15+ Year Old Account

Cata Gem sell prices

Has anyone else noticed that the sell price of common gems is higher (5g per/100g stack) than that of rare gems (3g per/60g stack)?
    I find this to be puzzling to say that least.

As a JCer, I think it comes down to the fact that I personally use common gems more often than rare.

The daily
    Prisms
    Making things to DE

From what I've seen monitoring our gbank and AH on US-Stormrage, I'd say that's just about the case for most other JCers as well.

Well the AH market is controlled by a lot of different players that are separated into 2 categories, the ones that know a thing or two about economy and the other ones that just put items in AH just to clear the bag. It always been like that.
    “The wise speak only of what they know.”

Uncommons vend for 9g. Rares vend for 3.75g. There's no puzzle!

Commons are simply more useful, as Bal mentioned. Three of each kind are also needed to make the meta gems.

I think it mostly has to do with the vendor prices, as stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambyt View Post
    Well the AH market is controlled by a lot of different players that are separated into 2 categories, the ones that know a thing or two about economy and the other ones that just put items in AH just to clear the bag. It always been like that.
    I think he is actually talking about VENDOR prices of these gems, not the price people list them @ AH.

The only reasons I see for it is: 1) controlling the price of cata ores, 2) inflating the gold supply, 3) just a mistake

Yeah everyone has the sentiment figured out here already. Basically Uncommon gems no one is using. A lot of people aren't taking gemming as serious at the moment. Even in WOTLK a lot of people didn't do much in the gem market until the new ones came. The biggest thing is that Jewelcrafters flood the hell out of the market. Everyone is trying to do the obsidium shuffle and they think they found a great way to make gold--the problem is that 20 others on every server are doing the exact same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Airath View Post
    I think he is actually talking about VENDOR prices of these gems, not the price people list them @ AH.

The only reasons I see for it is: 1) controlling the price of cata ores, 2) inflating the gold supply, 3) just a mistake

it directly relates to what price people put them up on the AH. If the average price was 5g for random uncut uncommon and the sell price was 9g for a cut version of it, dont you think the price would eventually rise to 9g+

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomOfMandos View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the sell price of common gems is higher (5g per/100g stack) than that of rare gems (3g per/60g stack)?
    I find this to be puzzling to say that least.
    Lol if either of those prices were right, any JCer could buy them all, cut, and vendor to make profits... But yeah I know what you're talking about as commons are ~9g while blue/green/yellow rares are often ~4-5g, but this has to do with vendor price since like I said any JCer can buy any cheaper uncommons, cut them, and vendor (really easy if you use an addon like scrap to one click sell all) for 9g, where blue's only vendor for 3g 75s cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Nume View Post
    Lol if either of those prices were right, any JCer could buy them all, cut, and vendor to make profits... But yeah I know what you're talking about as commons are ~9g while blue/green/yellow rares are often ~4-5g, but this has to do with vendor price since like I said any JCer can buy any cheaper uncommons, cut them, and vendor (really easy if you use an addon like scrap to one click sell all) for 9g, where blue's only vendor for 3g 75s cut.
    For now, seems on the PTR the uncommons are now 75s... I mean, really? having hard enough time making money if I don't get an inferno ruby from a stack as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Majyqman View Post
    For now, seems on the PTR the uncommons are now 75s... I mean, really? having hard enough time making money if I don't get an inferno ruby from a stack as it is.
    I hear you. It's utter bullshit. Selling them to a vendor was pretty much my main income. Amberjewels and Dream Emeralds suck too, get way too many as well.

looks like they're fixing this judging by the front page.