Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I really dont like to fuss and make noise but this calls for it. I am a dps yes I dont however give tanks or heals hard times I do my job. But I will say one thing Im sick of tanks and heals getting pampered what if you didnt have dps would you get your heroic done maybe depends on how much said tank does and the heals ability to keep up said tank. Now Bizz is going to give them more reason to think they are gods by giving them bags with loot come on thats not fair at all so you know what I will not dps after this patch hell I may finally have a reason to quit and you guys for qqing over the wait time get a hobby do dailys, farm stop bitching. I saw just yesterday someone offer 200 gold for their tanking services please get over yourself. So I will either level yet another alt or just quit Blizz giving them gold or a rare mount how is that fair to us dps......

What's up with all the trolling threads

Deleted
    As a healer, or occasionally dps, I hate whenever I encounter an idiot(s), period.

Just today I entered an instance where the tank, upon realizing that the group used no CC, bubbled and hearth-stoned whereas the rest of us died. It was a strange thing to do, seeing as how I was able to keep him and the rest of the group alive despite the damage. When I told him straight up that it was a stupid move to hearthstone away, I got removed from the group. Fun times.

Not this crap again.

OP, couldn't you rant in one of seemingly endless list of other threads on this topic?

Seems to me that for every good player (regardless of role) there are half a dozen knuckleheads. I've run into plenty of "idiot" healers and tanks, too.

And if I hear one more tank tell us about how "hard" it is to tank, I'm gonna puke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Druidtank View Post
    And, in the end, I highly respect the COMPETENT (good) healers who were able to keep my squishy Feral ass up in heroics. The good DPS for killing at asap for the heals, thank you as well. But the incompetent f*cks, please just be quiet and suck your thumb.
    U'r basicly elitist, if some1 isn't good yet, you have to support em, and having a pally healer, DK tank and a ele shammy myself, i'm personally on Healing = Tanking = dps in difficulty, if you're lazy as tank, you give the healer ALOT more work, you lazy as healer, group tends to die, lazy as dps, healer's mana gets stretched. Tank is new? just CC a bit, healer = new, CC a bit... dps is new? CC a bit...
    Last edited by mmoc08a6831976; 2011-04-08 at 07:01 PM. Reason: forgot the DPS parts =[

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having played since vanilla (classic, whatev), as a healer, DPS and tank, I can say that, by far, tanking is the easiest role.
    A.) Hold threat
    B.) Blow defensive CDs when necessary
    Healing is toughest - a constant reevaluation of triage and spell choice (holy priest FTW) as well as mana conservation. All the initial blame after a wipe. Thank god for Fatality and Recount to show the dummies what killed them and how much damage they took compared to everyone else.
    Also, being a GOOD DPS means interrupts, CC, and self-healing to lessen burden on heals, especially in cata. This is doubly important since healers are learning not to dump mana on baddies or, often, simply cannot pull heals from tank.

OP, you seem a bit jaded from too many bad groups, which I can respect because we all get them. However, your condescending tone is unwarranted (especially, as other posters have said, because there are SOOOOO many forum posts on this topic). Furthermore, Tanking was toughest in classic, when basically only Warriors could pull it off and it took so long to get to 60 that not many people had alts of all types, hence an understanding of each's role/responsibilities. Now, most players understand these things, and tanks have so many defensive cooldowns that, if your group is even semi-competent, most encounters become trivial from the tanking perspective.

TL;DR Tanking is not hard. Tanking smart, interrupting, covering for poor DPS and heals, rounding up stray aggro, learning initial mechanics can be challenging, but it is not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    Just curious; why did you use the words: asshole, bitch, and ass in their entirety, but censor part of fuck?

Does the sexual nature of the word make you uncomfortable?
    Ha! I like you Shady!

DPS is just follow around, press the button to CC your target, and press buttons and pull 12k. I've been pulling over 10k on my shaman since 85. It's not hard.
    No, it's not. If 10k is enough for you... I know people whose Pet do 10k dps. But they're just cheating, I think...

Tanking, though, I have to concentrate on holding aggro off of derp DPS, concentrate on taking as little amount of damage as possible, and (personally, not all tanks should) interrupts. For the record, because of my concentration, I pull 18k DPS average on mobs, and 10-11k single target. Yeah, I can be an "elitist asshole" when in PuGs, but only when the DPS are incompetent arrogant pricks.

Be grateful for what Blizzard has given you. Now, instead of flying in circle trolling trade chat, I will que for Call of Arms as much as possible to get sweet loots. Thus, lowering your whiny bitch ass que times.
    I lol'ed irl. Poor baby, having to not pay attention to anything dumb like a rotation. And if aggro is your main concern, well... think about those 10k.

Lucky me, though. I get to tank that shit on my twink and chill ma way to those juicy freebies! Account bound! Yay!

DPS is just follow around, press the button to CC your target, and press buttons and pull 12k. I've been pulling over 10k on my shaman since 85. It's not hard. Tanking, though, I have to concentrate on holding aggro off of derp DPS, concentrate on taking as little amount of damage as possible, and (personally, not all tanks should) interrupts. For the record, because of my concentration, I pull 18k DPS average on mobs, and 10-11k single target.
    A) Dps is just follow around, CC, pull numbers- yes. But...
    B) Tanking is just running around, marking (hopefully), taunting, holding aggro
    C) Healing is just follow around, watch your mana, and stop the tank from dying.

D) Tanking involves concentration, holding aggro off of derp dps, concentrate on taking as little amount of damage as possible- yes. But...
    E) As a DPS, I've been responsible for managing crowd controls AND waiting 5 seconds between each full rotation for the derp tank to figure out that he's supposed to be holding aggro, not running in circles. Managing focus, energy, cooldowns and paying attention to the whereabouts of other mobs does involve at least a little concentration.
    F) As a healer, I am responsible for healing the derp dps that stood in fire, the tank who not only thinks he is too good to waste time CCing, but will actually go to the lengths to break any CCs that the dps choose to use. And often times explaining in baby talk why the tank died after pulling a boss while he was at half health and I was at half mana, and how his healing gear made his death his own fault, not mine. And yes, all while concentrating on managing my own mana and cooldowns.

I fail to see why you believe tanks are so much harder than other classes.
    The fact that there are 4 tank specs compared to 10 dps specs AND the fact that a group usually has dps and tanks at a 3:1 ratio (ultimately meaning you will inevitably always be in shorter supply) does not mean that tanks are harder to play or deserve any special treatment. Sorry Bud...

All i've read was : LOOK GUYS I'M AWESOME

15+ Year Old Account
    Before I start responding to posts I'll say this, dps were bitching about the bags because it does nothing but encourage bad tanks (like the OP) to chain queue because they are being rewarded. This means all the dps DKs that have a blood spec, retadins with a prot spec & shield, dps warriors with a prot spec & shield, and kitty druids will be encouraged to queue as a tank which means your healers will be stressed out more trying to keep your poorly geared asses alive which means dps are more likely to die which means dungeons (and each pull) takes long which means your healers will go oom on trash more frequently which means you (the tank) will die more frequently which means you (the tank) will queue for more randoms anyway because you've got instant pops and are being rewarded with these bags anyway. Pures (rogues, locks, mages, and hunters) can't queue for anything but dps. Hybrids with a healing spec (priests, druids, pallies, and shaman) most likely won't get the CTA because they currently have queue times unlike tanks (except in the lower brackets). DPS only have instant pops are low levels and let's face it, it doesn't last that long because you're always increasing in levels unless you have your exp for some reason.

First you say.....
    I know all the roles, and since playing all since Cata release, tanking is harder.
    Then you say....

I've been tanking sine way back in WotLK now, and healing on my shaman was harder than tanking.
    I went through all 5 pages waiting to see something about "when I was playing in BC" and then "back in vanilla" but was saddened to see neither one said by you. Your problem is (if its even true) you're a Wrath baby and don't know what hard dungeons & heroics are. You're used to EASY SPOONFED heroics from Wrath and a good part of Cata too. Tanking is not hard, it just takes someone paying attention to the thread of all mobs so your healer and dps aren't getting nailed by a mob you failed to pick up or hold agro on.

As for your statement how much dps you pull on AOE pulls and single target, so what? Tanks get this wonderful buff that increases their dmg when they are getting hit which means they will also be putting out more dps. On AOE pulls its not uncommon for tanks to be top dps because of that very reason. But here's the thing, tanks aren't meant to worry about their dps because they are there to HOLD AGRO ON EVERYTHING. Worry about your THREAT instead of paying attention to the DAMAGE METERS and things will go smoother.

You misunderstood me. Basically, you failed. I've been playing since early Wrath. Plus, might as well consider it like we all start playing again every xpac, especially Cata, since soo much changed. Congrats man, your trolling failed.
    I can't think of any class or spec that changed so much to the point that you had to "relearn how to play" when any expansion came out (and I'm a VANILLA PLAYER sweetheart). The only class or spec that comes close are feral druid when BC came out because they were finally a viable tanking class and viable melee dps class. The only things that have changed at the start of expansions are stat desires or changes to stats for every class. It has never been game breaking & everyone had to learn how to "start playing again" as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    You say tanking is hard? I say your problem is being a bear. I don't care about your DPS, your job is to hold threat, if you are pulling 11k deeps and can't hold threat, let me say it loud and clear: YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Shitting out numbers is the job of the DPS. I don't care if you do 1k damage so long as you hold aggro. You aren't pro for secretly wanting to DPS.

When I'm healing, if the dumbass DK is holding aggro more than you and not dying, here's a surprise, he's now my focus and I'll heal him over your ass. You can't hold aggro? I'll vote kick and find someone who will. I wait half an hour for a dungeon as a DPS and I don't have the patience and as a healer I don't have the mana to put up with tanks who think DPSing is more important than holding aggro. Shut the hell up, do your damn job and I'll do mine. If you can't do that, so help me the dungeon enables me to find someone who will.
    smrund I love you! I feel the same way. I've had tanks bitch at me when I'm on my druid because I've healed the dps over them in many situations where the tank can't hold threat and the dps are actually tanking most of the mobs. I don't care if a tank is squishy or takes more dmg than what better geared tanks take as long as they are holding agro therefore making me having to only focus on 1 person to heal....I actually prefer that since it shows they know how to tank & hold agro. When I see 3 pulls where the tank can't hold agro I say in party chat something along the lines of "this tank needs to go because he can't hold agro for shit" and generally the tank gets kicked soon after that.

Judging from the OP's lack of replying after he's been called out, I doubt he'll come back because its pretty obvious he's a bad tank.

Oh yeah Druidtank the most offensive thing you said (other than it idiotic things) was when you said
    Plus, in terms of a social context where I live, ass/bitch aren't really bad. Unlses you're a lesbian, for some weird reason. Fuck, however, everyone is like AMG. And Fuck originally wasn't sexual at all... but thanks for playing man.
    Not only did you show how immature you were (whether you really are some 14 year old brat posting on here or just have the mentality of one) but it showed your ignorance and total lack of respect.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2011-04-08 at 07:46 PM. Reason: removed the red

Quote Originally Posted by iorcedurmother View Post
    It is commonly known that dks are the most difficult tank class.
    In what way?

My main is a bear, and I have a dk (blood / frost) as my primary alt. They both seem to have their own difficulties/challenges, though.

The bear is significantly easier to mess up, build-wise. Gem, reforge, and trinketing the wrong way can lead to a completely unhealable tank, even when technically overgearing the content. The rotation is whatever -- easy, mostly gcd limited on harder content, but there's about a 1.5 times difference in threat between "focus on doing the rotation right" and "slacking off". Delaying a timing even a little tends to have a significant impact on threat. Rage is also (still) somewhat of an issue, too. Once I really overgear the content, I have to be more careful with the maul's, less my threat gen takes a nose-dive.

Gear-wise, the DK is mostly a joke. You have two basic builds (avoidance or mastery), but you have dedicated gear for it -- not rehashed leather dps gear. The rotation is more complicated, though, in that it requires more planning -- you want runes and/or rp to be available when certain cd's are up, and you don't want to waste a death rune because you're spamming heart strike out of nervous jitters. Threat, though, is a complete joke as a DK. I'm pretty sure they shit pure, concentrated aggro that instantly generates 50 billion threat on everything in the game, on all servers.

Once I got used to the DK's style, though, it didn't seem all that much harder than the bear. Most of the things one could list out that a DK has to monitor are handled transparently through the natural rhythm of ability use. Plus, the DK has more situational options/abilities than the bear, which tends to make those certain situations easier to handle.

---------- Post added 2011-04-08 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    smrund I love you! I feel the same way. I've had tanks bitch at me when I'm on my druid because I've healed the dps over them in many situations where the tank can't hold threat and the dps are actually tanking most of the mobs. I don't care if a tank is squishy or takes more dmg than what better geared tanks take as long as they are holding agro therefore making me having to only focus on 1 person to heal....I actually prefer that since it shows they know how to tank & hold agro. When I see 3 pulls where the tank can't hold agro I say in party chat something along the lines of "this tank needs to go because he can't hold agro for shit" and generally the tank gets kicked soon after that.
    Honestly, this sort of stuff depends on the situation. As a tank, when I see dps are tanking "most" of the mobs, then that probably means they're not attacking the designated target or no target was designated. If it's the later, then it can be fixed by marking skull. If it's the former, then, well, it's not exactly on the tank.

I can't hold aggro when three 15-18k dps players are attacking different mobs (unless I pop berserk). That's why I marked a skull and an x. If they want to attack everything but skull and X, then I'll taunt, aoe taunt, pop berserk... but that's all I can do. There are no more buttons to press. Druid aoe threat should be easier in the next patch, but that's not here yet. Even then, I doubt it'll be at the point where one could generate that much aggro on multiple mobs simultaneously. Seems like that was one of the things Blizzard got rid of in the WotLK -> Cata change.

My dk seems a bit easier, but I've only done guild runs with him so far. Stuff doesn't get messy until you solo queue rdf.
    Last edited by lotj; 2011-04-08 at 09:26 PM.

I'm going to go ahead and say this was uninformative and a waste of time. I will however give my 2 cents My main is heal and recently geared a tank, I have no dps characters. I love tanking but healing will always be my true love. I have to say I was nervous when i first tanked magmaw... then afterwards I felt useless cause i did nothing skillful whatsoever. I do think honestly that healing to any extent is the hardest and healing good is very hard. I don't accuse any particular role of being worse than others i've had bad healers, tanks and dps. I'm just going to put this out there....

Tanking is nerve racking at first, once you know what you're doing it's a JOKE. It's the easiest by miles. At first I was trembling with all that pressure on me... But having been doing it for a good while in heroic d's and raids it's a joke. Sure some fights are a little more hard for a tank, but Just being sincere I think healing and dps have it much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadAirSpace View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and say this was uninformative and a waste of time. I will however give my 2 cents My main is heal and recently geared a tank, I have no dps characters. I love tanking but healing will always be my true love. I have to say I was nervous when i first tanked magmaw... then afterwards I felt useless cause i did nothing skillful whatsoever. I do think honestly that healing to any extent is the hardest and healing good is very hard. I don't accuse any particular role of being worse than others i've had bad healers, tanks and dps. I'm just going to put this out there....

Tanking is nerve racking at first, once you know what you're doing it's a JOKE. It's the easiest by miles. At first I was trembling with all that pressure on me... But having been doing it for a good while in heroic d's and raids it's a joke. Sure some fights are a little more hard for a tank, but Just being sincere I think healing and dps have it much harder.
    Don't judge raid tanking off of Magmaw. I'm not going to make the claim that raid tanking isn't easy, but Magmaw's the single most boring thing to tank in Cataclysm. Even Agolath (or whatever the BH10 boss' name is) is more interesting.

For the most part, raid tanking's easy -- you don't have to deal with a lot of egos from bad players, stuff is kept under control, and generally there's less movement than melee dps. Your job is to keep the boss as stationary as possible, and to mitigate as much damage as possible. For the later, it's just about not turning your back to the boss, and knowing when to pop your cd's -- both of which stop really becoming important once you or your healers get some gear.

People claiming tanking is hard are referring exclusively to solo queuing 5-man heroic pugs, and the reasons they're giving are not content related -- it's the other players.

Quote Originally Posted by lotj View Post
    Don't judge raid tanking off of Magmaw. I'm not going to make the claim that raid tanking isn't easy, but Magmaw's the single most boring thing to tank in Cataclysm. Even Agolath (or whatever the BH10 boss' name is) is more interesting.

For the most part, raid tanking's easy -- you don't have to deal with a lot of egos from bad players, stuff is kept under control, and generally there's less movement than melee dps. Your job is to keep the boss as stationary as possible, and to mitigate as much damage as possible. For the later, it's just about not turning your back to the boss, and knowing when to pop your cd's -- both of which stop really becoming important once you or your healers get some gear.

People claiming tanking is hard are referring exclusively to solo queuing 5-man heroic pugs, and the reasons they're giving are not content related -- it's the other players.

my point, I'm 10/12 my point is pretty much every fight is the same as a tank. I was giving my prospective from when I first started talking. Mostly my point I'm sick of seeing everyone point their giant E dick at other players saying "look I'm awesome you suck" When I've had bad tanks, healers, and dps. theres bad players not bad roles. the reason dps is caught more often is well... hmmm.... basic maths... theres more fucking dps. everyone please stop with the e dick.