Windows 7 tweaks

Are there any good Windows 7 tweaks that I could use other than the TCP one that will help with latency issues?

I want to say no.

Windows 7 is pretty well optimized as it is, even that TCP one doesnt really help that much. Yea your game shows 20ms instead of 200ms, but it doesnt reduce the lag that way for real.

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what these two options do:

- Set internet QoS to disabled/reserve 0% bandwidth
    - Enable disk Write Caching and turn off Write-cache buffer flushing (both boxes checked)

I don't know what they are, what they do, or how to do them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what these two options do:

- Set internet QoS to disabled/reserve 0% bandwidth
    - Enable disk Write Caching and turn off Write-cache buffer flushing (both boxes checked)

I don't know what they are, what they do, or how to do them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    neither are useful in your context. you can only QoS a node, a terminal, a computer on your network. you cant QoS a specific file.

write caching is also for networking. its for transferring data to an external storage device.

Correct, its also on a device-by-device basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Actually, i believe Write Caching is at a disk level, and with it enabled (default), it uses the cache of the drive. Disabling flushing of the cache simply means it doesn't perform the task of cleaning it every time new data is placed in the cache, it simply overwrites it.

QoS is enabled by default on Windows 7, and while it won't make much of a difference, disabling it is just a natural course of action to take. After all, it's wasted resources otherwise.

Deleted
    After all, it's wasted resources otherwise.
    I think you need to read up on what it actually does. Disabling QOS because it 'wastes resources' is so 2003.

Deleted
    If u play WoW on Win7.
    1. Open Taskmanager
    2. Look for WoW.exe
    3. Rightclick > Priority > High
    4. ?????
    5. Profit

WoW runs now with more FPS, specialy in raids.

Deleted
    What? If it's enabled, and you're not making use of it, it is wasting resources.
    If the reserved bandwidth is currently not in used, its not reserved. E.g. its at 0%. You're not wasting resources as its not using resources to begin with.

For the average user, QOS brings stability to network functions - so your motivation of disabling it for the regular user really is questionable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Open Internet Explorer --> go to Tools --> Internet Options.
    Make sure "Delete browsing history on exit" is checked, good way to quickly exit and zip up your pants when your mom/gf/wife walks in on you spankin it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHwip46 View Post
    Open Internet Explorer --> go to Tools --> Internet Options.
    Make sure "Delete browsing history on exit" is checked, good way to quickly exit and zip up your pants when your mom/gf/wife walks in on you spankin it.
    L2Chrome Stealth window (or whatever its called, not at my pc)

Deleted
    http://www.smartpcutilities.com/servicesoptimizer.html

It's a really great piece of software called Vista Services Optimizer (it works for W7 as well). It provides a good wizard for managing unnecessary windows services. Works really well for gaming ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartadin View Post
    L2Chrome Stealth window (or whatever its called, not at my pc)
    Private browsing in general.

All browsers support this. Internet Explorer calls it InPrivate browsing, and can be activated by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + P.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Private browsing in general.

All browsers support this. Internet Explorer calls it InPrivate browsing, and can be activated by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + P.
    Just have to be careful with it, since it does still leave traces around... though your standard computer user wouldn't find them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Just have to be careful with it, since it does still leave traces around... though your standard computer user wouldn't find them.
    Fire solves that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    If the reserved bandwidth is currently not in used, its not reserved. E.g. its at 0%. You're not wasting resources as its not using resources to begin with.

For the average user, QOS brings stability to network functions - so your motivation of disabling it for the regular user really is questionable.
    He means the service even running is overhead.