H: Maloriak - Some problems

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0ocjdw0aoyd7b5xz/

This is our logs from last night - We were trying a 3 tank setup a few days ago but decided to do 2 tanks recently, I personally have already swapped to Arms to help deal with adds better (normally SMF fury [I was SMF last night] - also i'm usually the Tank on boss when we do 3 tanks).

I'm hearing from some of my raiders that we need 20k dps each person to down this boss, and I'm not seeing that in other logs I've perused.

Last night we were able to get a full cycle twice but mostly fell apart on green phases just not having enough dps to push it over (deaths/stupidity I dunno)

We have 1 undergeared app (Snack) and a older raider who came into help but hasn't raided since cata came out (Arcane) with us having some recruitment issues atm, so there is that but we're actively working to fix it.

Just hoping someone could take a look and give me some more feedback on the fight/log about things we can adjust.

On Black phase we were able to get 3 down usually and 2 were around 10% or lower - by luck? (maybe) we had frost phase each time so cleaning up the adds before we had to stack was relatively easy. Is there something we're missing? I'll keep tabs on this and respond as best I can - flame if you want but we just want to get better at this.
    Last edited by Steakums; 2011-04-04 at 04:51 PM.
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

"Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking"

I would suggest you try to find a demo lock. Maybe some geared enough lock didn't raid with his guild this week and wants to try H Mal (fixt)? They are stupidly amazing in the green phase.

Also, did you say you had someone spec arcane? By going fire that guy can do the second best DPS to the adds in the green phase (after a demo lock). Have him proc Impact off the adds (may be even before the green phase begins), and try to fish out for a good ignite on a target affected by the green debuff, so he can combust and spread the DoTs (with a good luck it would be 30k DPS combustions ticking on every mob).

Edit: Just looked at your log. OMG have all 3 of your locks go demo and top the friggin' charts! Geez.
    Last edited by Mercadi; 2011-04-04 at 04:59 PM.

Far as I know Entah and Taquito are both Demo or have demo spec's but I will mention it to them.

And no the guys name is arcanemagus (thou he is arcane spec) he normally isn't a raider, just was helping out last night.
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

Judging by the logs none of them are demo.

Taquito is affliction, Entah is affliction and Snack is destro. Those specs don't provide anything unique to the raid. Your unholy DKs can spread their CoE-like debuff that increases magic damage taken by all adds.

Deleted
    I assume you're 7 healing 2 tanking yes? If you have the DPS to get all the vile swills dead before black phase ends, then you have the DPS to do the fight, so aim for that.

A few notes:
    - Reset the fight if you don't get aberrations at the start. You want each black phase to be 5 swills and 3 aberrations (that means letting 1 aberration cast through on green so that you can have 3 aberration for the 2nd black phase as well).
    - Have any dot classes get off boss and pre-dot the 6 active aberration ~10 seconds before green phase starts. As soon as green starts those dots will all kick in and their DPS will skyrocket.
    - Spec for AoE, Locks -> Demo, Mages -> Fire, Hunters -> Survival etc.

The hard parts are the AoE phases black and green. If you can manage those DPS requirements then you have enough DPS to also get the boss, in fact you'll likely have to slow down on the boss. This is assuming 0 deaths.

Edit: Your locks are not demo. In fact I don't know why they're affliction, for any fight other than this they should be destro. Tell them to optimize their class better.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2011-04-04 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    Judging by the logs none of them are demo.

Taquito is affliction, Entah is affliction and Snack is destro. Those specs don't provide anything unique to the raid. Your unholy DKs can spread their CoE-like debuff that increases magic damage taken by all adds.
    That's why i added the "or have demo spec's part as their secondary spec. I'll mention it for surei could see how their pet's Bladestorm would be really helpful.
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

Releasing abberations during the black phase is unnecessary. It's just one of the possible strats. My guild struggled with AOE at first, and found it easier to just burn those adds down in the green phases.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    I assume you're 7 healing 2 tanking yes? If you have the DPS to get all the vile swills dead before black phase ends, then you have the DPS to do the fight, so aim for that.

A few notes:
    - Reset the fight if you don't get aberrations at the start. You want each black phase to be 5 swills and 3 aberrations (that means letting 1 aberration cast through on green so that you can have 3 aberration for the 2nd black phase as well).
    - Have any dot classes get off boss and pre-dot the 6 active aberration ~10 seconds before green phase starts. As soon as green starts those dots will all kick in and their DPS will skyrocket.
    - Spec for AoE, Locks -> Demo, Mages -> Fire, Hunters -> Survival etc.

The hard parts are the AoE phases black and green. If you can manage those DPS requirements then you have enough DPS to also get the boss, in fact you'll likely have to slow down on the boss. This is assuming 0 deaths.

Edit: Your locks are not demo. In fact I don't know why they're affliction, for any fight other than this they should be destro. Tell them to optimize their class better.
    Yes we're 2 tank 7 heals. Thanks for the info.
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

Deleted
    Releasing abberations during the black phase is unnecessary. It's just one of the possible strats. My guild struggled with AOE at first, and found it easier to just burn those adds down in the green phases.
    It's not so much about burning them in green, it's about tank deaths when tanking 9 adds. Most strats involving 9 adds use 2 tanks or a kiter, they have only 1 hunter for traps and their tanks are pallies (not a war with Piercing Howl). That's why I suggest doing 6 adds, and killing the other 3 in black.

If their casters spec properly they actually have a very very good AoE comp so AoEing down 3 adds in black along with the swills should be a non-issue.

Of course experiences will vary, that's the best strat imo considering the comp I see in those logs.

It is somehow obvious to me that there are light theroy craft issues. Why is one mage doing 24k DPS and the other 13k? Dont they talk to each other? If so. Why? Your locks seems to have some issues as well... tune them. Your hunter Bonesmuggla is very well geared (I play hunter as well) but ~20k is too low. He should be able to do around 24k in avarage. Your warrior should be ranked up in dmg, too.

All in All, I (without a video) would state your members should do some theory crafting... hence, you will be able to deal more easier with blubbs and may succeed in appling guide X to your setup. Maybe try to mediate between your members.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    It's not so much about burning them in green, it's about tank deaths when tanking 9 adds. Most strats involving 9 adds use 2 tanks or a kiter, they have only 1 hunter for traps and their tanks are pallies (not a war with Piercing Howl). That's why I suggest doing 6 adds, and killing the other 3 in black.

If their casters spec properly they actually have a very very good AoE comp so AoEing down 3 adds in black along with the swills should be a non-issue.

Oh yeah, you're right. Didn't notice they only have 2 tanks.
    But with 3 mages they can chain rings of frost (8 seconds of no tank damage each). Best used in the phase before green when most of the adds are already out.

Deleted
    I would suggest you try to find a demo lock. ... They are stupidly amazing in the green phase.
    This is pretty much it. They were also rather "OP" when it came to the black phase, with the Hellfire spam while moving. Our guild had 2 demo locks pulling somewhere near the 28k mark on those phases which was rather handy. However since 4.0.6 (i think) the damage has been nerfed, though it's still viable to use on that encounter if you're having any add/dps issues.
    No offence to your arcane mage, but as arcane, they can pull alot more damage on that fight. With the Remedy dispelling, they can keep their mana higher than normal.

Our guild also found this fight considerably easier with 3 tanks, 1 on the boss and 2 on the adds that spawn from "Release Abberation". Better damage/healing management and less need to kite which could often cause problems.

Hope this helps in some way

K so far useful information is

Have locks swap to Demo (can do)
    Bring fire mages (normally we run 3 - arcane was just subbing in to help us get 24 <-- people need to read that )

Yes I know my numbers were low last night, normally I focus on tanking the boss for this encounter so it was new to me for dpsing and goo is really f'n annoying. Swapped to Arms right after the raid for better AOE.

Release 3 adds dps down while dealing with the black so we only have to deal with 6 later on for green phase - don't adds up 10 seconds before green phase starts.

My healer lead asked if running 6 healers was something that could be handled? or is it better to lean on 7 for now while we learn it.

We've tried both releasing 3 at start and interrupting the initial and kiting guess we can put more attempts on the prior.

on the kiting thing..Normally we have 3 hunters that run with us but 2 were away for RL issues last night so bone was only traps, we were attempting to use Earthbind to but it's not as effective we found due to positioning of totems.

Please read and look at the logs before posting it will make things so much easier, I can sift through comments but I can tell when you haven't looked at logs
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steakums View Post
    Please read and look at the logs before posting it will make things so much easier, I can sift through comments but I can tell when you haven't looked at logs
    If you choose to do a kite strategy a good option would be for one of your pally tanks to DPS and you to kite the adds since warriors have access to Piercing Howl. If a pally has to kite them then 2-3 frost traps help a ton, totems don't work as well. Ring of Frost helps but it's not something I like to rely on because its a clunkier mechanic, and because it can be troublesome to break the CC (it doesn't break on all dmg) in order to position adds for green phase. I prefer the 3 aberrations in black and 6 in green personally.

You don't need 6 healers imo, judging by the fact that you got black phase done with 2-3 adds <10% HP you're fine. If your locks respec, you go arms and you get more familiar with the fight then you'll be golden as is.

Long story short with a few respecs you'll be close to a kill and it's just a matter of executing.

Edit: I might even be so bold as to say you can 3 tank it and still have the DPS left over to finish the fight if your group is all well-speced and you don't have to deal with subs. You going Prot isn't really a loss in DPS since Prot has super stupid good AoE, and AoE is where it's at on this fight.

Deleted
    I would suggest using 3 tanks to ease up the healers if your going to release aome abberations in that phase, I would also suggest that alot of your melee are not doing anywhere near enough damage.

Locks (demo) Fire mages, Rogues, DKs and Hunters are all capable or doing well over 20k in this fight. They hsoudl be your go to AoEers.

Also makes sure your not missing any raids buffs, it really can be the difference

My guild has quite the opposite problem. We cannot seem to wipe on Heroic Maloriak, even if it totally seems like we try. We use 3 tanks to make it super easy mode and usually have to stop DPS because we don't want to push him into the last phase early. From releasing 6 aberrations in the Dark Phase (by accident) to never even interrupting them, we still one shot it every single week. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm seriously baffled that your guild has so much trouble....which means your raiders are doing something drastically wrong.

Make sure most of your dps are set up for heavy AOE. It really helps to have a Prot Warrior that knows what they're doing to tank the Vile Swil in the Dark Phase, simply because of the massive amount of damage they can do to them while tanking. It's usually the same or more than a demo lock in my experiences. As long as you get all of the aberrations down by the end of the Green Phase, and the Vile Swil by the Dark Phase, you should see a kill soon after.
    Last edited by Benefits; 2011-04-04 at 11:21 PM.

I'm hijackign this thread for an additional question that was also asked above but never answered:

We run 3 tanks for this fight.

How many healers should we go with?
    How many do you have handling the black phase MT damage?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    I'm hijackign this thread for an additional question that was also asked above but never answered:

We run 3 tanks for this fight.

We use 6-7 healers on this fight. ( If you are melee heavy I suggest 7 healers ).

We have 1 disc priest shielding the main tank and 2 holy paladins throwing divine light on him when possible.
    When the tank has the 100% healing reduction the paldins ofc heal the raid and the priest I guess continue shielding when possible and helping out on the raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    To be safe 7 and a Disc + Holy Pally on tank if the tank is good at rotating CDs.