Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    It will come to you.
    That the best thing I can say about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormgard88 View Post
    How do I act grown up? Well, I am 33 years old, and I still feel about the same as I did when I was 18. I generally like the same things, talk the same way, even have mostly the same friends. The REALLY BIG difference is paying bills. I have been saying it for years, the only difference between an adult and a teenager in most cases is the level of responsibility. And before someone asks, if you are under 18 and live in your own apartment, pay for your own food, phone, insurance, or whatever, you are an adult as far as I am concerned. Age means JACK. Take care of what needs to be taken care of, be yourself, and your life will be just fine.
    well said sir. just turned 30 and i do the same shit. bills. bills. bills.

It means that in previous generations people tended to have much greater personal and social responsibilities at a younger age.

Example:

Estimated Median Age at First Marriage, by Sex

Year --- Men --- Women
    2003 --- 27.1 --- 25.3
    1975 --- 23.5 --- 21.1
    1953 --- 22.8 --- 20.2

There was more social pressure in previous generations to leave home, get a job, get married and start a family. That is why older generations view current younger generations as slackers despite huge changes in economic and social realities that make individual success and climbing the economic ladder much more difficult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be responsible for your actions. Know when it is right to act a certain way. Realize the world doesn't revolve around you so don't act like you must get attention. Be respectful to other people regardless of their ethnicity; different cultures have different ways of doing things so respect that, I hate it when people laugh at certain things certain cultures do because they do not comprehend it. I'm currently 25, I've been through the teenage days when various cuss words have flowed in my vocabulary daily, and when baggy clothing was THE coolest thing ever. But now, its all about being professional in everything I do. I guess, to answer the thread question, "How do you act grown up?," Respect. As long as you show respect to others, you've done the best that you can do, even if the person on the receiving end couldn't careless. That's their fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just signed the lease on my house.
    I stil make houses out of lego.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by knihTwice View Post
    It will come to you.
    That the best thing I can say about this.
    Pretty much.

When you start having empathy and caring for others, you'll know you are grown up.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing "mom and dad" and telling people to grow up is rude and unnecessary. However, it is usually following someone telling an immature joke (which would be defined as the type of douchebaggery we did in middle school, ie., calling everyone gay, your-mom-jokes, and other similar moves), which was of equal or greater lame-ness. The people being told to settle down are often socially inept and lack any concept of an "inside voice" or having a quality sense of humor. Shock value and swear words don't always make the joke funny.

15+ Year Old Account
    People saying that just have hang-ups. I behave the way I want to, being serious and considerate when I want to, and being ridiculous and eccentric when I so please. I'm 24 and I'm one of the most "insane" people I know personally, but no one has ever told me to act my age, because I know what I want and do what I want.

Acting like a grown up is simply being straight to fucking business when you're supposed to be, not acting like a child/fratboy in a professional setting, and not loading your Facebook with photos of you drunk.

Oh and promoting a 420 lifestyle is most definitely not acting like an adult.

15+ Year Old Account
    To hell with acting your age. As long as you're not hurting anyone by it, act however you want.

Since I was much younger I was always told that I acted very mature and many people thought I was far older than I really was. When I was 15 I had people assuming I was 25 until I corrected them. I think, though, that I've actually gotten less mature over the years. The key was that I stopped caring what people thought of me and just lived my life the way I wanted to, and it made getting through the day a lot more bearable. Obviously, you still need to be able to step up and be mature when the situation calls for it, but in every other case, just be yourself and have a good time. It's awfully hard to make friends at 15 when you act 30. People who take themselves too seriously are almost universally disliked, and for good reason.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    To hell with acting your age. As long as you're not hurting anyone by it, act however you want.

Since I was much younger I was always told that I acted very mature and many people thought I was far older than I really was. When I was 15 I had people assuming I was 25 until I corrected them. I think, though, that I've actually gotten less mature over the years. The key was that I stopped caring what people thought of me and just lived my life the way I wanted to, and it made getting through the day a lot more bearable. Obviously, you still need to be able to step up and be mature when the situation calls for it, but in every other case, just be yourself and have a good time. It's awfully hard to make friends at 15 when you act 30. People who take themselves too seriously are almost universally disliked, and for good reason.
    I got the same situation.
    Except that i've become less immature. Dunno, i've been like this for 4 years, and i can't say i hate it. i get by, people like me, i'm happy with myself, everything's alright

And strangely enough, people do want to be around me. Maybe it's just where i live though..
    But still having the regular teenage problems, mostly girl problems...sigh.

On a serious note, acting and reacting appropriately to your environment and knowing what is acceptable (or not) in certain situations. I.e: you probably shouldn't wear a clown costume to a Gucci rep. interview. :P

On a lighter note... I'm 20 and I still watch Spongebob and Ed, Edd, n' Eddy all the time! Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by ms andry View Post
    i was just gonna post that! The screw them, and then something else childishy~! But spongebob is always cool man!

Is this the krusty krab?
    no it's patrick!

Be responsable.
    Mature.
    Think of the future not just the moment.

Using those big words I learn from right-clicking while typing stuff helps.

"ooh, serendipitous. That's going to be my word of the day..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Acting grown up means giving up on your grander dreams, settling for one woman (or man, as it may be), accepting responsibility, getting a soul-crushing job because it's stable, and all-around giving up on fun.

It's overrated, but it's either "Act grown up, be depressed but successful" or "Act like a child, live in a cardboard box."
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Acting grown up means giving up on your grander dreams, settling for one woman (or man, as it may be), accepting responsibility, getting a soul-crushing job because it's stable, and all-around giving up on fun.
    Holy crap you summed up my life in a single sentence (and that is truly fucking depressing). To the OP, do yourself a favor and don't grow up...or if you do just don't ever compromise on your dreams.

I used to play Diablo 2 when i was 8 on battle.net.

Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    I never really understood this notion of acting grown up or "act your age".

At what age do i have to act grown up and what does acting grown up mean?

18 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 ect?

examples

you tell a funny rude joke and someone says act your age
    you try to do a handstand in the middle of town someone says act your age
    you wear certain clothes someone says act your age
    you still like a childhood hobby later in life someone says act your age
    you play a childish prank on a friend/family member or work colleage which you find funny but someone says act your age

Someone tell you to quit playing PC games and get on with your life? =P If they did, they're idiots.

Deleted
    Funny all the different responses. Shows who is mature or not. I guess the replies answered your question

Quote Originally Posted by Alphamage View Post
    It is not the way you dress or if you are 40 and still watch Sponge Bob on tv.
    Acting grown up means that you need to have the knowledge when it is time to make a joke or be serious.
    When you need to stop playing a pc game or surfing on the net because your wife/girlfriend/family needs to discuss something serious with you or needs your help and you do it.
    When you need to come front or step back in a situation and when you can manage your own responsibilities and take your own risks.
    This. Also when you can oversee the consequences off your actions.