Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    No, it's like "16 and pregnant". You're probably referring to the appareance of the chicks and I'll tell you that the cast for that particular serie has chicks from all the states of that country. And they will not choose the regular looking teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortisia View Post
    You mean, that there aren't actually any Asians attending school in Anime in Japan?
    Yes, giant monsters always come out and it's up to the students who somehow have magical powers or something to stop them while trying to hide that fact from the others

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa 90D View Post
    OMG High School Music 4 ROCKS!
    You are the plague of the earth...

Deleted
    So I guess I can assume that there are no girls wearing mini-skirts in an american high-school? Or teachers that wear to tight jackets and blouses?
    Last edited by mmoc8efa32ae7c; 2011-04-03 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Litoru View Post
    About partying in a big house, why do everyone use those red cups? I mean, in every damn movie, it's red cups! Sup with the red cups!?
    I buy them whenever i through a party around my house :P it's funny

C.M.S, My favorite thing to start the morning with.

That is correct, everyone in highschool is in their mid twenties, professional dancer.
    And it goes without saying, that if the biggest nerd-girl takes off her hat and waves her hair, she will become the most popular girl in school

Deleted
    I don't think people were asking about this, Europeans simply have quite different high school experience from what you see in almost any US movie. Not regarding the age, hotness of both genders or something Glee related but the whole thing.

You seem to have a lot of "castes" as in social way - at least according to all movies and series. Nerds, jocks, poor, rich, fugly, hot etc - often some combinations. And it continues with having both male and female fraternities/sororities in college. You have a place in that small student world where you kidna belong. Not in a good way sometimes.

In Europe it just seems to me that vast majority, something like 90+ out of every hundred are just random, around average, +/-. And even those who are "abnormal", let it be to hot, too fat or too smart really dont get any shit/credit because of it. They don't group up because of it. And people don't care so much about status, as in being part of a cool group, belonging to certain sorority in college (once again, not a concept at all used here) etc.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2011-04-03 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    I don't think people were asking about this, Europeans simply have quite different high school experience from what you see in almost any US movie....
    I see.
    I went to a school with about 4,000 kids (grades 9-12), with over 800 in graduating class. In my highschool we did have cliques. There was a 'cool' table in lunchroom. There were several of those made up of people with different 'cool'. In the school where I went we had kids from different nationalities. So they would group with each other, and that would be further subdivided into cool and others. It doesn't mean that no one would mix.
    Normally the nationality would only come into place for newer immigrants. For example someone who speaks fluent Russian, but not so much English, would naturally sit with other Russian-speaking kids.
    I wouldn't imply blacks wouldn't sit with whites, just more of a language barrier, I guess, also same types of interests/challenges.

There were teams. My friend was on a wrestling team, and apparently had a groupie. He was very shy, so he kept turning her down.

I didn't see a 'fugly' category, and I don't think our school had a 'rich' category - those would more likely go to private school. Jocks would certainly sit/be friends with nerds, they would still have same classes together, so that wasn't an issue. But we didn't have any major teams, maybe it's somehow different elsewhere.

I would guess things you see in movies do happen (to a much lower degree) in places. It's probably more in places where kids don't have issues, so they need to invent some. You know what they say: Idle hands are the devil's tools
    Last edited by anywherenotes; 2011-04-03 at 12:33 PM. Reason: edited to indicate school size

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in Slovenia it is a lot like reve said.
    compared to America or even bigger EU countries schools are much smaller. Elementary school that I went in has around 250 pupils. And it is an average school. Of course everyone knows everyone or their brother/sister at least.
    High school was a bit bigger (around 1k students) but still everyone knows you by the time you are there 4 years. There are no clubs (like math or chess) but we had a school quire, but it fell apart as most people went to college.
    There are groups so to say like popular kids, nerdy ones... but in class all are friends. They will stick for one and other. And there is virtually no bullies. Yes we pick on people but they give it back as good as they get it. friend of my is a bit bigger and we would always pick on him but I am fairly small so I would get a comment on it back ("hey fat-ass" than back would come "sup midget")
    There were no house parties. Clubs are one of 2 ways to go here in Ljubljana. There is alternative known as Meta(short for street named Metelkova). Here you find alter scene. everything from punk to metal to techno. It is a place to be if you just want to hang out with like-minded friends. Get a 6pack and chill. But it is hard to get alcohol if you are minor because of the law(people still find a way to get it).
    Last edited by galimim; 2011-04-03 at 01:05 PM.
    Delu čast in oblast!
    Praise the work and give it power!

Deleted
    its odd because although i live in the UK, i went to an american sty;e high school (years9-sixth form). we seemed to have the real cliques seen in films (unlike my previous school) but the divide between them was nowhere near as large as it is in the real teen drama films, people could talk to who they wanted, they just had their own friends

Not at all, those kids actually learn something

Quote Originally Posted by Chodokal View Post
    So I guess I can assume that there are no girls wearing mini-skirts in an american high-school? Or teachers that wear to tight jackets and blouses?
    You won't find teachers doing that since they can get in trouble for that, but the vast majority of girls dress very slutty, yes.
    And to address someone else's statement about the castes; it just depends on what school you go to. In my high school of 2600 people, there is a grouping of people, but it isn't as defined and you really can just hang out with people you get along with. And I haven't seen anyone stuffed in a trash or given a swirly yet :P

Had a friend, moved to Seattle to live with her dad for a year or so, went to high school there (we don't usually call it high school here, hell our year/class naming is different than even England), when she came back we were catching up and she told me hers was pretty much exactly how the media portrays. The cliques and stuff that is, not the spontaneously breaking into song and dance or sparkly vampires stuff.

Deleted
    UK dweller myself, my highschool had close to 1,900 students (years 7 to 11 and then the 2 years of 6th form).

sure we had our own mini social groups (emos, goths, moshers, chavs, townies) but we all still used to mingle with each other and get along, if any troubles did arise between mini groups we would end up having a massive fight on a nearby field after school and after that it was problem sorted, next day we would all be friends again.

one thing i have noticed about american highschool movies is that everyone seems to be rolling around in flash motors, no idea what the legal age for driving in america is but that always suprised me, the closest we seem to get in the UK is all the chavs riding around on stolen mopeds or dirtbikes before / after school

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1282140/

Easy A is a prefect example. Especially the gossip/rumor stuff.

Or Mean Girls.

(Id have to say, they are decent chick flicks)
    Last edited by Traman; 2011-04-03 at 01:31 PM.

Well there are 2 way to portrait an american the typical is the one mentioned in above posts, the other is the one seen in Bosten public or in Dangerous Minds, Precious or in some degree World's greatest Dad.

The first is always the cliques, dance, surreal overcolored school that exsist in a bubble of its own.
    The second is the opposite the dark reality seeking but also exadurated style, with gang violence kids on drugs teachers who hate their job in crappy old gray school buildings ect.

The second is obvious much closer to how the high schools are, mind you without most of the drama that are needed to make a movie worth watching.

Deleted
    O good, highschools are a hell! A HELL OF SHINNY VAMPIRES!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by daed4 View Post
    O good, highschools are a hell! A HELL OF SHINNY VAMPIRES!
    hehe, yea i have found that straight up retarded lately, bunch of 100+ year old vampires hanging out with teens, its the ultimate pedo fest >.>

but i suppose if they are all the new shiny, good type of vampire that gets teenage girls wet just thinking about them, then i guess its alright : \

Depends on the location (income levels, etc) but the meanness and cliques are pretty accurate in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Franuki View Post
    And break out into various musical numbers.
    And everyone is a professionally trained dancer. Makes for some awesome dances.