10+ Year Old Account

Am I correct with this about Maloriak HC?

I originally wrote this on my guilds forum earlier today, as we have had issues with progressing on Maloriak HC, and this is what I wrote about the "Release abberations" spell and how to handle it. Now I would want someone to confirm or deny the truth in this:

So, during our attempts I've analyzed the "Release abberation" sequences, and this is what I want to say:

First of all, there will be a total of five casts before each green phase, and we only need three casts to get the nine adds we want, in other words, two must be interrupted.

The first cast will occur before the black phase, and that one MUST be interrupted, and that we already know.

Then there will be four cast divided between the following blue and red phases.

What I wanted to bring up is that as far as we have noticed, interrupting during the red phase might occur in a third flame-breath, which have been the cause of wipes.

So therefore, the two during the red phase should NOT be interrupted.

So that brings us to one interrupted before the black phase, and two uninterrupted during the red phase.

We now have two casts left, and they will be during the blue phase. And as you probably have guessed, one will be interrupted and one will be uninterrupted.

So:
    1 cast before the black phase: Interrupted.
    2 casts during the red phase: Both Uninterrupted.
    2 casts during the blue phase: one of them will be interrupted.

So, by knowing this, handling the interrupts will be easier. Let's say as a rule that we always interrupt the first "Release Abberations" during the blue phase to avoid confusion.
    I appriciate any help!
    Vol'jin fanboy

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interrupt it before the dark phase.
    Interrupt first in the red/blue phase (which ever comes first).
    Let the next three go through.
    Interrupt all during green phase.
    Repeat.

For the record, it is a totally viable strategy to release one set of aberrations just before the first dark phase, and aoe down the 3 abberations along with the swills.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    For the record, it is a totally viable strategy to release one set of aberrations just before the first dark phase, and aoe down the 3 abberations along with the swills.
    This is what we have started doing and we have had much success with it. In this way, I only have to tank 6 abberations up through and during green phase DRASTICALLY reducing the incoming damage i tank while tanking the adds. Typically we try to let the very first 3 out and then 2 more sets of 3 during blue phase. We found that during red phase it can be a bad thing if one of the adds manages to scurry over real quick and say hi to someone near Maloriak during a breath as it increases the breath damage and will cause a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    This. We usually have 1 pack of abberations together with the slimes... if Maloriak feels like casting the spell before the first dark phase, that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that I didn't get any answer on my question, thanks for answers.

But wouldn't damage the tank takes just be insane with that strategy?
    Vol'jin fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam View Post

But wouldn't damage the tank takes just be insane with this strategy?
    The Vile Swills actual physical attacks aren't that bad, it's the puddles on the ground that are the danger which is the reason for kiting them in a circle around the room while they're aoe'd. In fact, as long as no puddles land under the kiting tank or any melee adding their aoe, you don't even really have to move them until there -are- puddles landing under them. The Vile Swills also do not receive the stacking protection buff that the Aberrations give each other and Maloriak.

If you get an Aberration cast before Dark Phase, let it go through, if not oh well. As for the Red and Blue phases, let your 2-3 casts of Aberrations go through in a row, or if your tank needs more time to pick them up for some reason, alternate and interrupt every other until you have let the 2-3 go, and then interrupt the rest.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam View Post

But wouldn't damage the tank takes just be insane with that strategy?
    The tank damage isn't too bad. Your analyses is not exactly correct, by the way, no. It's entirely random whether or not he'll cast release abberations before the first dark phase.

Frankly, you are overly complicating matters, usually the simple solution is the best.

- Maloriak will sometimes cast Release Aberrations before the first Black Phase. Do not interrupt this and AoE the Aberrations together with the Vile Swills. If he doesn't cast it, reset the boss and try again, unless your gear is rather good and you can handle tank healing with 9 adds (We've had some issues with this during progression).
    - Release 2 sets of adds afterwards, both of them in whatever ends up being the second of the two next phases. The last release will be cast only a few seconds before the green phase, so tank damage won't be that high. If you are going for 3 releases, then release 1 in in the first phase and 2 in the second.
    - He will release Aberrations once during green phase 100%. Let these pass.
    - At the end of the green phase he will again have a chance to release Aberrations just like at the start of the fight. Since you release the previous wave during the green phase to avoid the RNG on this one, interrupt it if it casts.