Poll: Apple (iOS) vs. Android OS

iOS/Apple vs. Android OS

Even though this is about mobile devices, I believe this is the most suitable forum. Seeing as mobile devices, specifically Android devices, are becoming more and more like mobile computers as technology advances.

I recently picked up a new phone, the Motorola Atrix. Although I have not owned an iPhone, I have an iPod touch, which I assume demonstrates the core technologies that the iPhone employs. Anyways, I am simply amazed by how the Android technology blows the Apple (iOS) out of the water. If there is some significant change when it comes to iPhones, please let me know, but I simply cannot comprehend why anyone would choose Apple over Android technology. Perhaps I am biased because I hate Apple and Steve Jobs on principle, their re-releasing of products with minor improvements on a monthly basis.

Anyways, this thread is to discuss the merits of iOS (Apple) versus Android technology, specifically pertaining to mobile devices, and for someone to explain to me why in the world someone would choose the inaccessible, incompatible, flash-less iPhone over an Android OS phone such as the Motorola Atrix.
    Last edited by Zeppelin535; 2011-04-03 at 12:56 AM.

i have an ipad and members of my family have multiple iphones (from 3g all the way through iphone 4)
    i also have a samsung galaxy tab and htc with android and even tho ios is nice and all (in the looks department) i vote for android all the way!

Exactly, sure Apple products are all sleek and nice looking, but Android devices are a lot more akin to computers in terms of what you can actually do.

iOS would be the best without a shadow of doubt if not for the fact that it's riddled with a hundred different artificial restrictions that simply cripple the device in every respect.

Jailbroken iOS > Android > iOS

Probably unsurprisingly, I am an advocate of FOSS and use Linux for all my desktop computers, but I got an iPad because Android powered tablets just plain suck. All of them.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Android is going to have a problem with fragmentation eventually, you can see it if you've ever installed the Android SDK.

It's a bit of a double edged sword with both, iOS won't ever have this problem, but it's because of the closed nature of the platform, and how heavily restricted software development is for it. I'll take the fragmentation risk for the (near) freedom of the platform. Not to mention I dislike the way iOS' works in terms of interaction.
    red panda red panda red panda!

As with most Apple products; their hardware is top quality and their software, while of a good design and implementation, is restricted and often lacks functionality. I do like the iOS because it's simple to use and use properly, and works very well. But the restrictions really kill it.

I've not had a lot of experience with the Android OS and none with the new Windows mobile OS, but no doubt they have improved basic functionality while retaining the freedom of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon View Post
    iOS would be the best without a shadow of doubt if not for the fact that it's riddled with a hundred different artificial restrictions that simply cripple the device in every respect.

Jailbroken iOS > Android > iOS

Probably unsurprisingly, I am an advocate of FOSS and use Linux for all my desktop computers, but I got an iPad because Android powered tablets just plain suck. All of them.
    I agree with the first portion and it very accurately describes the problem with Apple devices. However, I am not entirely convinced that a Jailbroken iOS is superior to an Android device. However, I am not knowledgeable with the former of the two to pass judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin535 View Post
    I agree with the first portion and it very accurately describes the problem with Apple devices. However, I am not entirely convinced that a Jailbroken iOS is superior to an Android device. However, I am not knowledgeable with the former of the two to pass judgment.
    It is. Jailbroken without a doubt trumps any mobile OS on the market, the community for JB'd iOS are fantastic.

I had an Atrix and the build quality and the lagged behide OS among numerous other things made me quickly return it for my money back. Google has gotten themselves in a jam with fragmentation and dropping the whole "open"ness out the window. Seems like Google is going the way of iOS http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/g...censees-abide/
    Last edited by Panicked; 2011-04-03 at 02:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Panicked View Post
    It is. Jailbroken without a doubt trumps any mobile OS on the market, the community for JB'd iOS are fantastic.

I had an Atrix and the build quality and the lagged behide OS among numerous other things made me quickly return it for my money back. Google has gotten themselves in a jam with fragmentation and dropping the whole "open"ness out the window. Seems like Google is going the way of iOS http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/g...censees-abide/
    I don't remember the last time Motorola made a good handset tbh.

Have you tried the HTC Vision? Solid.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post

Have you tried the HTC Vision? Solid.
    Not a fan of keyboards. I'd only try a stock android phone next, too much crap on most.
    I'm probably sticking with iPhone 5 this summer. I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means, I only own one Apple product and intend to keep it that way unless iPhone 5 is awful.
    Last edited by Panicked; 2011-04-03 at 03:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak for the iOS as I've never owned anything of Apple's but a couple of older iPods. I recently changed phones (and carriers) from a Blackberry 8320 to a LG Optimus. I read that it had the latest Android OS on it and also that it's a pretty solid OS to boot. I gotta say that I absolutely love it. The market, the apps/widgets, the seemingly perfect smoothness of the OS itself, not to mention the availability of the OS over a wide selection of mobile phones (unlike Apple, which only has the iPhone), are all something that I've found myself quiet taken by.

I actually know one of my friends who has an iPhone and he kind of regrets having it, after seeing what Android is (perhaps more) capable of. I can't get over how kick-ass Google's navigation app is. Free GPS with your phone? Why the hell not? :] Can't wait to see what Gingerbread brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    I can't speak for the iOS as I've never owned anything of Apple's but a couple of older iPods. I recently changed phones (and carriers) from a Blackberry 8320 to a LG Optimus. I read that it had the latest Android OS on it and also that it's a pretty solid OS to boot. I gotta say that I absolutely love it. The market, the apps/widgets, the seemingly perfect smoothness of the OS itself, not to mention the availability of the OS over a wide selection of mobile phones (unlike Apple, which only has the iPhone), are all something that I've found myself quiet taken by.

I actually know one of my friends who has an iPhone and he kind of regrets having it, after seeing what Android is (perhaps more) capable of. I can't get over how kick-ass Google's navigation app is. Free GPS with your phone? Why the hell not? :] Can't wait to see what Gingerbread brings.
    Pretty sure it's on 2.2 "Froyo" the latest 2.3 "Gingerbread"

iOS: Done yet limited but working fine.

Droid: You've got time and skill to customize and explore.

Its like osX vs Linux
    (tough osX actually IS linux but i don't even want to go there...)
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Droid, Droid 2, Droid X.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Droid, Droid 2, Droid X.......
    Motorola Atrix as well.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Motorola Atrix as well.
    Yes, I am loving the Atrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezz View Post
    iOS: Done yet limited but working fine.

Droid: You've got time and skill to customize and explore.

Its like osX vs Linux
    (tough osX actually IS linux but i don't even want to go there...)
    Actually it's based on BSD, not Linux. While both come from UNIX roots, they're not quite the same.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Actually it's based on BSD, not Linux. While both come from UNIX roots, they're not quite the same.
    AndroidOS uses a modified Linux Kernel.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Read the very last line in what I quoted.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2