Damn it feels good to be a tailor

See what I did there?

Anyways, I just hit 85 on my Mage alt and his tailoring just hit 525 and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or guides or secrets on making money with the profession since I will be spending quite some time on him in the near future.

This is, aside from dreamcloths on cd and epics.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Orbs, orbs and more orbs, that's where the gold is right now. Sadly dreamcloth isn't worth what it once was, but you can do a lot of good things with orbs, and dream made from cheap violates water and life seem to be cheapest on my server, i'm sure you know which is cheapest on yours.

Good luck to you sir.

Misleading title. You won't feel so gangstah about your 525 tailoring once you realize it's trash for making money.

Probably the worst profit/orb profession in the game. *5* orbs for 1 dreamcloth that is worth ~500-600g (on my server).

Get all the cloth trader Fireweave/Emberfire recipes, they have some okay profit, but don't expect to sell them in any kind of decent volume.

I feel pretty gangster having the best back enchant in the game though. I leveled it up on my mage even though I have 525 and all the patterns on my priest. I only intended to get up to 500 for Lightweave but since I get so much cloth from quest mobs and a daily heroic, I just finished it up. Now I have a use for all the Chaos Orbs I've greeded over these last few months, and eventually I'll have a nice stable of Illusionary Bags if I decide not to make any of the other TH vendor items.

/gangster

Deleted
    I'm with Krimson. The enchants are good but making money with tailoring is quite hard. Personally, I just make cloth stacks into bolts and sell at the AH. On my realm, a 20 stack gives about 300g. Pretty ok considering I get the cloth from raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndam View Post
    stock up on orbs even when you don't need them

most of your profit will be from orbs

advertise a lot
    Noob question: What is made with orbs, other than dream of destruction (dreamcloth) ?

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm not mistaken, things like purple legs/belts that will sell on the AH from like 4-9k (depending on your server).

Quote Originally Posted by baelon View Post
    Noob question: What is made with orbs, other than dream of destruction (dreamcloth) ?
    jack and squat.
    'Cause what the world needs now
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing, well nothing usefull anyway. There is 1 useless robe that requires orbs to make, no stats or anything.

I sell the spellthreads personally for profit.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Nothing, well nothing usefull anyway. There is 1 useless robe that requires orbs to make, no stats or anything.

I sell the spellthreads personally for profit.
    That's what I thought, which is why I was curious why someone said to hoard orbs. My tailor is an alt I don't play much, so I figured maybe there was something I was unaware of. It seems lame that at the price of items vs. how much dreamcloth they take, each orb comes out to about 75 gold for a tailor. Compared to hundreds or even a thousand or more for my blacksmith... and for a while I could make almost 2k / orb on my eng/ench by DEing the helms.

Oh well, maybe in 4.1 they'll add something. I think I'll hang onto them for now.

ps - my banker alt wears the robe, it's pretty awesome looking imo

Deleted
    More orbs = more dreamcloth without having to buy / farm Volatiles. Plus as far as i can remember this one doesn't have the 7 day cd. (stopped bothering fullstop on my tailor, simply not worth the time / effort trying to make money with tailoring).

Tailoring sucks hard on my server. The epic pants have gone down 2k in the last three weeks because people keep undercutting each other like crazy. And belts aren't doing any better. People don't seem to realize how little profit we actually get from the profession.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've done a number of posts over at Just My Two Copper regarding this topic ( making gold with tailoring ). I'll link the top 2 posts that i find/think are relevant and that I think will help you out greatly.

http://www.justmytwocopper.org/2011/...old-guide.html

http://www.justmytwocopper.org/2011/...-nonsence.html

I cater to the underserved alt market, with everything really. I have every single tailor pattern, gem cut, enchant scroll, and alchemy recipe on the ah at all times. I don't care why you need it, these are the thing no one ever posts, but someone inevitably has a use for.

I do well with the progression level items but I do equally good with everything else. While everyone else is focused on embersilk stuff I'm selling the heck out of lvl 60 rares and epics. Not glamorous but most people don't give it any attention.

Still, tailoring is far and away the least profitable of the 4.