Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Music] Learning guitar, anything like guitar hero?

I want to learn guitar and i want to know if it is anything like guitar hero lol. some people say it is, and others say it isn't.

Deleted
    In the loosest sense possible it could be compared to Guitar Hero but in reality playing a real guitar is quite different due to finger positioning/movement, some of the techniques when playing a real guitar to get certain sounds from strings and the strings that you strum. Don't expect to jump from Guitar Hero and find learning to play a real guitar a breeze.

It is not. In fact, actually knowing how to play guitar is detrimental in that game. :P
    It is however lots of fun and very rewarding to learn. The most important thing to remember is to play consistently (min 30 minutes a day) for at least a month when you first start. This will build up both your hand strength and the calluses you'll need to be successful later on gl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that guitar hero can teach you about it is timing and rhythm. (Even then the game is not very accurate).

Everything else on guitar is completely different.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tholl View Post
    The only thing that guitar hero can teach you about it is timing and rhythm. (Even then the game is not very accurate).

that is, in a way, what i wanted to hear. i can play medium guitar and expert bass on guitar hero. :P

They're completely different. People can master Guitar Hero in a few weeks. Mastering the real guitar takes years and years of practice. I had already been playing the guitar for years before I tried guitar hero so I can't tell you the learning curve from one to the other but I assure you with an hour or so of practice a day, you'll be playing songs in a few months fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardezar View Post
    I want to learn guitar and i want to know if it is anything like guitar hero lol. some people say it is, and others say it isn't.
    In so far that you use your hands and fingers to play a guitar and guitar hero, then yes, but the coordination needed to play Call of Duty is just as applicable in my eyes.

I am a very VERY mediocre self-taught guitar player, but I have learned enough to play a few fun songs that I like, which is good enough for me.

I recommend that whichever style or genre or whatever you decide to learn, you should discipline yourself to pick up the guitar every day, at least for 30-40 minutes. Even if you do not feel like you are making progress, your body and mind need to get used to having the guitar in your hands, and utilizing the mental pathways that are necessary for guitar playing.

Before I started playing, I didn't think I had a musical bone in my body. Now, I'm not terrible. Practice and discipline makes the difference.
    "I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll try to give you as many tips as I can from personal experience.

1) First of all, whether you play acoustic guitar or electric, the whole strings ordeal is alot different than the plastic button feel of guitar hero. Your fingers will be sore and you will likely get frustrated, but remember to take breaks once you feel your fingers can't handle it anymore.

2) Secondly, don't rush when you are learning new things. A problem for most new guitarists (went through this myself also :P) is that they find something they want to learn, but attempt to play it up to speed, so that it sounds more accurate, but it'll just sound bad without practice. Start slow, work your speed up until you can play it at 100%.

3) That brings me to my next point, make sure you relax. A common picking issue is the wrist being too tense, and then the player ends up using his/her forearm to pick the notes which is a difficult posture to maintain once you start playing faster tempo songs. Always try to use your wrist while still keeping your forearm still. After practicing for a short while you should be a wrist picking champ.

I also used to play Guitar Hero before I actually tried the real thing and I'd say it had little to no benefit whatsoever. Just remember to be patient, dedicated and most importantly, enjoy playing the instrument. Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    I also used to play Guitar Hero before I actually tried the real thing and I'd say it had little to no benefit whatsoever. Just remember to be patient, dedicated and most importantly, enjoy playing the instrument. Good luck!
    thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by drake741 View Post
    I recommend that whichever style or genre or whatever you decide to learn
    as for genre i prefer metal, so i need to get an electric guitar. im posting this here to see if it would be worth buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tholl View Post

This. There were certain songs I'd played on GH before learning on guitar, and I had the timing down right from the start. Honestly i find real guitar to be more fun. The only part of Rock Band/GH i really enjoy is the drumming :P
    Imagine a perfect, cloudless midnight, cold as winter ice and shrouded in shadow. That is Sithis.
    Tarhiel Raniss Garuk Azurra Vaermina Cemetrygates

Deleted
    I started on a nylon string acoustic and nearly gave up due to the pain and the awkwardness of pressing the strings over 10mm to the fretboard. Not fun to begin on, but my drive was there to get an electric and was glad that I did. So much nicer to learn on and easier to get used to.

With learning guitar the main things to remember are don't rush into it and expect to be amazing and then give up hope after a few weeks (like several of my friends have done). Pick it up and play around when you're watching tv for half an hour now and again, before you realise what you've been doing, you'll have harder fingertips and better finger strength to get stuck in with the real practicing.

Anyone with the right motivation and regular practicing can play in a surprisingly short time. (If you like metal, I recommend picking up a few Maiden riffs and harmony lines. Easy to pick up quick, and rewarding to play )

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    actually knowing how to play guitar is detrimental in that game. :P
    No kidding...still cannot play that game to save my life.
    " 'A real man makes his own luck.' - Billy Zane, Titanic " - Dwight K. Schrute

Deleted
    Oh, and in reply to Guitar Hero comments, I must be one of the weird ones that found my guitar experience helpful for it. I'd never played and a friend challenged me to go up against her on the two player thing to see how a guitarist would do. After running through the tutorials and playing about on it for a few hours, she hijacked it and threw on Free Bird two player mode. She dropped out before I did Finger strength and co-ordination counts for something I guess

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyzane View Post
    Same, I've played guitar for just under a decade and am totally useless at guitar hero.

They are pretty much NOTHING like apart from the look of the instrument and the fact you use two hands.

I highly advise you learn to play guitar however, nothing is more satisfying then playing your own music.

Agree with what everyone says, i've started trying to pick it up lately and just find parts of songs that i like and want to know how to play. Easy way to pass the time with out getting frustrated is to queue as dps then play while you wait. Times goes by pretty quick that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can learn how to play with that new Rock Band if i'm not mistaken, the one that now comes with a "simulation" of a real guitar, with buttons in every note.

If you played at hard to expert, it will help with your tapping solo speed and rhythm, that's about it really.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Billyzane View Post
    Seriously! I keep trying to use correct fingerings and I always botch up the notes on that thing. FML.

But yeah, it's nowhere near playing a real guitar. Guitar Hero is about as relevent to guitar as playing video games is to programming.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It is not. In fact, actually knowing how to play guitar is detrimental in that game. :P
    It is however lots of fun and very rewarding to learn. The most important thing to remember is to play consistently (min 30 minutes a day) for at least a month when you first start. This will build up both your hand strength and the calluses you'll need to be successful later on gl!
    Pretty much exactly this.

I'm a solid guitarist but I can't play Guitar Hero to save my life. And the first 1-2 months is the hardest, and most important. You really need to push yourself over that hump and then, once you're past it, you'll start having serious fun. Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always been a piano guy... but I would imagine that the Rock Band Pro Guitar would be essentially a guitar tutorial considering that (as I understand it) it has all the strings and frets. So if you want some instant gratification, you could always go that route :P