The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Help me find a good PCIe USB3.0 card!

I'm thinking about getting a PCIe USB3.0 (probably just 2 ports because there only seem to be 1 and 2 versions).... I'd like to know which you guys really like. I was hoping there would be like an Asus brand or Corsair or something, nope, didn't find any on newegg. The only 2 that had any decent amount of customer feedback reviews were Rosewill and some SIIG brand.... I've heard less than savory things about Rosewill and I don't know who SIIG is. Any ideas?

---------- Post added 2011-04-04 at 04:37 PM ----------

Anyone like USB3.0 or are we all still living in 2.0 land? :<

My P8P67 mobo only has 2 USB 3.0 ports. =S
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2011-04-04 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Make title more inviting. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    USB 3 devices are extremely limited (and old 2.0, 1.1, and 1.0 devices obviously don't benefit from the upgrade) - and large storage devices prefer eSATA anyway; so any particular reason you need more USB3 ports at this time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    USB 3 devices are extremely limited (and old 2.0, 1.1, and 1.0 devices obviously don't benefit from the upgrade) - and large storage devices prefer eSATA anyway; so any particular reason you need more USB3 ports at this time?
    I'd like to plug anything that uses a USB cable, into a 3.0. Mouse, keyboard, webcam, etc. Plugging phones in to retrieve data, cameras, etc.

Guess I'll opt to look into eSata too, thanks for the heads up.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'd like to plug anything that uses a USB cable, into a 3.0. Mouse, keyboard, webcam, etc. Plugging phones in to retrieve data, cameras, etc.
    All those basically are 2.0 though; and really you're better off just using existing ports for that - assuming the problem you're having isn't a port shortage. (Though I've got hubs a little everywhere nowadays, one in the monitor, two powered 2.0 ports in the keyboard, a standalone hub... i need to sort that shit out...)

If port shortage is an issue - perhaps a standard hub instead might be of interest. (Still can't help you though)

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a HAF X case, I gotta use those expansion bays for something! XD

Yeah I see your point though, thanks for the posts.
    "A flower.

The keyboard and mouse don't even do anything past USB 1.1, they might be specced USB 2.0, but they sure as hell can't use the bandwidth. But Dark is right, even with USB 3.0, a drive will still work better on eSATA due to the way USB works.

Also if you use your keyboard for BIOS stuff, you won't be able to if it's plugged into a 3.0 Card. Won't work with most Motherboard implemented 3.0 Chips either. Mine included.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    The keyboard and mouse don't even do anything past USB 1.1, they might be specced USB 2.0, but they sure as hell can't use the bandwidth. But Dark is right, even with USB 3.0, a drive will still work better on eSATA due to the way USB works.

Also if you use your keyboard for BIOS stuff, you won't be able to if it's plugged into a 3.0 Card. Won't work with most Motherboard implemented 3.0 Chips either. Mine included.
    Now there is something I didn't know, thanks for that tidbit of info. Though I do have an Asus P8P67 mobo so it has the UEFI BIOS that uses the mouse.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Now there is something I didn't know, thanks for that tidbit of info. Though I do have an Asus P8P67 mobo so it has the UEFI BIOS that uses the mouse.
    Send it to me and get one with more USB 3.0 ports. /nod Seriously though, there's about 3 things on the market that can even remotely take advantage of USB 3.0, and all of them can be sped up through eSATA. (Which should be outlawed. External storage? WTS Hot Swap Drive bays.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Send it to me and get one with more USB 3.0 ports. /nod Seriously though, there's about 3 things on the market that can even remotely take advantage of USB 3.0, and all of them can be sped up through eSATA. (Which should be outlawed. External storage? WTS Hot Swap Drive bays.)
    God I still remember those beige color things with that handle you pull out slightly to nudge the drive out, complete with circular keys.

I think i have 2 more usb 3.0 plugs then you /flex(got the p8p67 deluxe). Guess how many i use, 0.

I dont think theres much out right now that really uses them