Power Supply compatibility. Help-

Hey, well I just recently purchased a refurbished basically new pc on bid for $365. Here are the specs..

http://www.recoupit.com/Gateway-DX43...-p9467305.html

So Ive been wanting to upgrade to a better video card, but the vids cards that Ive seen usually require 400+ watts for a PSU. The one that comes with this pc is 300 watts.
    So I had access to 2 other working ATX 550 watt PSU and they both didnt power on my pc. I dont know why but is it a compatibility issue with my motherboard? Do I need to replace it? Or a specific power supply. Im aiming for vid cards like the Nvid GTX series an such. Im not really pc smart so any help with do.

The 2 ATX 550 PSE have are ones that Ive had for at least 4 years. Powered my dual core pc's and still work. I connected everything right and still didnt power on my pc. The 300 watt PSU I have atm on my new pc also has no 4-6 pins connectors or any additional connectors in case some of these new vid cards require it. My aim is to play games like -Tera Online , Diablo 3 at the highest settings.
    Last edited by Cosmetica; 2011-04-07 at 07:04 PM.

You can give one of the AMD cards a try since they use a lot less power than nvidia's. How old are the 550W PSUs you currently have? Maybe they don't have the PCI-e/motherboard connectors.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Most PSU are universal, I did say "most".

That being said, I'v seen PSU die after plugging them in. Have they been offline for awhile "not powering anything"?

330Watt power supply "Should" run them, but everything will run in a low power state and make everything run slow or something may not work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmetica View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102898 this is the vid card Im planning on buying for the PC.
    Your system probably won't use more than 200W on full load with that card, but if your PSU is budget and crappy, then you might run into problems.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely