An idea how to make Herb and Skinning viable

Hear me out on this one guys it just popped into my head and i thought "wow i should post this on MMO!"

So why doesnt blizz make some sort of special items ONLY able to be crafted by someone with a certain combo of professions, like say you have... for example enchanting and tailoring. Then you would have a certain ability available once both hit 525 to be able to craft Enchanted Embersilk or even a certain item that has an enchanted extra stat.

I really will have to think deeper into this but it would create an end game use for some of the crappier professions that arent good for anything but auction house farming.

Maybe Herb and Alch allows you to make special Organic Elixirs that give better stats... or 2 stats or last longer! i dont know but i do think theres alot of potential for something that would work

Lemme know what you all think!

Edit : if this was posted before i apologize i looked back a few pages but didnt see anything similar

Quote Originally Posted by caboose1984 View Post
    Hear me out on this one guys it just popped into my head and i thought "wow i should post this on MMO!"

So why doesnt blizz make some sort of special items ONLY able to be crafted by someone with a certain combo of professions, like say you have... for example enchanting and tailoring. Then you would have a certain ability available once both hit 525 to be able to craft Enchanted Embersilk or even a certain item that has an enchanted extra stat.

I really will have to think deeper into this but it would create an end game use for some of the crappier professions that arent good for anything but auction house farming.

Maybe Herb and Alch allows you to make special Organic Elixirs that give better stats... or 2 stats or last longer! i dont know but i do think theres alot of potential for something that would work

Lemme know what you all think!

Edit : if this was posted before i apologize i looked back a few pages but didnt see anything similar
    Not a bad idea, but why only suggest the professions that synergize with each other? Why not double gatherings or double craftings?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexxtar View Post
    Not a bad idea, but why only suggest the professions that synergize with each other? Why not double gatherings or double craftings?
    You might have missed that his first example is double crafting (tailoring & enchanting) ^^

And the idea seems interesting, maybe post it on the official forums?

Quote Originally Posted by caboose1984 View Post
    I wouldn't call a 450 haste trinket + self heals or a little extra crit crap. For my class and spec they are, but some specs love haste and/or crit.

Deleted
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me

This would help me quite a bit considering my main is a Leatherworker and skinner. I mean, I skin everything, but I end up selling it because I have no need for the leather anymore

Not a bad idea but I don't think Blizzard will make anything unimportant like this, I bet you've seen what they wrote about some important stuff in the ask the devs and they said 'it is on the list, but we've no plans right now :X'.

Don't expect too much.

Deleted
    well its really nice idea,thanks for sharing mate !

I really like this train of thought. for instance if you have skinning and lw, you can use your knowledge of leather to skin better type of leather ( maybe skin heavy ???? leather rather than have to craft it )

Problem is there are some professions that dont synergise well but offer good rewards. But i suppose this would be a boost to those that use 2 profs that do work together

Gathering professions will never be "viable", as they're "farming professions", not "raiding profession". Why bother lvling JC or LW that costs tons of money while you can have a profession that gives you tons of money and still as good?
    For the combo thingy, that just complicates things. I'd rather they buff professions separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    You might have missed that his first example is double crafting (tailoring & enchanting) ^^

And the idea seems interesting, maybe post it on the official forums?
    Oops!

Although I also have to admit I see tailoring as the gathering prof for enchantment

I will post it on general forums i think, and i know what some of you say when you think that gathering professions are for just that, but i think they should have some importance for the people that do raid and have those professions. and i was only using those other ones as an example, lets say you have herb and skinning, well maybe you get some sort of bonus that allows you to make special types of hides using balms from certain herbs we will say, theres endless amounts of combos and possibilities that could come from this that would make professions a little more interesting and more original then what we have now.. i want it to be back like it was in vanilla when it was special to get a certain pattern or chant. not like now.. its too homogenized

Deleted
    Personally i prefer the flexibility to have whatever 2 main professions i wish, without them having to be linked.

Having a gathering alt with dual gather isn't that uncommon, and there is nothing stopping anyone like Lemoron from dropping Skinning now they no longer have a use for it on their main.

If you boost the gathering professions too much, then no one will bother craft, and as such there will be no one buying what you gather .

Deleted
    I agree with @Kiddies, even if the idea is cool gathering professions cost nothing, gives you alot of resources and gives a small passive bonus. while the crafting professions gives you a solid boost, cost a ton of gold or resources to level or both.

But sure it would be nice to have a synergy bonus on all professions, not just the gathering then it would be fun.
    but the number of combos is very long so i doubt blizzard would even implement it.

Alch/Mini
    Alch/Herb
    Alch/Skin
    Alch/JC
    Alch/Ench
    Alch/Engi
    Alch/Blacks
    Alch/LW
    Alch/Scrib
    Mini/Herb
    Mini/Skin
    Mini/JC
    Mini/Ench
    Mini/Engi
    Mini/BS
    Mini/LW
    Mini/Scrib
    Herb/Skin
    Herb/Jc
    Herb/Ench
    Herb/Engi
    Herb/BS
    Herb/LW
    Herb/Scrib
    Skin/JC
    Skin/Engi
    Skin/Ench
    Skin LW
    Skin/Scrib
    Skin/BS
    Jc/Ench
    Jc/Engi
    Jc/LW
    Jc/BS
    Jc/Scrib
    Ench/Engi
    Ench/Lw
    Ench/BS
    Ench/Scrib
    Engi/LW
    Engi/BS
    Engi/Scrib
    LW/BS
    LW/Scribe
    BS/Scribe

Quote Originally Posted by Kidies View Post
    Gathering professions will never be "viable", as they're "farming professions", not "raiding profession". Why bother lvling JC or LW that costs tons of money while you can have a profession that gives you tons of money and still as good?
    For the combo thingy, that just complicates things. I'd rather they buff professions separately.
    That's the the reality of it, gathering professions are sub par. According to shadowcraft, skinning is worth about 80~ dps where as the "raiding professions" as you call em are worth about 250. Why keep the gathering professions below the capabilities of the others. I personally dont see the point of making em not equal so your forced into doing something thats a pain in the ass just for the sake of min maxing.

Sure my skinning/lw is sub par, but why should i suffer in dps because i love the convenience of skinning paired with lw. Just because it's more convenient? Doesnt make much sense to me.

And to all of you suggesting that if gathering paired with a profession that it goes with gets a synergy buff that all the others should to? Thats not the point, they'd be better dps increases just like they are now. The point is to make skinning/lw, mining/bs the same raw dps increase as jc/enchanting would be.

/rant
    Last edited by Necroticfury; 2011-03-29 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticfury View Post
    Sure my skinning/lw is sub par, but why should i suffer in dps because i love the convenience of skinning paired with lw. Just because it's more convenient? Doesnt make much sense to me.
    They are designed with that exact trade-off in mind. If you want the convenience of the gathering profession, you suffer a slight performance penalty. Are you okay with giving up ~150 DPS for that convenience (and money-making ability)? If yes, keep on keeping on. If no, you reroll your profession.

Personally, after years of min/maxing my professions, I've given up on it. I enjoy gathering professions, and so my main is currently a skinner/miner. I make up the DPS difference by knowing what I'm doing. =P