you're too young to know wtf im talking about in this post).

Quake was also the first game to really support and encourage modding, allowing people to make addons of all kinds via "quakec". CTF, Team Fortress, and other widly popular fps mods had their start in Quake. Modding went to the next level with the quake 2 engine, which the half life engine was built upon and ultimately produced counter strike.

Further to this Quake was the first to run in OpenGL, and later D3D, which basically was the birth of 3d accelerated graphics.

Quake overshadowed duke 3d in every single aspect except single player / storyline. It was the biggest leap forward in technology the fps genre ever saw and probably ever will see, and in my opinion the best/fastest multiplayer fps experience the genre has ever had.

To me, duke3d was just a fun little 2d game where you could go to a strip bar, and after 10 or 15 minutes of that it was enough. Duke nukem forever can take forever, im not in a rush to play it.
    Except Quake D3D never came out... until the source code was released in 2002 and was still awhile after that... >>

Seems like the only thing forever about this game is the development. Has any other game had this long of a development time. It's been in the works for well over a decade hasn't it. Of course Diablo 3 is looking like it might match it with the way it's going.
    http://thegamerclown.blogspot.com
    News, reviews, and plenty of gaming humor. New posts every Sunday.
    Latest Post: April 28, 2011 "Spine Ripping Good Fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Majyqman View Post
    I'm going to quote Tycho wholesale to slap you, and the other haters, down.
    That's a perfect quote, to be honest. It covered what I was saying a lot better than I said it

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy T View Post
    Seems like the only thing forever about this game is the development. Has any other game had this long of a development time. It's been in the works for well over a decade hasn't it. Of course Diablo 3 is looking like it might match it with the way it's going.
    A sequel to Duke Nukem 3D has been in the works in one form or another since 1996. For the most part, it was George Broussard at 3DRealms that not only kept the project going, but kept it delayed. The current iteration by Gearbox is probably all their own material, and finally it will be released, as there is no way a company like 2K would have gotten behind it and run with it this far if they were not going to publish.

Quote Originally Posted by gyoz View Post
    NO not an attention troll i'm 31 btw and duke nukem still sucks nothing about that game was fun i am entiled to my opinion no matter who gets butthurt over it
    You made a mistake there, you got the 3 and the 1 back to front.

Eh, it could be worse. Could be a lot longer wait. Like years.

Quote Originally Posted by gyoz View Post
    NO not an attention troll i'm 31 btw and duke nukem still sucks nothing about that game was fun i am entiled to my opinion no matter who gets butthurt over it
    Who are you kidding? 31? LOL
    You are entitled to your opinion? sure. Guess what, we are also entitled to our opinions about you and your stupid opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blightarrow View Post
    KILL THE INFIDEL! in the words of duke, two phrases for you good sir.

-Eat shit and die.
    -BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS.
    idk why but those lines made me laugh my ass off gotta play the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Delay makes sense in this case. Day after E3. Hype up the full release there, get people talking, more preorders. They got 10 years of Dev to pay off so they need to sell a lot up front. Could be a joke just the same too, but it's ok either way.