10+ Year Old Account

Back seat healing?

So my priest is lv 72, main spec shadow and I haven't played her in quit some time so I decided to do a random. Now not having played in a while I have forgotten about Vampiric Embrace did some small healing on side. So the random LFG tool pops up and we start the dungeon, I notice that everyone in the group ( except me) is from the same guild and they were all the same lvl as one another, 74. Now were cruising through the instance and about half way through I'm asked to turn Vampiric Embrace off b/c the healer is supposed to heal, not dps. So being the nice guy that I am, I did as asked and turned it off.. After had done so we start to wipe left and right, so I suggested that if I turned Vampiric Touch back on we may have a better chance getting through the instance. Of course the tank had a problem with the idea and said no, so I said ok and just like before, we start to wipe again, So I simple ask again and this time I get yelled at and called a noob for not knowing how to play my class and not doing enough dps. Now I will admit my priest doesn't get as much love as my main does but it does have descent gear for its lvl (well back in WotLK). After wiping before the last boss I get kicked and scream "wtf!" and the reason for me being kicked was that I needed to learn to play my class.. Was I doing anything wrong?.. Can anyone shed some light on this??.. Has this happen to anyone else before?
    Last edited by Ferbster; 2011-03-27 at 03:02 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like a terribad guild doesn't know about the shadow priest playstyle lol
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people are egotistical like that. Nothing to get worked up about, they're not worth it.

You had a group full of morons/trolls

10+ Year Old Account
    /sigh... It looks like I did.... Well thank you all for the posts

10+ Year Old Account
    lol you had a group with baddies. sometimes it happens. just not usually 4 at a time. my condolences.

It's Vampiric Embrace, not Vampiric Touch...

this makes absolutely no sense. VE healing is so small a brain dead monkey playing any healing class can out heal it. VE isnt the problem. alwasys keep VE on at all times.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfire View Post
    It's Vampiric Embrace, not Vampiric Touch...
    .... So it is! thank you for correcting my mistake!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sir you have beard witness to the Rare yet no so rare Egotistical jackass of wow. i had a similar run in with a mage in a random.
    i was a healer on my druid and i noticed the Fire mage was Sitting there spaming Scortch, so i told him , you know [Mage] Fireball is more dps you should use that.
    the mage goes Lol Scortch casts fast nub look at my dps.
    he was doing 6k dps >.> i was doing 12k at 71 on my rogue and shaman.
    Anyways after he called me a dumbass, i simply let him and his friend that agreed with him die.
    and then they kicked me.
    it was awsome.
    Some people are just too ignorant for their own good and think they are the best and their play style is flawless.

Honestly, when I'm healing, if some healing happens as part of a DPS's rotation (Vampiric Embrace, Divine Storm, ect), that's completely fine with me. Heck, if a Draenei wants to throw a out Gift Of The Naruu, or a Ret pally wants to Lay On Hands the tank, that's fine too. Helps me out, and saves me some mana in case stuff hits the fan. Sounds like you had people who really have no idea how to play/a healer who's ego was more important to them than success.

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Sir you have beard witness to the Rare yet no so rare Egotistical jackass of wow. i had a similar run in with a mage in a random.
    i was a healer on my druid and i noticed the Fire mage was Sitting there spaming Scortch, so i told him , you know [Mage] Fireball is more dps you should use that.
    the mage goes Lol Scortch casts fast nub look at my dps.
    he was doing 6k dps >.> i was doing 12k at 71 on my rogue and shaman.
    Anyways after he called me a dumbass, i simply let him and his friend that agreed with him die.
    and then they kicked me.
    it was awsome.
    Some people are just too ignorant for their own good and think they are the best and their play style is flawless.
    Well, those DPS numbers are completely absurd and wrong, but I agree with the sentiment of this post.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    I forgot too mention, there is an actual ranking amongst wow players and they go as such

Nub-Worst of the worst Dont know how too play Warrior wearing cloth dpsing with broken weps, cause they dont know what repair is.
    Noob-Related too the Nub but knows what repairing is and Does Sub par damage and tanking, when tanking they let adds kill the healer. or let people die as the healer.
    Casual Player-Knows some basic mechanics of the game, so questing and randoms isnt so hard. they like to die in fires and QQ alot, and Kick the good players for making them look bad.
    Casual-Elite- Knows MEchanics of the Game Has several high level toons and does Some what better than the casual, though they stand in fire occasionally and for only mere moments, QQ is low and skill is moderate.
    Elite- Good player knows how too play and kicks ass in every way imaginable, has best gear and is silent all the time because they are playing with the guys below him in the ranking.

i am Casual-elite

Not that I play much anymore, but I mind healing coming from the others in my group when BOTH of the following are true:

1) It's not needed (in other words, I'm perfectly capable of doing the healing myself)
    2) It's an actual direct heal (word of glory, flash heal, healing wave, etc).

How I react to it depends on the situation. Honestly, if I'm going along healing just fine and one of the DPS stops to start casting heals mid-fight, the obvious implication is that they believe I am incapable of getting the job done myself. Usually I'll ignore the insult, but it's an insult nevertheless. Even beyond that aspect, if they are not needed to heal, they should be dpsing. They're not making the run smoother by unnecessarily healing; I guarantee that unless they are completely incompetent, the dps they would do by letting me heal is worth far more than the dps/nothing I would do now that they've done the healing for me. (I play a holy paladin. If the group has an elemental shaman that decides to heal himself instead of dpsing, what am I going to do, holy shock the enemy? Oh boy, I'm sure that tickles...) If the group is taking a huge pounding and there's a chance the dps didn't know I had it under control I don't care, it's the people who get hit by a boss attack when everyone is fine and feel the need to start spam healing themselves when they land that bug me. (Ret pally who pops holy radiance after we get dropped to 1 hp during the first boss in SFK? Not needed, but doesn't really bug me. Ret pally manages to pull aggro for one hit and steps back to cast divine light? Just get back in there and attack, I'll take care of you, that's my job).

All that said, incidental/automatic heals such as vampiric embrace are a HUGE and OBVIOUS exception. VE costs the Shadow Priest absolutley nothing during a fight, and it's a fundamental part of their spec. The group you had was idiotic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Not that I play much anymore, but I mind healing coming from the others in my group when BOTH of the following are true:

1) It's not needed (in other words, I'm perfectly capable of doing the healing myself)
    2) It's an actual direct heal (word of glory, flash heal, healing wave, etc).

How I react to it depends on the situation. Honestly, if I'm going along healing just fine and one of the DPS stops to start casting heals mid-fight, the obvious implication is that they believe I am incapable of getting the job done myself. Usually I'll ignore the insult, but it's an insult nevertheless. Even beyond that aspect, if they are not needed to heal, they should be dpsing. They're not making the run smoother by unnecessarily healing; I guarantee that unless they are completely incompetent, the dps they would do by letting me heal is worth far more than the dps/nothing I would do now that they've done the healing for me. (I play a holy paladin. If the group has an elemental shaman that decides to heal himself instead of dpsing, what am I going to do, holy shock the enemy? Oh boy, I'm sure that tickles...) If the group is taking a huge pounding and there's a chance the dps didn't know I had it under control I don't care, it's the people who get hit by a boss attack when everyone is fine and feel the need to start spam healing themselves when they land that bug me.

All that said, incidental/automatic heals such as vampiric embrace are a HUGE and OBVIOUS exception. VE costs the Shadow Priest absolutley nothing during a fight, and it's a fundamental part of their spec. The group you had was idiotic.
    on my enhance shaman i lower the load the healers have by useing Healing Rain with my malestrom procs, everyone in the melee range gets a small heal and at little too no cost cause im still managing the same dps.
    its not an insult if you want people not dying, from fire. so yea my 2 cents

Only problem is...you can never tell the reason you were kicked from a group...so yeah.

Would it kill some ppl to put in some spaces? and ya i agree with this rather annoying...