Thread: Farming Alt

Farming Alt

Hey, guys. Me again.

My main is a SV Hunter for Raids and MM for PvP. Currently has 525 JC and 525 Minning. I eventually want to drop Mining for BS, LW or Eng for DPS, but I'm not too sure. I got an on-going thread about that. I'm aiming towards Eng for DPS and for the fun factor.

Anyways, I've started a Druid as a farming alt. I heard they're fun. I am definitely picking up Mining and keeping it for JC and Eng (or BS) for my Hunter.

I can't decide whether to go Skinning or Herbalism. I've heard I don't need to switch from Find Minerals/Herbs anymore so I was thinking Mining/Herbalism. However, I figured I'll be killing mobs all the time to level 80 (that's the plan so far so I can get the fastest flying mount so I can farm). But at the same time, I also want to make gold with the 2nd prof.

What mats should I look for in the AH that will determine which will make me more gold, herbalism or skinning? Remember, I'm just picking them up as a pure secondary farming prof. I checked wowhead and apparently, Twilight Highlands is the only map that has both cata herbs and ores. So I'll be hanging out there most of the times, which I already do on my Hunter when I want to mine. I go back to Deepholm from time to time.

So yea, what should I look for in the AH? Once I reach 80 for 525 farming skill and fastest flying mount, I probably won't be killing mobs so Skinning MIGHT get useless unless I eventually wanna roll a new toon that wants LW.

Any thoughts? Would I hang out in certain maps from 1-75 that both contain herbs and ores?

15+ Year Old Account
    Herbalism is amazing for druids imo since it is so fast. I'd definitely recommend mining/herbalism as you can farm brainlessly and very rarely need to kill any mobs (only have to when you have a mining node that is too close to a mob. You can generally herb even if a mob is nearby by just landing as far from the mob as you can while being on top of the herb, collecting it, and then flying away since you dont have to leave flight form).

Quote Originally Posted by Francis1 View Post
    I checked wowhead and apparently, Twilight Highlands is the only map that has both cata herbs and ores. So I'll be hanging out there most of the times, which I already do on my Hunter when I want to mine. I go back to Deepholm from time to time.
    Wowhead is lying to you. There are both herb and ore nodes in every zone that has either. In any case, it's extremely efficient to have both mining and herbalism on a druid, especially since you can herb while in flight form.

Herbalism serves alchemy and inscription. Skinning only serves leatherworking. Seems like there would be more demand for herbs.
    Last edited by Wizler; 2011-03-29 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Deleted
    Herb is good for a druid. you dont need to change out of flightform to pick em up making herbalism very fast (or you could in wrath, i dropped herblism for alch at cata on my druid). Theirs also an addon which switches from mineing/herb nodes every 0.5 secs or somthing just as fast which means you never miss a mine or herb, will have a look in my addons to see which 1 it is.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snakecatcher View Post
    Theirs also an addon which switches from mineing/herb nodes every 0.5 secs or somthing just as fast which means you never miss a mine or herb, will have a look in my addons to see which 1 it is.
    You can track both at the same time for quite a while now... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Thetalisker View Post
    You can track both at the same time for quite a while now... ;-)
    The stuff people don't know really is quite amazing, isn't it?

OP: Herbalism will be much more valuable than skinning in the long run. Also, all zones have both mines AND herbs. Sure, some zones are better than others, but there are no zones that only have one or the other. If you're worried about the difficulty of leveling either mining or herbing, don't be. They are both extremely easy to level, especially once you get a flying mount (and better yet, epic flying).

Deleted
    Herbalism.

I switched herbing from my shammy to my druid, must say it makes a huge difference for farming herbs

Herbing all the way. So sweet on a druid, especially now that you can track both ore and herbs at once.
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 110 SPriest, Jamb: 110 Blood DK, Jambori: 110 Prot. Warrior,Jambro: 110 Frost Mage, etc.

Herbing, especially if you're a Tauren. I want to punch Taurens whenever I farm on my druid

Deleted
    If you are taking mining for sure then take herbalism too. This is since you will be flying/running around a lot to get ores, to you will also stumble upon herbs too. If you take skinning you will end up stuck in an area killing mobs and not running around finding ores.

I say herbalism, if you are a cow, then you are stupid not to take herbalism.