Food for Thought

“I am a pretty good student, but last year I had some problems with grades and almost failed the year. It didn’t go so well when my mom found out about it, because
    she almost decided not to pay for my WoW subscription anymore. I told her it was not my fault, the teachers in my school suck anyway, they are terrible at explaining
    and have no culture. I don’t know why, but it seems to me that they pay little to no attention to us, the students.”

“I’m a pretty good player, but I have been having some serious problems with raiding since Cataclysm started. My raid leader tells me that I’m not pulling the numbers
    to be worth bringing to the group. I told him it was not my fault, my class is super under-powered at the moment anyway, the damage is awful, the rotation is terribly
    hard and to make matters worse, every other class seems so over-powered right now. I don’t know why, but Blizz seems to pay little to no attention to us, the subscribers.”

It is much more comfortable and convenient to blame someone else for your own failures then to admit them, learn from your mistakes and improve yourself.

Even though many things have changed on WoW over the years. maybe the problem doesn’t necessarily lie with the game, but with the gamer.

You truly are the voice of reason, OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

10+ Year Old Account
    tl;dr?

Less QQ, moar Pew Pew.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    Here's a hint: Type /played on any of your characters. If your total game time on that character is greater than 600 hours every year, there's a problem.

Here's my solution: Simply quit WoW, but still keep in the loop about recent changes, patches, etc. For example, when I quit wow (heck i am now) I checked mmo-champion and wow.com for recent techniques and stuff every two days or so. Make sure to keep in touch with former guildies, raiding buddies, and general acquaintances you are comfortable exchanging information with.
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

It does make a lot of reason, i know lots and lots who live of doing that, both in game and rl.

Very well writen post!

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    Quote Originally Posted by VoiceofReason View Post
    Even though many things have changed on WoW over the years. maybe the problem doesn’t necessarily lie with the game, but with the gamer.
    The problem therein is that it is generally a big problem for a social life if you tell friends and general assorted cliques that you play WoW. South Park made sure of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been tired of seeing how everything lately is Blizzard's fault in some people's heads.

The game does have its flaws, but the question remains: Are those flaws a failure by Blizz, or their attempt to accommodate a new generation of players?

Quote Originally Posted by sweepdeepsPL View Post
    The problem therein is that it is generally a big problem for a social life if you tell friends and general assorted cliques that you play WoW. South Park made sure of that.
    Say what? I don't know how things work over in "Shireshireshireton", but where I come from, friends etc. treats people with respect and don't judge them by which games they play.
    I consider anyone to be one big failure, if they at any point in their life feels that they can't tell their friends, that they play WoW.
    Last edited by Riboe; 2011-04-09 at 10:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

I agree, people need to take a look at what's actually going and instead of blaming everyone else, see if it's them instead. It's infuriating when you meet those type of people who just cannot grasp the concept of personal responsibility/accountability. Sadly, it seems to be a trend that's getting larger overall in the population nowadays.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

In Sociology, they name several of the generations that are born throughout history, naming each of the traits and differences between them, and relating each one to the historical context in the time they were born.

Most (not all of them) of the players in WoW are from the generation they call "Generation Y", which consists mostly of the people born around the year of 2000. This generation has been raised by parents who live in a world where social isolation is much more frequent, not because of lacking social skills, but actually because of the way everyone is egocentrical and self centered, minding their own business and chasing their own success and personal glorification.

Kids raised by those parents have learned first hand, how to blame others on their own mistakes, since the uncaring parents are keen on throwing the blame of their child's horrible education at the schools, movies, games, internet and so many others. Instead of facing that their lack of limits is what created the kids as they are

This created a new generation studied by Sociology and a new brand of gamers that have never heard from their parents a simple "NO" and won't take that from anyone.... Sadly, that's what forces the gaming industry to change their philosophies so much to adapt to the new kind of subscribers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VoiceofReason View Post
    In Sociology, they name several of the generations that are born throughout history, naming each of the traits and differences between them, and relating each one to the historical context in the time they were born.

Most (not all of them) of the players in WoW are from the generation they call "Generation Y", which consists mostly of the people born around the year of 2000. This generation has been raised by parents who live in a world where social isolation is much more frequent, not because of lacking social skills, but actually because of the way everyone is egocentrical and self centered, minding their own business and chasing their own success and personal glorification.

Kids raised by those parents have learned first hand, how to blame others on their own mistakes, since the uncaring parents are keen on throwing the blame of their child's horrible education at the schools, movies, games, internet and so many others. Instead of facing that their lack of limits is what created the kids as they are

This created a new generation studied by Sociology and a new brand of gamers that have never heard from their parents a simple "NO" and won't take that from anyone.... Sadly, that's what forces the gaming industry to change their philosophies so much to adapt to the new kind of subscribers.
    However, the year is now 2011 and the people born around 2000 is a very small part of the community in WoW, namely because you have to be 12+ to even play.

Other than that, I have met adults who have been more egocentric, immature etc. than some kids at the age of 13. We have to be careful generalizing the population and putting generations into certain boxes. This only forces stereotypes and so on. People have always been selfish and greedy, it's human nature. Some humans just have the willpower to overcome selfishness and greed and therefore evolve into greater human beings - Some fail at it and stay on the lowest level of humanity.