Page 1 of 3
LastLast

FPS games i miss my health bars

i have been playing alot of FPS military shooters lately. and i miss health bars and med kits, i'm sick of the duck and cover to get health back way, for me the reg health bars are just the desginers beaing lazy and not wanting to properly balance the singel player maps

one of the games i think would have benefited more from health bars and med kits is mafia 2 (kinda bad that it is only half a game with no free roaming mode)

and the next game coming out that i think would be better of with a health bar is duke nukem forever

i am not saying every game should have health bars and med kits just that duck and cover method is over used atm

what do you guys think? do you miss health bars and med kits in fps games?

Theres a reason counterstrike is still popular
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

Aye, I hate CoD with a passion. Apparently your screen turning a tint of orange with specks of blood around the edges is realistic when you've been shot in the toe. I'm always going back to games like Quake and Doom if I want to play an FPS title. There's nothing wrong with health bars or the traditional FPS UI, so it baffles me why they got rid of them.

Me personally as a battlefield player i rather like the "blood" going on my screen to tell me that im getting hit...
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

about 9 years ago I played an FPS called swat4, probably not many readers of this thread have played it but basically it had no med packs but it did, to an extent have a health bar, in the bottom left was a portrait of your body showing what areas you have been shot, being shot in the legs slowed you down, shot in the arms fucked up your aim and chest head had dmg multiplyers. was a good system, and a good game, wish they'd make a swat 5 with modern day graphics tbh.

i am mostly talkng about the singel player part of the game sens health bars and med packs can be used very well to balance the diffculty curve and gives you a greater sens of thinking in the game for ex "i can grab this health pack now and waste a bit of it or i can wait and run back and grab it to get a full benefit but i might die then"

EDIT i liked SWAT 4 dmg system but for me the penelities where to high and the scoreing system of how well you did during the missions are a bit wonkey
    Last edited by Harith; 2011-04-05 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypro View Post
    Me personally as a battlefield player i rather like the "blood" going on my screen to tell me that im getting hit...
    That blood should stay on the screen, not go away if you duck for 3 seconds. That's what I find stupid about it.

Wtb health back ;(

Deleted
    Quake 3 style tbh, healthbar for yourself and judging your opponents HP by the way their dudes scream when you hit them I really dislike shooters without a clear healthbar, but I still haven't found a proper replacement for my Quake addiction.

I agree 100%. I miss the health bar and that's one of the reasons why I don't like new FPS's. This is also one of the reasons I loved MAG, because it used old school mechanics.
    Now, I don't mind the "bloody screen, so real" regeneration mechanic in Single player, but when it comes to multi player...it sucks.

Personally, I like Bungie's latest approach to this. You have the regenerating health (shields), but you also have static health (actual health bar).
    Imagine whatever I say as being said with Morgan Freeman's voice. It will make you rage less.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind having both at the same time. Bloody screen when you're low on your health bar sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    That blood should stay on the screen, not go away if you duck for 3 seconds. That's what I find stupid about it.

Wtb health back ;(
    In Battlefield Bad Company 2 the blood can stay on what feels like minutes if you get severely hurt. There are medpacks from the medics which heals this in a couple of seconds though.

Quote Originally Posted by Augury View Post
    about 9 years ago I played an FPS called swat4, probably not many readers of this thread have played it but basically it had no med packs but it did, to an extent have a health bar, in the bottom left was a portrait of your body showing what areas you have been shot, being shot in the legs slowed you down, shot in the arms fucked up your aim and chest head had dmg multiplyers. was a good system, and a good game, wish they'd make a swat 5 with modern day graphics tbh.
    I love you .. i thought Swat4 was forgotten , i guess not ! one of the best FPS games ive ever played tbh. alongside with CS 1.3 the original .
    In Soviet Russia , Keyboard turns you !

█║▌│█│║▌║║▌│▌ORIGINAL
    █║▌│█│║▌║║▌│▌DRUID. ©

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want a FPS with health bars, med kits, lasers, vehicles and still has a community (although not as big as it was at the start) play halo reach, it really isn't that bad.

I actually hate the beating red screen. I also hate static health regeneration. It doesn't belong!

I liked the way we had when there was Doom 2 and Duke Nukem 3D around. Ancient times, but I loved both games back then and I still like the way things were there.

Quote Originally Posted by broflmao View Post
    If you want a FPS with health bars, med kits, lasers, vehicles and still has a community (although not as big as it was at the start) play halo reach, it really isn't that bad.
    i have generaly found halo communitys breed angry ppl, it is the same reason i don't play dota games sens everybody is angry at you while your just trying to have fun and learn the game

Quote Originally Posted by Harith View Post
    i have generaly found halo communitys breed angry ppl, it is the same reason i don't play dota games sens everybody is angry at you while your just trying to have fun and learn the game
    Halo Reach is great. It's easily the best console FPS, and not even PC fps games other than the older ones have as much content as Halo Reach simply because of the customization it has.

The community is really bad though. The only thing that I dislike about it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post

Wtb health back ;(
    Thats what Hardcore is for. Hardcore mode in Battlefield is pretty legit. For a video game atleast. imo

except if I get shot in the face three times I don't expect the magic regenerative properties of a concrete wall to heal the three gunshot wounds in a matter of seconds.