Holy issues in Heroics.

Hey Y'all. Whilst taking a break from raiding on my main character, I decided to play my priest in PvE for a little.

However, having some issues with everything really. I'm not particularly new to healing, did it here and there since Classic. However, it's proving difficult for me to keep up. I struggle to keep the group at a steady HP level. My throughput on the tank is weak unless I start popping GH at which point my mana disappears.

Basically I'm looking for some hints and tips to help me out. What heals to use when, what Chakra stay to stick with, what not to use.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hebum/advanced

Admittedly my gear is crap, and I know PvP stuff in PvE I hate it when I see it, but it's where I'm at until I can master heroics a little better. I've reforged Haste to Mastery, and anything else to Spirit. Also need to fix my gems here and there. Little short of gold (never really mastered the whole gold making thing :/)

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanksssssss.
    Owning horrid India customer service since 1989. DELL - PAYPAL - EA

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest suggestion would be to run normals until you can replace that PvP gear first. At least most of it. I know you can find gear better itemized in normals. Once you've replaced the gear, I'd suggest enchanting it. I know you say you're a little short on gold, but really, you can go back and do questing in areas you skipped for gold.

For a weapon, I suggest doing Twilight Highlands Crucible of Carnage.
    For a cloak, you can get the one from Honored with Hyjal rep.
    You can get a really nice chest piece from HoO.
    Bracers are tough...
    Ring from Honored with Tol'vir people

I'm not great with talents, but the points in State of Mind could be put elsewhere.

Good luck.
    This passion is a plagiarism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IGOTRIPPEDINFOURWEEKS View Post
    Hey Y'all. Whilst taking a break from raiding on my main character, I decided to play my priest in PvE for a little.

However, having some issues with everything really. I'm not particularly new to healing, did it here and there since Classic. However, it's proving difficult for me to keep up. I struggle to keep the group at a steady HP level. My throughput on the tank is weak unless I start popping GH at which point my mana disappears.

Basically I'm looking for some hints and tips to help me out. What heals to use when, what Chakra stay to stick with, what not to use.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hebum/advanced

Admittedly my gear is crap, and I know PvP stuff in PvE I hate it when I see it, but it's where I'm at until I can master heroics a little better. I've reforged Haste to Mastery, and anything else to Spirit. Also need to fix my gems here and there. Little short of gold (never really mastered the whole gold making thing :/)

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanksssssss.
    Honestly Disc is far better for HC healing than holy is. Holy is very reactive, without a lot of burst that is useful on 5 mans, but disc you get shield from PoH, smite spam is great for mana conservation, evangelism really helps out when healing gets tough. Whole list of things really. Holy is good but you need to be able to switch from tank healing to group healing fast and if you are locked into a chakra that can be hard to do. Disc has loads of tools that are great for the 5 man environment but holy not so much. Holy is a beast for sustained raid healing, not 5 mans. That being said if you wanted tips on how to play holy in 5 mans id be happy to help, but my suggestion would be hit up disc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, If you can't handle it with pvp gear just run normals until you replace enough to look like a pve player :s

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredhitchcock View Post
    Honestly Disc is far better for HC healing than holy is. Holy is very reactive, without a lot of burst that is useful on 5 mans, but disc you get shield from PoH, smite spam is great for mana conservation, evangelism really helps out when healing gets tough. Whole list of things really. Holy is good but you need to be able to switch from tank healing to group healing fast and if you are locked into a chakra that can be hard to do. Disc has loads of tools that are great for the 5 man environment but holy not so much. Holy is a beast for sustained raid healing, not 5 mans. That being said if you wanted tips on how to play holy in 5 mans id be happy to help, but my suggestion would be hit up disc.
    What kinda Disc options should I go with? Same kinda stat priorities? I seem to remember Disc wanting more Haste rather than Spirit. Spec into atonement? Or just save smite for when I need mana?

Hit me up with some Disc hints if you can bro

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly dont go disc before you got at least Itemlevel 333. Disc scales alot with Int, if you dont got that much int smitespamm isnt much viable cause it costs a ton of mana. At a certain breakpoint you get more mana than you invested via Archangel. Also Rupture got that breakpoint, before that you wont get as much mana back as your shild costs.

But if you will try it anyway go ahead.. i did it my self and found myself struggeling at first. The healing is indeed more potent as Holy imo. To solf the manaproblem specc into Mental agility and use inner will. This realy helps.
    I smite often if i know there will come AOE damage. I pop AA to push PoH and its DA. Smite "can" replace Heal at that breakpoint mentioned above. If you smite dont forget the Hitglyphe.

Disc got a other stat prio than Holy.
    I do it like this: Int>>>>>>Spirit>crit=Mastery>haste

there is a ongoing discussion wether crit or mastery is better. i think both are quite even pre Raid but crit benefits more Spells so maybe krit>mastery. I dont know.
    Last edited by Uriel; 2011-03-31 at 10:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IGOTRIPPEDINFOURWEEKS View Post
    What kinda Disc options should I go with? Same kinda stat priorities? I seem to remember Disc wanting more Haste rather than Spirit. Spec into atonement? Or just save smite for when I need mana?

Hit me up with some Disc hints if you can bro

Spec into this

As for the way you have been gearing, it's perfect for disc. Mastery over haste is a very reliable way to approach heroics. Your regen is fine, just don't be afraid to ask for groups to wait before chain pulling (this is happening quite often now, it appears people forget very quickly). Youll want to macro your fiend (handy macros below) as well to make sure he goes on target, and if you can time your fiend and mana hymn together for the maximum benefit then even better.

Smiting when there isn't a lot of damage coming out is pretty essential. Basically, you want to keep evangelism up as much as possible and surprise surprise, it's cooldown corresponds very weirdly to mechanics in most raid encounters. So I open with smite, get 5 stacks and pop evangelism, then big raid damage comes in and the extra 15% saves lives. Same in heroics, most of the time you will have evangelism up when you need it, and if you are having trouble getting it up then don't be afraid to use it on 3-4 stacks either. Do it all the time as it gives you mana back, so even on trash mobs spam smite.

For me healing in HCs is currently a lol, I can heal the whole thing with shields, attonement and PoM. You'll need to use Prayer of Healing loads I imagine, but when you do pop a shield before you cast it so you get good use out of borrowed time. As disc you won't be casting heal at all, as down phases youll be smiting as much as possible instead. Flash heal is a life saver, remeber though to think if the life needs saving. Loads of DPS are thick these days (still) so if they take a ton of avoidable damage, don't heal them. Let them die and use the mana you'd have spent on keeping him up on the guys that need the healing ^^. This is possibly the most efficient way to save mana.

Keybind life grip. Use it to help out tards.

MACROS:

Shadowfiend - this macro exists because sfiends are dumb and stupid, most of the time when you summon them they will actually stand there like "but you arent attacking anything lol". This macro fixes that. You need to spam it about 3 times to get it to shadowcrawl.

#showtooltip Shadowfiend
    /cast [nopet] Shadowfiend
    /petattack
    /cast Shadowcrawl

Mouseover - these macros are great in combination with clique and grid, honestly get them if you want to have the easiest time ever.

#showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover] insertspellname

EG

#showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover] Prayer of Healing

Lightwell / Barrier - great abilities but some people are stupid so you need to macro these to an emote / shout. Mine is like below, but put in whatever you want.

#showtooltip
    /cast Lightwell
    /yell Click on me if you want to live!
    /emote has put down a lightwell! Click it if you aren't a tard!

#showtooltip
    /cast Power Word: Barrier
    /yell Run!
    /yell Get to the choppa!
    /emote has put down a Barrier! Get under it!

Hmm think I have covered everything. Let me know if there is anything else you need ^^

allupinthis

---------- Post added 2011-03-31 at 11:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    honestly dont go disc before you got at least Itemlevel 333. Disc scales alot with Int, if you dont got that much int smitespamm isnt much viable cause it costs a ton of mana. At a certain breakpoint you get more mana than you invested via Archangel. Also Rupture got that breakpoint, before that you wont get as much mana back as your shild costs.

But if you will try it anyway go ahead.. i did it my self and found myself struggeling at first. The healing is indeed more potent as Holy imo. To solf the manaproblem specc into Mental agility and use inner will. This realy helps.
    I smite often if i know there will come AOE damage. I pop AA to push PoH and its DA. Smite "can" replace Heal at that breakpoint mentioned above. If you smite dont forget the Hitglyphe.

Disc got a other stat prio than Holy.
    I do it like this: Int>>>>>>Spirit>crit=Mastery>haste

there is a ongoing discussion wether crit or mastery is better. i think both are quite even pre Raid but crit benefits more Spells so maybe krit>mastery. I dont know.

Mastery is ahead of crit for heroic raiding. Especially when you consider crits don't affect PW:S which is your main ability as a disc priest in heroic raids (pre shield one camp like a boss for each raid damage). Plus you get enough crit passively anyway from int, i think im on about 19% currently as disc. The other benefit is you can duel spec going for mastery, like i'm holy / disc and swap out one piece of haste gear for the 12.5% haste renew plateau when going renew but apart from that all my gear is the same.

You should never be out of inner fire also, that is a given. Inner will might save you some mana, but you save more mana from the absorbs the extra 560 odd spellpower gives you. The throughput difference is also massive, and if you get in a shit situation then inner fire is going to help your throughput more than inner will.

10+ Year Old Account
    The internet where I am is way too slow to go to armory, so I'll give some general advice.
    - Get Spirit on (almost) every piece. Pretty much all of our regen comes from Spirit.
    - Use Heal as much as possible, weaving in Holy Word: Serenity. Use Greater Heal if needed, refrain from using Flash Heal. Keep Renew on the tank (easy enough in Serenity). If 3 or more people are hurt: Prayer of Healing
    - If you're having troubles, inform your group and ask for CC.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    It's easy as crap. Stay in chakra: serenity at all times, keep renew rolling on the tank, use serenity on cooldown on the tank, spam heal at all times. If tank goes down below 50%, use two flash heals and one greater heal, then immediately go back to heal spam.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Alfred:
    I am not talking about Raids neither did the OP. He has trouble healing 5 man heroics not raid heroics. I know mastery is very good in higher tiers but pre Raid i think crit is slightly abhead as you dont have that much int/crit. He refers to manaproblems due to GH spamming. You agree that disc does more healing so he doesnt have to use GH that much. To flatten the manacosts more inner will is a excelent option, because it saves tons of mana. He may switch to inner fire if he thinks he gets well with his Mana for extra healing.
    Crits does affect PW:S but not in a direct way. If PW:S is glyphed the healing done by casting it can crit and trigger DA however. As i said there is a ongoing discussion wheter crit or mastery is best.. and every week with every hotfixe this changes.Even the Elitejerks or ensidia or other theorycrafter are unsure what to favor. So the Difference cant be that great, at least in 5 mans. I consider both as even pre raid.
    Maybe you should read the entire posting before giving halfminded advice
    Last edited by Uriel; 2011-04-01 at 10:42 AM.

Well I've switched to Disc for a little while combined the advice here with a some from a high end priest I happen to know. It's a bit steadier in 5 mans as far as healing goes. Mana is still a little weak. Often find myself around 60% after a reasonably simple trash pack. I think that's gear related though. With quite a few pieces having little to no spirit.

Thanks for all the advice though, any more is welcomed. Be it Holy/Disc
    <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    @Alfred:
    I am not talking about Raids neither did the OP. He has trouble healing 5 man heroics not raid heroics. I know mastery is very good in higher tiers but pre Raid i think crit is slightly abhead as you dont have that much int/crit. He refers to manaproblems due to GH spamming. You agree that disc does more healing so he doesnt have to use GH that much. To flatten the manacosts more inner will is a excelent option, because it saves tons of mana. He may switch to inner fire if he thinks he gets well with his Mana for extra healing.
    Crits does affect PW:S but not in a direct way. If PW:S is glyphed the healing done by casting it can crit and trigger DA however. As i said there is a ongoing discussion wheter crit or mastery is best.. and every week with every hotfixe this changes.Even the Elitejerks or ensidia or other theorycrafter are unsure what to favor. So the Difference cant be that great, at least in 5 mans. I consider both as even pre raid.
    Maybe you should read the entire posting before giving halfminded advice

Thanks, but as the OP said he has already gone for mastery and had very little gold so it makes sense to not go for crit. Inner will saves mana on PW:S and PoM, the rest of the time it saves nothing and actually the throughput he gets from inner fire is more beneficial for mana than inner will. more throughput = less healing required, which is a mana saving combined with more survivability. I don't see what you don't get about that. Also, the PW:S glyph is bad for normal heroics as it heals for such a small amount and the other glyphs provide greater throughput at times you need it, such as barrier and flash heal. DA is triggered 100% by PoH also, so really the argument "but it triggers DA lol" is a non-thing. Asking a player who is clearly new to being a priest to switch from one state to the other is asking too much. I can guarantee he would forget to switch back or just get confused so staying in inner fire is the best.

I like that you took the time to reply to my post, however next time if you could do so without sounding like a smug, self-righteous individual then that would be great. I would like to add that "hotfixes" haven't changed any statistical values so far this expansion, so that is complete nonsense. Also the "theorycrafters" at elitist jerks (one of whom is myself) are firmly of the opinion that mastery is ahead of crit. At heroic dungeon levels sure, it's about equal, but why go for a stat you're gong to be getting rid of as you progress through raiding anyway when it actually is no better, especially if you are low on gold (as the OP stated).

Maybe you should learn to do your own thinking, rather than trying to come out as "better" on a thread and post what you thought you saw on some theorycrafting sites to try and make yourself look more knowledgeable about the priest class? I'm going to bet your guild is 2-3 out of 13 heroic maybe at most. Don't get condescending because you "think" you know better, it makes you look like an idiot to be honest.

Holy Issues in Heroics Batman!