Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Basic custom build for wow

I would like to know what a base build would look like to play wow on ultra settings

Thanks

Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    People are actually quoting my stuff, cool. Yeah, that has the current money/performance factor that a lot of people are taking advantage of now. Cheaper systems could be made to run WoW on ultra, but that one has longevity and newer parts, which means it will become out of date later.

If you for some reason don't like the provided info above (you should), you ought to provide information, such as, budget, resolution and space around your desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    People are actually quoting my stuff, cool. Yeah, that has the current money/performance factor that a lot of people are taking advantage of now. Cheaper systems could be made to run WoW on ultra, but that one has longevity and newer parts, which means it will become out of date later.
    Yep, if you have money to spend, it's definitely really well balanced gaming setup for today without any big bottlenecks or overkills.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Thanks for the help guys, its very appreciated. the set up seems really nice and i will probably be looking into getting it in the near future

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    We really should get that thread stickied, and you should add an i3 2100 setup to it.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    We really should get that thread stickied, and you should add an i3 2100 setup to it.
    If it gets stickied, I'll add an Enthusiast build (i7) and an Entry (i3) build to the thread. I contacted CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower to ask for the ability to create static links to price point builds, but we'll see how that goes.

^^ Very Much agreed. You can take a little time to substitute things for other parts that may be cheaper, but it depends entirely on your budget and personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer. Only fanboys will tell you that. Only true tech enthusiasts will respect your build choices and offer tips on how to get the most for your money.

An example is a build I did in 2009, that still gives me all the satisfaction as if I had purchased brand new parts yesterday. Only a few upgrades over the past 12 months, while being able to sell my older parts on ebay making up the difference and keeping my total costs for my build under $1300 USD over a 24 month period.

Case - Antec 300 Mini Tower
    Motherboard - Biostar G31E-M7 (FSB Overclock 1042.7MHZ)
    Power Supply - BFG Tech EX Series 1000w Modular
    CPU - Intel Celeron Dual Core (Wolfdale) @ 3.132GHZ (Overclocked from 2.4GHZ)
    Memory - 4GB GSkill Pi Series DDR2800 @ 1042.7MHZ
    Video - PNY GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5
    Drives - WD Caviar Blue 320GB / WD250GB External for backups

Optical - LG Super Multi DVD/RW w Lightscribe and all that junk
    Lite On 4x Blu-Ray Drive
    Monitor - LG Flatron W2340VG 23 inch LCD Display (@ 1920x1080 Native Resolution)
    Keyboard - Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse - Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse

Audio - Plantronics Audio 646 DSP Headset
    Creative SBS340 2.1 Stereo Speaker System (2 Front Panels and 1 Subwoofer) - Had those Creative speakers since about 2001!

On this setup I max WoW at 1920x1080 at 53-63 FPS depending on intense particle effects during only 25m raids. To put it into context, I only see less than 50 FPS on crowded 25 m raids and still doesn't drop below 40 FPS.

Last edited by Train Heartnet; 2011-04-04 at 12:16 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it gets stickied, I'll add an Enthusiast build (i7) and an Entry (i3) build to the thread. I contacted CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower to ask for the ability to create static links to price point builds, but we'll see how that goes.
    No reason to do an i7 setup until the LGA2011 platform or Zambezi come out imo. At least on a WoW site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    No reason to do an i7 setup until the LGA2011 platform or Zambezi come out imo. At least on a WoW site.
    Meh, I like making computer builds.

Actually if it isn't too bothersome would anyone be able to recommend a site like ibuypower that offers a lay-away option possibly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    Actually if it isn't too bothersome would anyone be able to recommend a site like ibuypower that offers a lay-away option possibly?
    If you were to use a website like that, It'd cost slightly more, and you'd be missing a few parts from the build. (Most notably, I was unable to find the Case, CPU cooler, PSU, GPU, and RAM on CyberPowerPC.)

15+ Year Old Account
    I know the Wolfdales were mighty powerful, but they just don't bring in the numbers like they used to.
    One of our guilds backup tanks still runs an E8400 and gets close the same performance I get on my 1090T (Some exceptions obviously). Wolfdales are still very strong in WoW.

Any chance any of yall could answer the OP's question again, but this time in reference to a laptop? Being in college right now, I cannot justify buying a desktop :/

Quote Originally Posted by Avenn View Post
    Any chance any of yall could answer the OP's question again, but this time in reference to a laptop? Being in college right now, I cannot justify buying a desktop :/
    Budget, size, what else will you use it for?

Apologies in advance if I answer incorrectly,

Budget: $1000, but will go up to 1500.

Size: My current laptop is 17'' so I would prefer something smaller or at the same size.

uses: Gaming and schoolwork. Decent batterly life(and mobility) would be a nice bonus but not a necessity.

If this is not clear I'm sorry or if additional info is needed I will try my best. Thank you for helping a complete scrub when it comes to computers

My current laptop is a toshiba satellite- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5450,1.66GHz, 2gb ram, and two 110 gb hard disk drives. Graphics card is GeForce 8700M GT

Quote Originally Posted by Avenn View Post
    Apologies in advance if I answer incorrectly,

Budget: $1000, but will go up to 1500.

Size: My current laptop is 17'' so I would prefer something smaller or at the same size.

uses: Gaming and schoolwork. Decent batterly life(and mobility) would be a nice bonus but not a necessity.

If this is not clear I'm sorry or if additional info is needed I will try my best. Thank you for helping a complete scrub when it comes to computers

My current laptop is a toshiba satellite- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5450,1.66GHz, 2gb ram, and two 110 gb hard disk drives. Graphics card is GeForce 8700M GT
    I'd advice you to look into either these brands
    * ASUS G53/G73-series.
    * MSI GT/GX 660/663/740
    Custom-built computer-sites are a good idea, as well.

In general, you want something with a processor named either i5-2410 or i7-2630, but an i5-460/480 will do, even though it's last generation and not adviced.
    As for graphics-card, anything from the first three columns are considered gaming-cards.
    It's really hard, because not only are there hundreds of models, but each model is having different hardware. -_-'
    You also want 4GB RAM, at least, and preferably a 7200RPM HDD. But they're hard to come by, so a 5400RPM will have to.
    Sorry that I cannot be of more help. D: But I hope I've managed to narrow it down some.

Thank you for the advice! I found what I thought to be an excellent laptop in maximumPC by cyberpower, but when I went to their website it wasnt there >.> I believe it was an...xplorer x6-9600 for a thousand. i7 8gb ram, 500gb hard drive, and nvidia 5400M 2gb direct x11 video card. it looked quite nice.

Regardless, thank you for the info and taking the time to help out!

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'm very surprised if you're getting 40 FPS from a Wolfdale at max settings in raids. I was using an E8400 up until about June last year, and i do know that it was the limiting factor in fights like Sindragosa and the Lich King (due to the sheer amount of damage sources). Even my 1055T was the bottleneck against my 580. To put this in perspective, it's now the 580 which is the bottleneck. It doesn't mean performance is bad, it just means the GPU is stressed up to 80-100% more often than the CPU is.

I know the Wolfdales were mighty powerful, but they just don't bring in the numbers like they used to.
    I know they dont pack the punch that newer cpu's stack up to, but I wanted to see what I could build and maintain amazing results for the least amount of money. I'm CompTia A+, Net +, and Security + Certified, so troubleshooting and experimentation with hardware, had been one of my very strong points. Also I've been building desktops for 10 years. Alot of time goes into research on almost everything that I buy. I noticed the power I could get from overclocking a Wolfdale and exploited that. The only reason I'm not running faster than 60 FPS is solely due to me having Vsync on. And you would know that when you talk about your FPS's being over 80 etc. I didn't build that system entirely to save money. I built it to prove a point. Simply that you don't have to have the latest and greatest and most expensive systems to get the same performance as one. This system even ran the FF14 benchmark with a 3100 score, before upgrading from the BFGTech GTX260 Max Core 55 to the PNY GTX 460. There were systems with much better hardware and quad core processors that couldn't do that.

To make it simple, maybe I have a factory freak, as we say in the car world.

Its not always about what parts you have, but how you use them.

Last edited by Train Heartnet; 2011-04-04 at 12:36 AM.