Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Theory: Computers will take over the world, but when ?

Okay I have a few assumptions about the future of humanity & technology:

- We will NEVER just stop researching. Technology will advance as long as humans exist
    - Intelligence is something that can be fully explained by science IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THIS, THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR YOU
    - Advances in technology speed up exponentially

From these 3 assumptions it is clear that we will create artificial intelligence similar to our own. This intelligence would be able to create even more advanced intelligence and so forth..
    So it is inevitable that "artificial" intelligence will become more powerful than human intelligence, which in return means that machines WILL take over the world at some point.

The question is: when will it happen ? What do you think ? I'd say 50-150 years. This may sound ridiculously soon, but think about what humans achieved in the last 50 years. A global Communication system, which stores nearly ALL information generated in the world, accessible by everyone at anytime, mobile phones that work nearly everywhere, airplanes that can't be controlled by humans anymore, just by computers, etc...

remember, computing power has grown exponentially for quite some time now, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
    Last edited by pixartist; 2011-04-09 at 12:53 PM.

They will only take over the world if it makes sense for them to do so. And because computers are digital it is still possible to install a kill switch in their programming or something along those lines, regardless of whether or not they're intelligent. And if they are intelligent they could end up falling into pitfalls similar to those humanity has fallen into.

Deleted
    I´m not entirely sure that Maschines WILL take over.
    The Man-Maschine-Interface is going to blur the lines between the two, so i rather think it will be more simbiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyman64 View Post
    They will only take over the world if it makes sense for them to do so. And because computers are digital it is still possible to install a kill switch in their programming or something along those lines, regardless of whether or not they're intelligent. And if they are intelligent they could end up falling into pitfalls similar to those humanity has fallen into.
    I'm not sure humans will be able to understand and modify the programming of machines that have been created by machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukaa View Post
    I´m not entirely sure that Maschines WILL take over.
    The Man-Maschine-Interface is going to blur the lines between the two, so i rather think it will be more simbiotic.
    That is possible, yes. But I'm not too convinced that man-machine symbioses will evolve quickly enough to keep up with pure technology development..
    Last edited by pixartist; 2011-04-09 at 11:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    its quite impossible to say when exactly... it might happen in a 100 years or it might not... but when it does i have this feeling EMP bombs will be teh keekee :P

Deleted
    On Discovery Channel they said that around 12 years from now they could program computers with a program wich would Create it's own universe that evolves on it's own.
    Also they calculated that around 15 years from now they could make computers work faster then our brains so maybe it will be faster then 50 years.
    Last edited by mmoccc52263ddf; 2011-04-09 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    They won't, We programme what they must do. They can develop themselves but not as much so they get more power than us. It's rubbish. If the computers "Take over the world" there must be a person controlling the computer, which means the programmer takes over the world. not the computer.

It's like saying the nutcracker cracked the nut for you. It's not true, you did it through a device.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenkachii View Post
    They won't, We programme what they must do. They can develop themselves but not as much so they get more power than us. It's rubbish. If the computers "Take over the world" there must be a person controlling the computer, which means the programmer takes over the world. not the computer.

It's like saying the nutcracker cracked the nut for you. It's not true, you did it through a device.
    I guess you don't really get the concept of Intelligence. Intelligence means that NO ONE programmed what they do. The programmer just provided a learning framework, just like the human brain. All decisions of an Intelligent being are based on either reflexes or what the person has learned. The same rules goes for artificial intelligence

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pixartist View Post
    I'd say 50-150 years.
    remember, computing power has grown exponentially for quite some time now, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
    1) Doubt 50-150 years is enough, unless we hit some breakthrough in technology.
    2) Moore's Law is estimated to collapse by 2020
    3) For computer to overtake the world and humans it would have to write its own code, which right now is impossible
    4) Current silicon chips will be old fashion in few decades... Quantum or some other way of computing will be the breakthrough!

Id say around 300 years or more, we are nowhere near for computers over taking the world.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2011-04-09 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterspark View Post
    1) Doubt 50-150 years is enough, unless we hit some breakthrough in technology.
    2) Moore's Law is estimated to collapse by 2020
    3) For computer to overtake the world and humans it would have to write its own code, which right now is impossible
    4) Current silicon chips will be old fashion in few decades... Quantum or some other way of computing will be the breakthrough!

Id say around 300 years or more, we are nowhere near for computers over taking the world.
    Yes, I do expect a breakthrough in computing technology within the next 20-50 years.
    Also, people have often called out the end of moore's law, and yet it never happened

Deleted
    Quite a while to say the least. It is still a struggle to have a computer follow a random forest for molecular prediction. Sure, they are great when it comes to crunching massive iterative calculations but as soon as you try to develop a predictive model that is not based off of an equation which can be solved by brute force then machines still struggle considerably.

the day we have space elevators

Computers will never take over the world because no matter how much our we advance in programming, computers will never truly be capable of thought.

Although I do think that as our technology and research advances we will see some amazing things done from AI, I am hoping that we can reach a point where we can integrate AI into a number of different technologies.

My money is on humans finally developing the technology to convert human memories into an electrical stimulus that a machine can properly interpret. The conversion of human thought into mechanical/electrical commands already exists but I'm talking about downloadable hard drives with entires lives/personalities on em. This would allow for a quasi-immortality for humankind, allowing for great leaps in further technological advancement. We shall spread through space in our unaging bodies and downloadable selves and conquer all in our wake....... now that I think about that sounds alot like the Cylons.

Computers already took over the world

some ppl find a computer more important then a partner or a happy life or a good job ..
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Solidseal View Post
    Computers already took over the world

some ppl find a computer more important then a partner or a happy life or a good job ..
    IRL is just a fancy dating service for computers, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinin View Post
    Also they calculated that around 15 years from now they could make computers work faster then our brains so maybe it will be faster then 50 years.
    Excuse me good sir, but computers are already much faster than human brain, look on google at super computers that manage bank systems or ur country's defense system

"sorry if bad english not main leng"

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I do expect a breakthrough in computing technology within the next 20-50 years.
    Also, people have often called out the end of moore's law, and yet it never happened
    Moores Law has been estimated to collapse by 2020, I don't recall being 2020 yet....

Sure we will see breakthrough in new, faster and better technology, seeing Quantum Computing evolve further and so forth. That said the bottom line is "Computers will take over the world, but when ?" No I don't think so, not anytime soon, unless Computers (programs, robots etc..) can write their own code, otherwise we will have to program them to take over the world.

Deleted
    I guess you don't really get the concept of Intelligence. Intelligence means that NO ONE programmed what they do. The programmer just provided a learning framework, just like the human brain. All decisions of an Intelligent being are based on either reflexes or what the person has learned. The same rules goes for artificial intelligence
    You do realize that they won't do anything if you don't programme a learning thing? Also you cannot let a robot thing for himself, it has no brain. it can adapt with the use of learning process, that doesn't mean it can think for itself and take over the world. thats a whole different thing.

Animals can learn from learningprocesses too but they can't think. ( Most animals ) and don't feel emotion. Being able to handle for yourself for the worse isn't something easy you can create.

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Computers will never take over the world because no matter how much our we advance in programming, computers will never truly be capable of thought.
    Wide-spread myth. On what do you base this theory ? If it's that "nothing can create something more complex than itself", then you forgot that many, many people work on the development of artificial intelligence. Their combined brainpower is much more than the intelligence of one person...

Quote Originally Posted by Tenkachii View Post
    You do realize that they won't do anything if you don't programme a learning thing? Also you cannot let a robot thing for himself, it has no brain. it can adapt with the use of learning process, that doesn't mean it can think for itself and take over the world. thats a whole different thing.

Animals can learn from learningprocesses too but they can't think. ( Most animals ) and don't feel emotion. Being able to handle for yourself for the worse isn't something easy you can create.

I don't bother replying to you, since you seem to have the mental capacity of a 3 year old...