Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pzijderv View Post
    well assuming it would be totaly in elastic (was in the first post) there would not be a ripple effect realy. i seriously wouldnt know a way around this thought experiment. nice one though. il keep pondering on it a bit, might even ask a mechanics professor at university.
    i said ripple LIKE effect, sort of like those 5 ball things which you lift one end, it smacks into the other to cause the other end to move, transfer of energy.

Deleted
    I've being reading this; and I think it's related. I love the idea, despite it hurting my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardae View Post
    it will be significantly slower. we must remember that molecules are still subject to their mass and gravitational pull on eachother whereas light is not. There will be a streaching of the molecules general form and shape shape over that length and however insignificant it would be in the short term... compounded over lightyears you would develop a significant lag in the "immediate response" feeling we get when a physical object is moved.
    This, plus all of our observations depend on speed of light. So, no, nothing is faster.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by studkaw View Post
    This is meant to be a scientific discusion.

If you have a solid, unelastic, indestructable and lightweighted stick with a length of 1 au (distance between the sun and earth). If someone is pulling the stick in one of the ends. Shouldn't a secound person in the other end observe this action (assuming they agreed that the first person will pull the stick). Hasn't the information of someone pulling the stick traveled faster than the speed of light (it takes the light 8 min to travel this distance)? Dosen't information obey the theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?
    Never thought of that, really interesting. Going to ask my teacher and sound really smart :P

Yes.

H-Random Queues for tanks are faster than the speed of light

Actually talked about this a couple days ago with someone and there is a particle accelerator in Switzerland. It's a 40mile perfect circle tube "track" I guess you could say. They launched two particles in opposite directions around this and right before they were to hit a plate in the middle, they both, at the same time, decided to turn around and not go through the plate. This was demonstrated as being faster than the speed of light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well according to mass-energy equivalence, E=mc^2 nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light, much less above. But, when dealing with string theory and dimensions beyond the commonly known 3, and the less commonly know 4th (time), there are mass-less (or negatively massed particles) that travel faster than the speed of light.

Superman and The Flash

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever seen how fast that single teaspoon ends up in the bowl after you've done the washing up? Might be a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by scalebane View Post
    There is no such thing as an inelastic material. Period. It isn't possible. If you apply a force to a long rod it travels through it at roughly the speed of sound in the material.

However, it is possible for "something" to exceed the speed of light. Namely, the phase and group velocities of a wave, among other things. However, these are abstract concepts and not physical things. It is impossible for information to travel faster than the speed of light.
    there has been an experiment where a particle (cant remember the sort, could have been an electron) was "teleported" it moved over a set distance faster then the speed of light still keeping all its individual characteristics thus also transporting information. however marginal that information was. Got an article about it here in a magazine but i cant for the life find it on internet atm.

Deleted
    Hyperspace ?

Quote Originally Posted by pzijderv View Post
    there has been an experiment where a particle (cant remember the sort, could have been an electron) was "teleported" it moved over a set distance faster then the speed of light still keeping all its individual characteristics thus also transporting information. however marginal that information was. Got an article about it here in a magazine but i cant for the life find it on internet atm.
    if it helps, i believe what you're talking about was done with 2 different locations and mirrors (all i can remember)

currently, the speed of light is the fastest moving measurable, tangible entity known. there is a hypothesized subatomic particle (given the name gravitron, on the scale of quarks) that governs the interactions between objects based on mass, aka gravity. obviously, the speed at which a gravitron would "move" to have its affect on whatever bodies are in question would have to be much faster than the speed of light.

this is demonstrated by the following: consider if the sun exploded, and no longer emitted light or effectively existed to exert a mass... it would take a relatively long amount of time (on the scale of minutes? hours? ... not sure) for the light to go out as perceived by us on earth. however, instantaneously we would feel the effect of the earth falling out of orbit.

if this sort of thing interests you, i highly reccomend brian greene's "an elegant universe"... he writes to the layman and is infinitely eloquent in his book.

The speed of thought is faster than the speed of light.

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. ~Terry Pratchett

Couldn't help myself, and no i have not read anything in your post other than the headline.

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    if that was true, why is their no human with a reaction speed of 0.01 seconds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    Unforunetly not, because thoghts are made by electric and chemical impulses in the cells afaik

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Expansion of space between two points
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a theory that quarks (ïnsides" from an atoom) might be "communicating" with eachother that goes faster then the speed of light.
    Something to do with there spinning. Don't know the whole sotry though...

Quote Originally Posted by Regorill View Post
    currently, the speed of light is the fastest moving measurable, tangible entity known. there is a hypothesized subatomic particle (given the name gravitron, on the scale of quarks) that governs the interactions between objects based on mass, aka gravity. obviously, the speed at which a gravitron would "move" to have its affect on whatever bodies are in question would have to be much faster than the speed of light.

this is demonstrated by the following: consider if the sun exploded, and no longer emitted light or effectively existed to exert a mass... it would take a relatively long amount of time (on the scale of minutes? hours? ... not sure) for the light to go out as perceived by us on earth. however, instantaneously we would feel the effect of the earth falling out of orbit.

if this sort of thing interests you, i highly reccomend brian greene's "an elegant universe"... he writes to the layman and is infinitely eloquent in his book.
    Wrong Gravitiy has a speed of light. Gravitiy can have waves in it just as water.