Poll: Which portrayed future is closest to reality?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The future closest to reality

The title may be misleading but i couldn't think of something better.
    The future is depicted in so many different ways, in books, movies, TV series it's only logical to assume that some may be closer to reality than fiction.
    So based on your knowledge, imagination preferences and personal feelings what media do you think portrayed the best possible future?

Forgot to add Dead Space to the poll
    * more edits
    How about futurama?

More options chosen by fellow posters
    - Waterworld
    - Starship Troopers
    - Minority Report
    - Judge Dredd
    - Warhammer 40k
    - Idiocracy
    Last edited by mmocb2d4e83f73; 2011-03-31 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Because i'm awesome

Deleted
    first.

it will be like fallout for sure, too much war and nuclear shit at the moment.

Fallout here.

waterworld...

Nah okay the thought that the future is goig to develop as ANY writer of fiction has it has already been proven a wrong way to look at things as we arent all going round in flying cars, we havent got space stations on the moon.. we arent all rich, disease hasnt been wiped out.. nor famine etc.. We are not on the way for an apocalypse of sorts from any location. We arent developing any zombie creating viruses, we arent doing any of the stupid stuff that is attributed to human greed.

The future is going to go the sae as we are now but with fancier toys.. I think Minority report is a good way to look at what could be coming minus the people who see the future. Maybe even irobot.. they are pretty good examples of "same shit different time" sort of thing.

Deleted
    Oh! i remember waterworld

Quote Originally Posted by katsumo View Post
    first.

it will be like fallout for sure, too much war and nuclear shit at the moment.
    Too closely regulated by independant bodies to actually devolve that far. Nuclear weapons just won't get used, why launch 10 nukes when you know that you'll get 20 sent back. Waterworld is also unfeasable as there just isn't that much water on earth. I believe it's something like a 10m rise in sea level if every bit of ice melted.

I do see an increase in middle eastern conflict though. Resources like oil will dry up, western countries will turn to renuable enery, ME countries will fear their economies collapsing and attempt to capture resources from nearby countries.

My personal hope is Starship Troopers, militaristic government ftw!
    Last edited by Wonderboy; 2011-03-31 at 01:28 PM.

Deleted
    I'm afraid it's Fallout, right now.

But i'm still hoping for a Star Trek kind of future. No capitalism, no poverty...

Deleted
    AH i forgot to add Dead Space to the poll....

Minority Report... yep im quite the optimist

I think that the future will be between Star Wars and Fallout. If things go wrong, we'll have a Fallout future and if things stay the same and we keep on pushing forward on new technology, we'll be in a future in which it will be possible to live in the outer space !

15+ Year Old Account
    In terms of political/social development? Mass Effect. But since all of the space travel stuff depends on the event that we find some long lost civilisation's remnants on Mars...that probably won't happen.

So for technological I'd probably go for Deus Ex.

Deleted
    Starcraft - Tyranny vs. Freedom

Seeing as the Fallout franchise is set in a completely different timeline, I don't know how you would draw any parallels to the modern world. Dropping nukes =! Fallout.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of the above:

Intelligent life may be very rare, but even if we do find it, the life in which we encounter will look nothing like Star Wars, mass effect or anything of those other scifi series.

For one, those scifi series love to depict aliens as bipedal which would in all realism is completely inaccurate. It is known by paeleontologists and scientists that bipedalism is not at all related to brain development or intelligence. Bipedalism is really a freak accident in evolution just as intelligence is but one doesnt come after the other. For example, t rex-bipedal-very dump lizard.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2011-03-31 at 02:03 PM.

Deleted
    I'll throw some daleks and Hanar at you. And the Goa'uld say hi

Judge Dread kinda world i imagine

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    None of the above:

Intelligent life may be very rare, but even if we do find it, the life in which we encounter will look nothing like Star Wars, mass effect or anything of those other scifi series.

For one, those scifi series love to depict aliens as bipedal which would in all realism is completely inaccurate. It is known by paeleontologists and scientists that bipedalism is not at all related to brain development or intelligence. Bipedalism is really a freak accident in evolution just as intelligence is but one doesnt come after the other. For example, t rex-bipedal-very dump lizard.
    Yeah....i have sometimes the feeling that we are the only "intelligent" specy in our galaxy and far beyond.....
    If you fishing for hours at the same place and you become confident that everything is fine and safe, its will mean one thing; You are wrong. Because i was actually sitting near of you for hours, cloaked in the shadow with a smile on my face and my daggers ready to strike. I did it many time before. I will do it again.....and again......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanardam View Post
    Yeah....i have sometimes the feeling that we are the only "intelligent" specy in our galaxy and far beyond.....
    There was a time when Carl Sagan and other scientists were absolutely sure that something around 300billion intelligent civilizations existed in our galaxy alone. As better mathematicians came along to look at their spotty job at the math, those numbers began to decrease dramatically.

One of the quickest ways to learn about life in the universe is to study it here on earth. We know intelligent life exist here, so we have to assume that the same condition would have to take place out there. As we have learned more about human development, we have discovered that intelligence itself is an accident that takes very rare, extreme conditions to replicate.

We will, no doubt, find life out in there but it might not be intelligent. Intelligent life surely does exist but may be so rare to never find one another. All of that doesnt matter though because, if it is so rare, by the time we realize we are very lonely in the galaxy in the intelligence category, you would find dozens of different human species popping up from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    There was a time when Carl Sagan and other scientists were absolutely sure that something around 300billion intelligent civilizations existed in our galaxy alone. As better mathematicians came along to look at their spotty job at the math, those numbers began to decrease dramatically.

One of the quickest ways to learn about life in the universe is to study it here on earth. We know intelligent life exist here, so we have to assume that the same condition would have to take place out there. As we have learned more about human development, we have discovered that intelligence itself is an accident that takes very rare, extreme conditions to replicate.

We will, no doubt, find life out in there but it might not be intelligent. Intelligent life surely does exist but may be so rare to never find one another. All of that doesnt matter though because, if it is so rare, by the time we realize we are very lonely in the galaxy in the intelligence category, you would find dozens of different human species popping up from us.

Deleted
    I think something like a really quick transport should be possible in one way or another! Stargate ftw!