Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Higher resolution and differences in performances

So im close to buy a new monitor, im considering the new LG W2363D-PF 3D 120Hz.
    I actually have a 19", resolution is 1280x1024 and buying that monitor i would move to a full hd resolution.

I sit on a E6700 dual core duo with a 8800gts and play with "high" settings with no fps problems.

My question now is: is it worth to buy that monitor or its a waste and that would only make wow perform worse?

Tnx.

Deleted
    Performance would take a slight hit - but a bigger weakness in your current setup is the processor which should not be overly affected by the change.

You would off-load a whole lot of load to the GPU.
    Resolution is, I believe, the single biggest performance-hit, even ahead of shadows.

I'd say buying the monitor is worth it, regardless of performancehit.

1920x1080 has almost double the pixels compared to your current 1280x1024, meaning it will run all games at half speed.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    1920x1080 has almost double the pixels compared to your current 1280x1024, meaning it will run all games at half speed.
    Well half of what it was running at anyways, assuming gpu is the bottleneck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly, yes you will notice quite a performance hit but I reckon 8800GTS should be able to handle WoW at 1080p...probably on medium/good settings.
    Secondly, 120hz will be a bit pointless unless you have a graphics setup that can consistently push 90-120+ fps on most of your games....you won't be able to take advantage of 120hz with an 8800GTS. I don't think that card can handle 3D at 1080p either, but I could be wrong.

Hell I'm planning to go with a GTX580 SLI setup (even that's not enough for some games) to make full use of my 120hz monitor :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Secondly, 120hz will be a bit pointless unless you have a graphics setup that can consistently push 90-120+ fps on most of your games....you won't be able to take advantage of 120hz with an 8800GTS. I don't think that card can handle 3D at 1080p either, but I could be wrong.
    While I agree that a 120Hz monitor is currently excessive because of the 8800GTS bottleneck, this new monitor will certainly outlive that GPU by far, and he/she will eventually need to replace it with a new GPU that (unless it's a cheapo) would pump out a lot more FPS. Sure 120Hz will be cheaper at that point in the future too, but then he/she's stuck with the old 60Hz standard for a few more years, considering the lifespan of monitors. We're in a transition period where it's hard to decide between 60Hz and paying a bit more to get 120Hz. Hopefully 60Hz will be phased sometime soon and 120Hz becomes standard so that decision will be made for us.
    Last edited by Plasmon; 2011-04-07 at 12:14 AM.

In addition to lack of pure pixel power, you may also run into performance degradation due to insufficient memory if you have a 512MB card and use anti-aliasing and other effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, i think i'll wait then
    Tnx everyone for the precious infos!

Deleted
    It depends on what you play. Going from a 19" 4:3 screen to a 23" 16:9 screen is an AMAZING upgrade. A widescreen picture is just so much cooler when playing WoW it's hard to describe.

As for your processing power: Your PC is just about pushing it. As mentioned above, espect your FPS to drop by half at least. If you play WoW at 60 FPS then it shouldn't be a problem. However, don't expect to add any nice AF or AA effects, not that they really make a huge difference imo.

I play on a 275 GTX at 1650x1050 at 40-60 FPS in most places. I'm not sure how your GPU compares but I think yours is a little weaker. So it's really cutting it tight.

instead of spending 500$ on a monitor , id buy a p67 mobo+ core i5 2500k+ 4gb of ddr3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    instead of spending 500$ on a monitor , id buy a p67 mobo+ core i5 2500k+ 4gb of ddr3
    It cost 215 €
    The CPU alone cost more :P
    And ye, im planning to change pc hopefully after the summer, I was thinking of the monitor just cause i saw that good offer at my reseller, but i wont go for it if having a nicer view makes me play at a silly fps rate.
    And for games, i only play wow sc2 and cod:bo

Deleted
    Well if your playing BO at 50-60 get ready to play it at 25-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyon View Post
    It cost 215 €
    The CPU alone cost more :P
    And ye, im planning to change pc hopefully after the summer, I was thinking of the monitor just cause i saw that good offer at my reseller, but i wont go for it if having a nicer view makes me play at a silly fps rate.
    And for games, i only play wow sc2 and cod:bo
    You can have the bigger screen in a desktop enviroment (Browsing the web, watching movies, photoshop,...) but when playing games you can just use a lower than native resolution to lag less.. Honestly, getting a bigger screen is always a good choise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    You can have the bigger screen in a desktop enviroment (Browsing the web, watching movies, photoshop,...) but when playing games you can just use a lower than native resolution to lag less.. Honestly, getting a bigger screen is always a good choise.
    afaik playing in a non-native resolution on a lcd monitor its always a very bad idea..

it's not a bad idea in a "dont EVER cross the streams!" way but yeah, it kinda looks crap

Try it, you never know
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2011-04-07 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    it's not a bad idea in a "dont EVER cross the streams!" way but yeah, it kinda looks crap

Try it, you never know
    Very expnsive 'try'. And yes, it will look crap.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Very expnsive 'try'. And yes, it will look crap.
    It's not like he throws the money out of the window, he's making an investment he can use when he upgrades his current system.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like he throws the money out of the window, he's making an investment he can use when he upgrades his current system.
    Gonna update the system in a few months tho, by that time i guess i'll have a wider range choice of 120mhz monitors

Monitor prices will drop certainly, or at least better hardware is available at the same price as today, and it will look crap for certain until then. So yeah, I'd call it throwing money out of the window. Better idea would be waiting until the budget can take whole upgrade.
    Trolling should be.