Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorllin View Post
    Pokemon as an MMO would be fun, but hard. No way to do raids, so it would be largely PvP. Which would be extremely fun
    Incoming long post that got longer as I stopped paying attention and started rambling:
    Actually, i don't think it would be too difficult at all to design raid or instance encounters. Pokemon already has most of the necessary elements established, they would just need to be divided up.

Roles: Tank, DPS, Support, Heals
    Tanking could easily be confined to certain types such as Rock, Steel, etc. Often Pokemon of those types have special moves which increase defense. Those type of moves could be easily transformed into baseline or cooldown abilities.
    DPS- Plenty of different types of dps spells in game along with types
    Support- Pokemon is full of support spells from ones that increase your Pokemon's attack, defense debuff the enemy with dots, chance to hit reduction (damn you Sand Attack!).
    Heals- Really the only thing that needs establishing as most healing involves player items. With an emphasis on team play healing could easily be added to several of the pokemon types.

Raids/Instances:
    Settings- Pokemon is incredibly rich in various settings for raids and instances. The game is completely based around exploring caves, islands, mountains, volcanoes, etc. Those could easily be adapted to be group instances as they already feel like solo instances in most cases.

Big bad guy- Pokemon has a wealth of potential big baddies. There are the traditional Team (insert space term here) enemies that you fight. There are also the legendary pokemon you can find at the end of extensive instances.

Little bad guys- I guess this would be defined by which Pokemon players were allowed to play as/with. There could in theory be a defined set of each type that are found only as enemy Pokemon while you can only have and play as certain Pokemon. Evolutions could represent difficulty moreso than they usually do in the handheld game.

Imaginary X-man raid instance:
    The Power Station - First raid in the Legendary Bird tier (If Articuno is an enemy though I would totally not play this game)
    A mysterious and legendary bird has taken control of the power station. You and your group of allies must battle your way through the power station and drive out the legendary Zapdos and his minions. Who knows what untold riches will be found in his possession.

Trash packs: Trash involves groups of Pokemon previously classified as electric and steel types. These Pokemon would fit specific roles in an enemy group such as having a certain Pokemon that heals, one that stuns, etc. Such Pokemon would include Voltorb, Electebuzz, Magnemite, and others I can't remember.

Bosses:
    Electrode- A massive Electrode is found guarding one wing of the power station. Has mechanics such as massive aoe damage explosions, paralyzes on random players, etc.
    Magneton- A group of Magnemites form into a Magneton in another wing of the plant. Has mechanics like aoe thunderstorms he puts in areas, splits into adds you need to handle, etc.
    Steelix- Massive steel worm found in the final wing before you can reach Zapdos. Binds a random target dealing damage by squeezing in his tail, burrows and strikes a random target, massive sandstorm, defensive mechanics you need to counter, etc.

Zapdos- After driving out, not killing as nothing in Pokemon dies!, the most formidable of his minions, you must face the legendary bird of thunder. Massive thunder storms reek havoc on your positioning. Paralyzes the tank requiring swapping. Also Drill Pecks the tank reducing defense. Casts Fly and disapppars from the room summoning hoards of Plusle and Minun, those cute little electric bunnies, that you must deal with. The rabbits are rooted in place around the room. Once defeated, these fainted rabbits serve a use in the phase after Fly. Zapdos returns to the field of battle, dealing massive damage to the target he was on when he exited the field.
    In phase 2, Zapdos gains a stacking buff increasing damage done on a single target (Plus) or an aoe around him (minus). This effect is countered by moving him between the groups of Pluslle or Minun. Each time he reaches one of these Pokemon he will lose a stack of his buff, but the rabbit will reactivate. The phase is about managing the stacks of his buff to never increase the amount of damage done to the raid or the tank to be unbearable while managing positioning and handling adds.

At 30%, Zapdos casts Fly again. All of the electric rabbits are awakened, but they flee the room. In their place, Zapdos drops exploding Voltrobs around the room. When they land, they flash red and then explode. This is purely a survival and stupidity check phase. Zapdos returns to the field, doing massive damage to the tank with Fly and Phase 3 begins.

In phase 3, Zapdos goes berserk. This is when he starts busting out the big Electricity type attacks like Thunder, a massive single target hit on the tank. This phase is heavy damage and is pretty much a burn and hope you live phase.

Congratulations you have driven out the legendary pokemon Zapdos. Your reward is epic level Poke-items. I have no idea how this works. The games currency like badges will be Rare Candy though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Incoming long post that got longer as I stopped paying attention and started rambling:
    Actually, i don't think it would be too difficult at all to design raid or instance encounters. Pokemon already has most of the necessary elements established, they would just need to be divided up.

Tanking could easily be confined to certain types such as Rock, Steel, etc. Often Pokemon of those types have special moves which increase defense. Those type of moves could be easily transformed into baseline or cooldown abilities.
    Support- Pokemon is full of support spells from ones that increase your Pokemon's attack, defense debuff the enemy with dots, chance to hit reduction (damn you Sand Attack!).
    Heals- Really the only thing that needs establishing as most healing involves player items. With an emphasis on team play healing could easily be added to several of the pokemon types.

Raids/Instances:
    Settings- Pokemon is incredibly rich in various settings for raids and instances. The game is completely based around exploring caves, islands, mountains, volcanoes, etc. Those could easily be adapted to be group instances as they already feel like solo instances in most cases.

Big bad guy- Pokemon has a wealth of potential big baddies. There are the traditional Team (insert space term here) enemies that you fight. There are also the legendary pokemon you can find at the end of extensive instances.

Little bad guys- I guess this would be defined by which Pokemon players were allowed to play as/with. There could in theory be a defined set of each type that are found only as enemy Pokemon while you can only have and play as certain Pokemon. Evolutions could represent difficulty moreso than they usually do in the handheld game.

The Power Station - First raid in the Legendary Bird tier (If Articuno is an enemy though I would totally not play this game)
    A mysterious and legendary bird has taken control of the power station. You and your group of allies must battle your way through the power station and drive out the legendary Zapdos and his minions. Who knows what untold riches will be found in his possession.

Trash packs: Trash involves groups of Pokemon previously classified as electric and steel types. These Pokemon would fit specific roles in an enemy group such as having a certain Pokemon that heals, one that stuns, etc. Such Pokemon would include Voltorb, Electebuzz, Magnemite, and others I can't remember.

Bosses:
    Electrode- A massive Electrode is found guarding one wing of the power station. Has mechanics such as massive aoe damage explosions, paralyzes on random players, etc.
    Magneton- A group of Magnemites form into a Magneton in another wing of the plant. Has mechanics like aoe thunderstorms he puts in areas, splits into adds you need to handle, etc.
    Steelix- Massive steel worm found in the final wing before you can reach Zapdos. Binds a random target dealing damage by squeezing in his tail, burrows and strikes a random target, massive sandstorm, defensive mechanics you need to counter, etc.

Zapdos- After driving out, not killing as nothing in Pokemon dies!, the most formidable of his minions, you must face the legendary bird of thunder. Massive thunder storms reek havoc on your positioning. Paralyzes the tank requiring swapping. Also Drill Pecks the tank reducing defense. Casts Fly and disapppars from the room summoning hoards of Plusle and Minun, those cute little electric bunnies, that you must deal with. The rabbits are rooted in place around the room. Once defeated, these fainted rabbits serve a use in the phase after Fly. Zapdos returns to the field of battle, dealing massive damage to the target he was on when he exited the field.
    In phase 2, Zapdos gains a stacking buff increasing damage done on a single target (Plus) or an aoe around him (minus). This effect is countered by moving him between the groups of Pluslle or Minun. Each time he reaches one of these Pokemon he will lose a stack of his buff, but the rabbit will reactivate. The phase is about managing the stacks of his buff to never increase the amount of damage done to the raid or the tank to be unbearable while managing positioning and handling adds.

At 30%, Zapdos casts Fly again. All of the electric rabbits are awakened, but they flee the room. In their place, Zapdos drops exploding Voltrobs around the room. When they land, they flash red and then explode. This is purely a survival and stupidity check phase. Zapdos returns to the field, doing massive damage to the tank with Fly and Phase 3 begins.

In phase 3, Zapdos goes berserk. This is when he starts busting out the big Electricity type attacks like Thunder, a massive single target hit on the tank. This phase is heavy damage and is pretty much a burn and hope you live phase.

Congratulations you have driven out the legendary pokemon Zapdos. Your reward is epic level Poke-items. I have no idea how this works. The games currency like badges will be Rare Candy though.
    On behalf of me, I have three commands for you:

1. Win the lottery, or achieve wealth through other means.
    2. Get a damn designer team.
    3. GIEF BETA TICKET!!!

Thank you, that is all.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

im saying starcraft even though it will probably turn into a mmo

---------- Post added 2011-04-05 at 02:29 AM ----------

Raids/Instances:

Bosses:

my god make this happen please, being able to make our own pokemon in a MMO would be AWESOME
    Last edited by Bluey111; 2011-04-05 at 02:27 AM. Reason: typo

any game movie tie-ins

I know a few that should never be MMOs.

1. Super Granny - It's a horrible game, dunno how it even got 5 sequels and counting.

2. Diner Dash/Dinertown/Avenue Flo - There's already way too any spinoffs of the game, and they're all equally annoying and weird.

3. Mystery Case Files - An awesome series, but dunno if it'd be doable as an MMO.

4. Might and Magic - It's gone downhill for some time, hope nobody gets the bright idea that an MMO would make the series good again.

5. Dragon Age - Although I had heard the developers had planned to eventually make it an MMO, I think that would be a bad thing, it's got some hot gay stuff in it. And let's face it, there aren't any MMOs out there where you can really be gay.

6. Suikoden

did anyone say pacman, 100 square mile persistent maze, either be pacman or ghosts, the pvp is sorted, ghosts might need nerfing a bit but.... ohh right this is should 'NEVER' be an mmo well i totally agree... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Need for speed.
    There's already a Need for Speed MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    WALL OF TEXT
    Granted you did put a lot of thought into this, I hate it. I don't wan't World of Poke'craft. The main reason why I like pokemon is because it doesn't have the "Rock Paper Scissors" effect with Tank/ Heals/ DPS. There are pokemon that are built to take damage and whittle down the opponents, but I prefer the old school 1v1 poke battles.

I don't even want a pokemon MMO.

Gonna say... Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft.

Fuck blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    There is one fundamental flaw with a Pokemon MMO, the objective of Pokemon is to catch them all. 25 players in a raid and only one of them can catch the boss, it would turn into a free for all blood bath to see who in your raid can throw their ball at the right time. Everyone else gets nothing ^^

OT: Tetris

10+ Year Old Account
    Sonic the Hedgehog MMO!

LFG, need a DP-HEY SLOW DOWN I'M TALKING TO YOU! ;_;

Guys, stop running up the walls and focus on the boss!

Oh, and the yif would scare me if you know what I mean

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    pokemon.....
    So wrong on so many levels.
    On an individual level, there are now 649 different Pokemon that can be obtained (eat your hearts out, hunters). Many are common, some are legendary, and some you can only get as a gift through an event. Each pokemon has 3 types of stats: base stats, Individual Values (IVs) and Effort Values (EVs). Your base stats are what the specific pokemon comes with, are static, and there are 6 (HP, Attack, Special Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed). IVs are a random, hidden value that is assigned to each base stat, ranges from 0-31, and is also static. EVs is where the customization comes in. Battling against pokemon will award you with EVs in one of the base stats, which are hidden, but you can keep track of them. If you need a Pokemon that is fast, you can catch one that is naturally quick (a known value), get lucky with the IV in speed (or breed them until you get the IVs you want), and then battle it against opposing pokemon that award speed EVs. Pokemon can also have one of thirty natures that increase one stat by 10% and decreases another by 10%.

On a team level, you have 17 different types that pokemon can have. Its simple rock-papper-scissors to see what is effective and what isn't. Water beats fire, normal can't hit ghost (and vice versa), dragon is resistant to fire, water, grass and electric. Diversity is key. Try different strategies. Try to build a team around entry hazards. Try a stall team out with bulky water types or fat normals (looking at you, Blissey).

I could go on, but this is going on tldr. There is a lot of potential in a pokemon mmo. don't dismiss it without any reasons behind why.

---------- Post added 2011-04-05 at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    There is one fundamental flaw with a Pokemon MMO, the objective of Pokemon is to catch them all. 25 players in a raid and only one of them can catch the boss, it would turn into a free for all blood bath to see who in your raid can throw their ball at the right time. Everyone else gets nothing ^^

OT: Tetris
    Well sure. If pokemon were in the world of warcraft setting, then it would be dumb.
    But we wouldn't be in azeroth. we wouldn't have 25 man raids. They'd be set up differently. We'd have different things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Granted you did put a lot of thought into this, I hate it. I don't wan't World of Poke'craft. The main reason why I like pokemon is because it doesn't have the "Rock Paper Scissors" effect with Tank/ Heals/ DPS. There are pokemon that are built to take damage and whittle down the opponents, but I prefer the old school 1v1 poke battles.

I don't even want a pokemon MMO.

Gonna say... Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft.

Fuck blizzard.

What are you talking about? Pokemon is 99% rock, paper, scissors. The different pokemon types are probably THE most important aspect in a pokemon game.

Grass beats water, Fire beats grass, Water beats fire.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mario, pong, frogger, and almost any old game they would not feel right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of which, I wonder how DCUO is doing. Not well I imagine.

Anywho, any FPS game would make a terrible MMO in my eyes. I would hate to see a Fable MMO.

However, I would love to see some kind of Pokemon MMO.
    DCUO is doing great actually. its definitely one of the more popular wow alternatives.

Pacman MMO lol
    Street fighter or any kind of fighting game franchise would be pretty stupid.

Any erotic game.....

... no wait forget what I said!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Call a jewtiee !
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Tetris. Worst. MMO. Ever.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Magicka would be viable, if players had 10-20x the healthpool. Thunderbolt hits for 10k on wet targets, and players have 1k i belive without the war staff :/